Popular Tags: VAMP [+] [View All]
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most esteemed Father,
I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. Dr. Van Helsing's tenacity has no equal as our little group hunted the Evil One for a fourth campaign on the continent. We pledged to drive the destroyer of our beloved Lucy into oblivion, and we won't rest until it is accomplished. We have failed three times to bring the Count down, and this time we vowed that prudence would be the virtue that would move events in our favor.

Arthur, Lord Godalming, Started in Italy at Bari. You humble son began in Salonika. Dr. Van Helsing's quest began in Cadiz and Mina pressed on from Edinburg. The first days events seem to be foreboding. Events fell in the counts favor 3 to 1 as we gathered items to combat the undead. When night finally came upon us, the Count could be heard laughing at our party as he discarded events he could not use. We were undeterred as we compiled a strong arsenal to combat the count. Arthur and Dr. Van Helsing both acquired a good team of dogs.

After four days into the adventure I hired scouts in Berlin and Marseilles, but hey came up empty. A new day was dawning and we closed in on Prussia. I had searched the cities of Valona, Sofia, Bucharest, Galatz, and Klausenburg. Arthur cleared Naples, Rome, Florence, Venice and consecrated ground in Munich. Mina's efforts on the Isle found no evidence of Dracula and was in London preparing to go to sea. Dr. Van Helsing cut through Iberia and with a chartered carriage from Bordeaux, raced to Cologne. The Good Doctor took the Count by surprise and found one of his vampire brides at midnight. We were Forewarned, the vixen was eliminated, and we were only one day behind Evil's track.

We could smell the fear in the air as Dracula fled in wolf form. We all agreed the Count was fleeing west and we moved with haste to catch up with Him. Milan and Budepest were cleared as Mina landed in Le Havre. Van Hesling's sixth sense discovered Dracula in Brussels, but a thick blanket of fog foiled any attempt to bring the Count to terms. Arthur found remnants of Dracula's trail in Strasburg and his dogs dispersed rabid rats. I used resolve to enter Paris with great haste and found Dracula waiting there in another bank of fog! We were close, oh so close, Father. As we searched Burgundy, Normandy and Austria, we found ourselves one day behind the Count as twilight came upon us.

Mina found the trail at Clermont-Ferrand but was attacked by unholy bats. As Mina retreated to Geneva we charged towards Iberia. I went to Marseilles and Van Helsing traveled to Bordeaux. We were hot on the Counts trail, and we sensed desperation during a long day. We had to get to him before he escaped to the sea. A road block was set up between Marseilles and Toulouse, but good luck avoided our delay. Prudence had Dracula on the ropes as no new events were exposed that could aid the Undead. Yet, I was once again stopped cold in Toulouse by more of that blasted fog! Midnight approached and Van Helsing kept the pressure on Dracula, riding a train into Madrid as Mina discovered a vampire in Saragossa. He can't be far we cried!

We could hear the Count laughing at the stoke of midnight as he boarded a ship into the night, but it was we who laughed last that day! The Count was not expecting stormy seas in the Bay of Biscay, but we were. His ship could only land at Bordeaux or Arthur's location in Nantes. The Count decided to fight! An epic battle started with Dracula's rage discarding Arthur's garlic. The Count soon came to regret not dispersing Lord Godalming's dogs! Lord Godalming entered combat with advanced planning as Dracula attempted to mesmerize but got blasted by Arthur's rifle. A dodge by the Count was successful, but he was then blasted again as his mesmerize equalled by Arthur's rifle, but the dogs swayed the action in Arthur's favor. Oh the dogs, Father, they were magnificent, and the helped Lord Godalming strip the Count 'till he was half dead! We cheered as Arthur seemed to have victory in his hands, blasting the Count after every dodge. Yet, victory was not to be ours so early in the hunt, Dracula managed to escape as a bat, and we were hot on his trail racing back to Eastern Europe.

Dracula had escaped, and worse yet, Van Helsing was seduced and bitten by the vampire Mina had discovered. We still were only a day or two behind the Count as we continued on to Germany. We pressed on, clearing rats and other encounters, getting ever closer to Him. Our discipline was high, so there were no new events to allow the Count to evade us. Then desecrated soil matured and Dracula had more events to afflict us with. Many of us had trouble with the continental rail system, and Van Helsing's sixth sense told him Dracula was in Nuremburg as the dawn arrived. He resolved to race ahead and combat the Count. He was right again, and bloody combat ensued. To our dismay, it was Van Helsing's blood. The Doctor's heath was halved due to the strains of resolve, and his bite gave Dracula an edge in combat. Van Helsing was dispatched before he could escape Dracula's claws, and he retired to St. Mary's and St. Joseph's.

Father, we knew the Count's route, but once again, even Arthur had trouble with the trains. The Count's options were few as Munich was consecrated and Van Helsing was resting and re-supplying at the Convent. I was so close and truly prepared to face the Stain. I carried Heavenly Host, a stake and a cross, but was stripped of it by peasants in Budepest, all that remained was a knife and pistol. Our worries did not end there. Mina was subjected to a customs search in Prague and lost all her accoutrements! Things went from bad to worse as I ran into a stout minion of the Count and took considerable damage before I could escape. Our hubris now disappeared. He was in the Balkans, We were in the Balkans, but all we knew was there was a wolf running around our camps!

Time had become of the essence. Mina found a vampire in Vienna, but with no cross or Heavenly Host, our campaign almost ended as the vampire escaped. I stumbled on to a vampire in Szedge and that she-devil also escaped me. Now there were three vampires in the night and four hunters ill prepared to face them. Van Helsing decided to act. His sixth sense was tingling again, and believed Dracula to be in Varna. He marched of after the Count into Sofia. There, a minion with a rifle was in wait, and he shot, stabbed, shot, and stabbed Van Helsing who tried valiantly to escape. The Doctor was no match, and without his dogs, he was defeated, and now so are we.

So Father, once again we rest and wait for the next opportunity to hunt the Evil One. Pray for us!
Respectfully,
John Seward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great game and another great session report John! You must have stayed up late to write that one!

As I was Van Helsing, I took great joy in successfully guessing where the Count would be (or had been in the case of Cologne) on 3 seperate - and crucial, times. We had plenty of good items to attack him, but he managed to escape Lord Godalming the first time (after losing 1/2 his blood) and then he was able to play some events and encounters to dilute or discard what the rest of us had.

We we leery of drawing more events as if Evasion came up, we knew we'd lose, but it also kept us from gaining any help either. Had the earlier draws been more in line with the odds, I think we would have had enough event cards to beat him.

As it was, towards the end I managed to gain some items at St.Josesph's and St. Mary's, but not enough of them quickly enough (and the wrong ones) to protect me from his minion with the rifle and deal the death blow to Dracula. For the record, I KNEW he had gone to Veluna too! Had I escaped or defeated his Minion, John was a dead (dead) man! laugh

As always, John played an excellent game with few mistakes as Dracula and it was a well desrved win on his part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott,
I really enjoyed that game and my wife was fasinated by the glee and comradery expressed by all those on the hunt. She went to bed sure Dracula was soon to be history and I was toast. You really played outside you normal SOP and had me on the ropes. I will be more cautious next time!devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I threw caution to the wind and went for the kill!

I thought for sure you were going to end up more dead than you already were. I look forward to our next encounter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.