Servant Scope
msg tools
mb
Hey, I like the concept of this game, altough I have never played it. I wish somebody uploaded the rules to this game or had a PBEM game which I could join. *sigh* I'm not even sure this board is active.

Anyway, the Desert Storm optional rules had this basically: Iraq is acting like a rogue nation, causing for other nearby nations to reconsider their current objective. If War Fever is at 10 for two turns, any player may choose to change his war aim to "CONQUER IRAQ".He must announce that he is changing his war aim. If the person's current waraim already includes Conquering Iraq, then he cannot legally change his War Aim to just "Conquering Iraq" (altough I do believe he should be allowed to say that he is changing his war aim, if only to make the diplomacy game more complex).

However, I am worried that the end result would be every nation and their brother decide to support "Conquering Iraq". Israel, Iran, ModArabs, VolArabs, and the USA may all decide to bury the hatchet and dogpile on the poor Iraqi Batathists. And my view of Conquering is just making sure the country no longer exist, so it could lead to countries who are currently losing their Waraim and possibly dying off in order to change their Waraim, and let the Americans do the dirty work of destroying Iraq while the country in question focuses on just surviving long enough to the end of the game, For example, if the ModArabs are stuck with the "Political Leadership" waraim and are busy being invaded by the Israelis wanting to recreate Ancient Israel, the ModArabs can shout their support for destroying Iraq, and thereby focus on surviving at least long enough so that they can claim victory.

I am okay with countries uniting to overthrow Saddam, as long as there is still tension. So, here are my revised rules:
*USA may decide to change its waraim to "Conquer Iraq".
*VolArabs and Iran may change its waraim to "Conquer Iraq. Make sure that [your Side here] owns one Iraqi site at the end of the game."
*Israel and Moderate Arabs may change its waraim to "Conquer Iraq. Make sure that VolArabs and Iran DOES NOT own any Iraqi sites at the end of the game." Israel also must make sure Iran doesn't control any non-Iraqi sites as well.

I also see that Iraq is unable to change its war aim...so I have another suggestion.

If War Fever is at 10 for two turns, Iraq knows that the writing is on the wall, but will not go down without a fight (hence why Iraq is acting like a rogue nation and possibly leading to other nations switching their waraims to conquer Iraq!). Iraq may declare that it is switching its Waraim objective to Islamic Jihad: Make sure 10 US/Israeli units are killed, and ensure that the Jihad rating hits 10 ATER Iraq made its declaration (so that Iraq gets to be known as a heroic Jihad nation, as opposed to being known as a secular infidel dictatorship). The Iraqi player must keep track of the the US/Israeli casualty rating from the begining of the game, to ensure that he can switch over to this Waraim.

If Iraq already have Islamic Jihad as its waraim, then he does not need to make this announcement, altough Iraq may do so anyway in order to fool other Sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I've asked WOTC (who took over TSR) who actually owns the right to this game now.They haven't replied though. I guess this game is "abandonware", but still I don't think BGG would approve uploading of the rules.

PM me your email address, and I'll send you scanned copies of the rules!

As for the proposed change: The DSU "expansion" is not much use imho.
The game is much better (balanced) in the OOB rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.