Subject: How lopsided can 6p games get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dominion, the first player gets an advantage. It's not huge, but it's ain't nontrivial either. IMO, the tie breaker rules compensate for this somewhat, but not fully. That's in a 4p game. Now with 6p, the 1st player seems even more lopsided. Any opinions regarding this?

From me...

Just play two 3p games instead of a single 6p game....
--some places only have one larger table instead of several smaller ones
--They COULD split up, but they want the social closeness of one large group
--to some groups, splitting up into 2 or more groups is foreign concept
--To supplement some of the previous reasons, if the choices are between playing a 1.5 hour game of Dominion (half hour base, +30min for everyone being new, and +30min more for 2 extra players that means more turns and another empty deck/more Provinces to clear out to reach game end condition) or 1 hour game of Apples To Apples or 2 hour game of Quelf yukgulp, then I'd rather do a 6p game of Dominion.

So with a 6p game....
--I'd say let the experienced players go last. Won't work with absolute newbies, as unless you tell them what to do, they typically won't know what to do and won't win with a "1st few players" advantage anyways, but at least mid-level players benefit from this
--Perhaps spot the last few players 1 VP, or half a VP (this would mean first few players can't tie, they need to win clearly)

Any other thoughts to this? Is the 6p rules OK, or is it truly not worth bothering save for those 'dire' circumstances?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ackmondual wrote:

--Perhaps spot the last few players 1 VP, or half a VP (this would mean first few players can't tie, they need to win clearly)

rules wrote:
If the highest scores are tied at the end of the game, the tied player who has had the fewest turns wins the game.

Solved. If you went last, and it's tied, you win. The rules say so.

But I see what you mean. I think I'll do one game for 5, and 2 games for 6. Thanks for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played yesterday a 6p game. It was just as fun as a 4p game. It took a little longer, but not too much.

Bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many 6-player games over the last 12 months, and only found the game slightly longer.

I have never found the first player advantage too great - especially as we rotate this honor among the players anyway, so across 6 games it has levelled out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

rules wrote:
If the highest scores are tied at the end of the game, the tied player who has had the fewest turns wins the game.

Solved. If you went last, and it's tied, you win. The rules say so.

Not quite- if you went last, and it's tied, and the player you're tied with got a turn that you didn't, you win. The tiebreaker as written only kicks in if someone in the middle of the turn order ends the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.