Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a graph regarding the rising of Steam to have an overview - then Lowengrin suggested to compare it with the ranking curve of Le Havre, what I did - then I started to add some data of Dominion:Intrigue, which were not too many. The graph looks like this now:

As you can see, this game rushes up!

The questions arising (to me):

1. Has anybody more data? Any rank for any date before these days to add to the graph?

2. Is it just hype? Are people so excited of getting this, they overrate it?

3. Is the rush linked to the still fresh Dominion fever?

4. Where will it end (at least for a couple of weeks)?

5. Will it drop again? And why?

I will keep this graph updated each day (14th of July there was no update on BGG - ???) and show it here and on the Steam thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/422207

Edit 17th July: It seems, Dominion describes the same bending curve as Steam, just a bit higher.

Edit: I will continue a bit and see, what happens. The curves are somehow shifted, but more or less "equal" ... Considering Le Havre is #7 at the moment, I am curious ho things develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the game is still new, it also offers something unique among games. It captures the addictive element of CCG play without being a CCG. The value of that is enormous. It would not surprise me at all to see Dominion continue to rise for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:

I have only played 7 games of Intrigue yet. At the moment, i rate it lower than Dominion itself.

But it's the expansion effect: People who didn't like Dominion won't try Intrigue, so less low ratings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
But it's the expansion effect: People who didn't like Dominion won't try Intrigue, so less low ratings.

Good point! The highest rated games with more than 300 ratings are all expansions. Forgot about this.

But it is playable alone, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue doesn't get a rating of it's own from me. To me... it's just an expansion. And thus it gets the expansion effect as those above mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my belief that Intrigue will eventually rank higher than 'basic' Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that part of Intrigue's meteoric rise is due to the "expansion effect", I don't think it's fair to blame that when comparing the game to Steam, which is really just a new edition, and similarly, will be getting a whole bunch of votes from people who already know and love the product.

It actually looks to me like the steep curve for Dominion matches up with the hype surrounding Steam in the early days. Dominion will peter out eventually (just as the hype for Steam is settling now), but Dominion will be higher in the rankings, which makes perfect sense - Dominion seems to appeal to a wider range of gamers here on the 'geek than Steam does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
It is my belief that Intrigue will eventually rank higher than 'basic' Dominion.

Just played my first 4 games on intrigue last night, and i would have to agree with this sentiment.

Intrigue breathes new life into the system, and got my group really excited to play again.

It even makes you look at the basic games' cards in a different light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
While It actually looks to me like the steep curve for Dominion matches up with the hype surrounding Steam in the early days. Dominion will peter out eventually (just as the hype for Steam is settling now), ...

When Steam was between #100 and #70, its rise was in fact almost parallel ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:

The questions arising (to me):

1. Has anybody more data? Any rank for any date before these days to add to the graph?

3. Is the rush linked to the still fresh Dominion fever?

4. Where will it end (at least for a couple of weeks)?

5. Will it drop again? And why?

I will keep this graph updated each day and show it here and on the Steam thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/422207

Well the question that arises to me is: Why bother?

Get the game, play it and enjoy it. It's why it exists. The ranks are a good way to get the game on one's radar, but that's about it. Since Intrigue is on my radar already (and I hope soon on my shelf), I couldn't care the slightest about its rank, graph or its derivation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Well the question that arises to me is: Why bother?

Get the game, play it and enjoy it. It's why it exists. The ranks are a good way to get the game on one's radar, but that's about it. Since Intrigue is on my radar already (and I hope soon on my shelf), I couldn't care the slightest about its rank, graph or its derivation.

I haven`t said that all this is important or bothers me. It`s just a fun observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.