6 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Raptor Command Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Adkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, This is my first post! So,i thought this would be a good variant to play. I would like some feedback before doing anything else. I have made it over bloated so that the wheat can be separated from the chafe. Although i think most of it is pretty good stuff. I tried to include some of the Thematic reasoning that I used in making the rules. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks, Podracer

Battlestar Galactica - Raptor Command mini-expansion

Purpose: Propose rules that expand the role of the Raptor in a way that is most like the TV series(2003).

Rules:

Two Types of Raptors:

TSR – Tactical Support Raptor – +1 to Viper Rolls and -1 to Raider Rolls in the same space area.
Note: If you are in Command of a TSR and your character is William Adama -2 to Raider rolls instead of, not in addition to the -1 to Raider rolls(Emotional Attached). If you are in command of a TSR and you Character is Saul Tigh +2 to Viper rolls instead of, not in addition to the +1 Viper rolls(Cylon Hatred).
Note: TSR Does NOT augment any rolls for or against Basestars.

NSR – Nuclear Strike Raptor – Does NOT augment dice rolls, Action: If in the same space area as a Basestar you may dock with and unload a nuke on that Basestar. Once die rolls are resolved, this NSR immediately becomes a TSR.

From the Command location
Action: Launch a Raptor, the Admiral may choose to load one of his nukes on board. You are now in command of this Raptor. (A player may do this instead of the two viper activations.)
Note: The player STAYS on Galactica, and may still use other locations while in command of a Raptor.
Note: If the Admiral does not load a nuke on board the Raptor is immediately considered a TSR.
Note: A player can only be in command of one Raptor at a time.

Raptor FTL: The Player in command of a Raptor may choose to keep his Raptor in the same space area when the fleet jumps. If not the Raptor is returned to the reserves.

Movement is governed by the following:
1.Only the player in command of the Raptor may move the Raptor.
2.On that player's movement step the Raptor may be moved to an adjacent space area instead of moving the players character token.

Updated Raider AI:
1.Piloted Viper
2.Unmanned Viper
3.Raptor (6-7 Damaged, 8 destroyed)
4.Civilian Ship

Note: To repair a Raptor it costs one full repair card while a player is in the Hanger Deck Location to repair one Raptor.(Advanced avionics, FTL)
Note: If a NSR is Damaged the nuke token is recovered and the Raptor is placed in the Damaged Section. If destroyed, the Raptor is removed from the game, and two out of the following Skill cards must be used to recover the Nuke token (Strategic Planning, Repair, Declare Emergency, Launch Scout) otherwise the Nuke is destroyed (Roll a Die if 7-8 Damage Galactica once(Explodes too close to Galactica)).

NSR Basestar Nuke Die Roll Result.
1-2 Damage Twice
3-6 Destroyed
7-8 Destroyed and destroy three raiders in the same space area.

IF the target of this nuke is DESTROYED(3-8) Roll another Die
6-7 Damage another Basestar in the same or adjacent area once
8 Damage another Basestar in the same or adjacent area twice.
(The First Basestar Explodes from inside and part of it may hit an adjacent Basestar)

Note: A Scientific Research skill card may be used instead of a Strategic Planning (but not both) to increase the die roll(Nuclear Yield) by 2 on the first die roll. For the second roll a Strategic Planning may only be used.
Note: If Karl “Helo” Agathon is in command of a Raptor he may use his “ECO Officer” Ability on both die rolls.
Optional Rule: If “Boomer” is in command of a NSR and if William Adama is the Admiral, then after using the NSR Action, despite the result, Immediately Send Boomer to the Brig and William Adama to the Sick Bay.

