Matt Perry
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I just posted a quick tutorial on 'How to Make a Nice SVG Map with Gimp and Inkscape (the Quick and Easy Way)'

It basically uses Gimp to generate a topographic terrain map,and Inkscape to turn that rastor graphic into an SVG for use in video games, on the web, and are great for Print and Play (PnP) games or additional maps for your favorite board games.

tutorial: http://simplemediagroup.net/?p=423

enjoy

matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The inkscape pics are not showing up for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perry
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
What step are you on? Which part is not showing up?

I'll try to give some added tips

thanks

matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the pictures after step 10 are broken.

Jesse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand why you would want to turn the bitmap into vector art like that. In the general case I understand why to for instance make vector art from a photo, but in this case the resulting drawing is likely to scale worse (and use more computing resources) than using the original bitmap. Including a SVG renderer might not be easy on all platforms either. Maybe I miss some part of the logic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
United States
Mesa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here after pic ten the rest dont show up. Im on a mac so that might be why.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pulpy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Same here, on windows xp and firefox. I've tested it with IE7 and the same thing is happening, plus the number of each step are out of the window.. but this last bug doesnt really matter because who use IE ?

I'm looking forward to ready this tutorial : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perry
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
There was an image issue with my host...they say that it should be corrected now.

Sorry folks

Thanks for your patience.

matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perry
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
pelni wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why you would want to turn the bitmap into vector art like that. In the general case I understand why to for instance make vector art from a photo, but in this case the resulting drawing is likely to scale worse (and use more computing resources) than using the original bitmap. Including a SVG renderer might not be easy on all platforms either. Maybe I miss some part of the logic.

You can simply create a very large raster image so that scaling isn't an issue and skip the SVG steps altogether. However for instances where, like myself, you don't have a television or monitor for playing games, but rather a very large video enhancer projector and a two story wall, raster graphics would need to be enormous to lose their alias artifacts, however if all the art is rendered as vector images the scaling comes in very handy. This is especially true if you want to create a very small raster image and then scale it up over 1000% and still have a viable image to work with. Even so it does take a bit of time or power to render multilayer SVG images, luckily I have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.