Other considerations:
1.If the player in Command of a Raptor is put in the Brig or becomes a revealed clylon the Admiral is now In command of the Raptor. That player does not get the Command back.
2.If a player in Command of a Raptor is put in the Sick bay then the Admiral takes Command of the Raptor until the original players gets out of the sick bay. Note: Command of a Raptor may not be transferred in any other way.
3.Only two Raptors may be in play at any one time.
4.A Raptor must be in the RESERVES to be risked by Skill cards, crisis cards, or destinations.
5.A person in command of a Raptor may be the target of a Executive Order skill card and use the movement step to move the Raptor.
6.A player may be piloting a Viper and still be in command or a Raptor.
7.Raptors or any type CAN NOT be given an attack action.
8.The Evasive Maneuvers Skill card may be used on Raptors of any type.
9.There is no restriction on what character type(Military leader, Political leader, Pilot, Support) can command Raptors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick thoughts, I'll add more later if others don't beat me too it;

Its Only Fair... If you make Raptors weapons (which they are not in the base game) then it's only fair that they should be able to be targeted by Raiders and (maybe?) Heavy Raiders. In other words, there needs to be a dice table and logic rules for how and when Raptors can be attacked... On that note...

Give Heavy Raiders some new rules too maybe?

Balance: from first glance it appears to me like the dice roll results for the NSR might be a little too favorable. I think that the dice should have some possibility of destroying the Raptor, or maybe the nuke not working at all (as in; The Crew did not escape the blast, or had to detonate early, or were shot down before being able to dock/detonate)

But what about the Cylons?; There needs to be nice juicy ways for Unrevealed Cylons to betray humanity if they trusted and are foolishly given command of a Nuclear Strike Raptor. Maybe the ability to use the Nuke to blow up in a cluster of Civies, or Vipers? both seem appropriate. Of course, doing this is certainly an instant reveal ^_^, but damned if I wouldn't do it, given the chance.

Also, If given command of a Tactical Raptor, an Unrevealed Cylon should be able to flip the bonus's around, Give the plus's to the Cylon Raiders (The Raptor is relaying positions and Tactical information to the Cylon Baseship and Raiders) and minus's to the Vipers (The Raptor is jamming colonial frequencies and otherwise being a general saboteur)

Anyway, Just some thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, and Balance and fairness wise, I don't think Helo should ever be allowed to use his re-roll more than once per turn, no matter how thematic it may be. If you want a thematic reason as to why, just imagine there is only so much skill or talent, or ability to focus that he has, and that it's this that lets him pull off things that others could not in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Adkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Good comments but,

Its Only fair - there is a section dedicated to this very topic already.

Balance - i set it up this way to satisfy the question "Why go through all this trouble if the admiral can easily just nuke the Basestar and be done with it." there has to be some kind of incentive.

What about the cylons - this area i know is lacking, definitely needs beefing up.

Keep comments coming please.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Adkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Most likely Chafe. I just threw in every idea i had in after setting up the basics.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Brueggemann
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one idea that occurred to me regarding piloted raptors, is to allow te Raptor pilot to activate or move any two ships in their space zone (anything but a basestar), but cannot themselves attack directly. Effectively serving as a very localized Command/CIC and Communications location. The real pilots might still be better off in Vipers, so they can use their special abilities.

Parking a piloted raptor outside the docking areas is a strong defense against heavy raiders -- which tend not to arrive in groups of 3 or more -- unless the raptor pilot is an unrevealed cylon, who could potentially decimate the fleet and then reveal. Likewise, with defending civilian ships. This is balanced by the fact that much of the time, there's nothing to do in a Raptor, and someone who spends an excessive amount of time doing nothing (particularly in a Raptor) really needs to be brigged on general principal.

The other problem is that there's nothing preventing an Infiltrating Cylon Leader from taking a Raptor out... unless hostile Raptors can be shot down by Galactica or Pegasus, or Vipers. In which case, it should be resolved as an Execution, I would think, plus destruction of a Raptor. It still may be worth it, for them... and is also thematically appropriate, I think.

Raptors should definitely be high priority targets, but putting them ahead of Vipers would make them far too risky to actually use. So, Vipers, Raptors, then civilians. That way, they still need vipers to cover them.

So, how's that, for raptors with teeth? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.