Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is weather, or are weather influences, incorporated in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:

Yes. If you look at the living rules, you'll see what kind of weather conditions there are in the various territories.I do wonder though where all the other rules are. I cannot imagine these couple of pages is it....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/SturmEuropaLivingRule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Jan van der Laan wrote:

Yes. If you look at the living rules, you'll see what kind of weather conditions there are in the various territories.I do wonder though where all the other rules are. I cannot imagine these couple of pages is it....

That version of the rules hasn't been updated in over a year. The rules are significantly different now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
boersma8 wrote:
Jan van der Laan wrote:

That version of the rules hasn't been updated in over a year. The rules are significantly different now.

Any idea where we might find those then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
The living rules won't be updated until the game goes to outside playtesting in August. The link on BGG is very outdated and was only a preview of the first couple sections.

As for weather, it is an integral part of the game. Mud occurs at the start of Spring and end of Autumn. All attacking units hit on a 6 only instead of 5,6 for infantry and 4,5,6 for armor and no blitzes or breakthroughs. Defender is not affected. Winter affects only units NOT in a home territory and they incur a -1 DRM on attack and defense. There is quite a bit of suspense with mud as players roll each action round to see if the weather turns. The fate of Moscow can come down to a weather dice roll if the Soviets can't hold Smolensk.

The weather leads to campaigns following cyclical patterns. Germany usually only has enough oil to launch one general offensive a year. I can't imagine too many situations where that will occur in Autumn or Winter. If the Allies don't launch Overlord in the Summer of 43, they generally have to wait until the Summmer of 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
The living rules won't be updated until the game goes to outside playtesting in August. The link on BGG is very outdated and was only a preview of the first couple sections.

As for weather, it is an integral part of the game. Mud occurs at the start of Spring and end of Autumn. All attacking units hit on a 6 only instead of 5,6 for infantry and 4,5,6 for armor and no blitzes or breakthroughs. Defender is not affected. Winter affects only units NOT in a home territory and they incur a -1 DRM on attack and defense. There is quite a bit of suspense with mud as players roll each action round to see if the weather turns. The fate of Moscow can come down to a weather dice roll if the Soviets can't hold Smolensk.

The weather leads to campaigns following cyclical patterns. Germany usually only has enough oil to launch one general offensive a year. I can't imagine too many situations where that will occur in Autumn or Winter. If the Allies don't launch Overlord in the Summer of 43, they generally have to wait until the Summmer of 44.

Sounds good! On a sidenote; has a picture of the ACTUAL map been posted somewhere? And, I take it river effects are still included in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a preview of the Western Front map. Please note this is a PLAYTEST map and the final map will be much nicer. The yellow, white, and black sqaures represent manpower, steel, oil, and capital. The x2 are mountain territories. The blue borders indicate rivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Harris
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice indeed! A few questions though. Why are some harbours red and others white? Is there anything to represent the Maginot line or does that make it too hard for the axis? I also take it you haven't applied the seazones yet?

Just things I'm wondering, it's shaping up very nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
Here's a preview of the Western Front map. Please note this is a PLAYTEST map and the final map will be much nicer. The yellow, white, and black sqaures represent manpower, steel, oil, and capital. The x2 are mountain territories. The blue borders indicate rivers.

Map looks good!I couldn't help but notice the river Rhine suddenly seems to end upon reaching the Dutch border, whereas of course it doesn't; I mean that was the whole idea behind Market Garden. Is that going to be different for the final map or was this done because of space limitations? ( I can imagine it's difficult to divide our HUGE country up into a northern and a southern half):D!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like the three territories in Northern France as opposed to the two you have e.g. in Europe Engulfed. It gives the French more areas to defend and the Germans more of an option of where to attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
m3tan wrote:

Map looks good!I couldn't help but notice the river Rhine suddenly seems to end upon reaching the Dutch border, whereas of course it doesn't; I mean that was the whole idea behind Market Garden. Is that going to be different for the final map or was this done because of space limitations? ( I can imagine it's difficult to divide our HUGE country up into a northern and a southern half)!

I've shifted the Rhine to the Belgian / Dutch border so that I can limit the Netherlands and Belgium to two territories. Three territories just doesn't work for the scale of the game. Believe or not I was considering combining the Netherlands and Belgium into one region called Benelux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max89 wrote:
Very nice indeed! A few questions though. Why are some harbours red and others white? Is there anything to represent the Maginot line or does that make it too hard for the axis? I also take it you haven't applied the seazones yet?

Just things I'm wondering, it's shaping up very nicely.

Red ports are shipyards as well (until I find a nicer icon). White ports are just regular ports. The Maginot line is a counter that is removed after French surrender. I am thinking on just pre-printing on the map however - nobody ever attacks east-to-west into Metz after 1940...

There are only 6 sea zones! The sea zones are abstracted to convoy and control boxes. The only thing missing right now is pre-printed numbers to determine if air units have the range to reach cross sea destinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, but I have a couple of functional concerns.

First, I notice that there are a lot more territories than there are in, say, Europe Engulfed. You've gone for a different layout and I like that. Territory density seems to be lower than on the Eastern Front half of the map, however.

Functionally, the oil-steel-manpower-capital icons are great. I have a practical concern relating to "devastated" markers, however. Unless the devastation markers are resource-specific (which seems like it'd be wasteful), then you may have problems with counters moving around on the board. The resource symbols are awfully close together. "Was it a capital resource devastated, or a manpower resource?"

From a design standpoint, I'm not too fond of the mountainous terrain symbols. I always liked EE's "rough terrain" symbol, which is so easy to read. That's the downside of overlaying the territories on a stylized topographical map. The background green and brown don't have a game function, but clutter up the map.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a graphical designer, nor do I play one on TV.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
I like it, but I have a couple of functional concerns.

First, I notice that there are a lot more territories than there are in, say, Europe Engulfed. You've gone for a different layout and I like that. Territory density seems to be lower than on the Eastern Front half of the map, however.

Functionally, the oil-steel-manpower-capital icons are great. I have a practical concern relating to "devastated" markers, however. Unless the devastation markers are resource-specific (which seems like it'd be wasteful), then you may have problems with counters moving around on the board. The resource symbols are awfully close together. "Was it a capital resource devastated, or a manpower resource?"

From a design standpoint, I'm not too fond of the mountainous terrain symbols. I always liked EE's "rough terrain" symbol, which is so easy to read. That's the downside of overlaying the territories on a stylized topographical map. The background green and brown don't have a game function, but clutter up the map.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a graphical designer, nor do I play one on TV.)

The Eastern Front was recently totally redone so there are fewer territories there as well. Still more than Europe Engulfed but only slightly.

Resources are devastated as soon as they are captured. The territories need to be garrisoned for the resources to be exploited. So there are no longer any devastation markers per se.

I don't like the mountainous terrain symbols either. They are the one symbol that I'm very likely to replace. But again this is a playtest map entirely created with my limited Illustrator skill set. Academy will have a professional graphic designer create something from scratch once we've finalized the functional details of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
The Eastern Front was recently totally redone so there are fewer territories there as well. Still more than Europe Engulfed but only slightly.

I'd wondered about that. Given the four-turn-per-year time scale, I was wondering if there was too much ground for the Wehrmacht to cover in the East. I'd assumed that was something that playtesting would cover, and it sounds like it did.

m3tan wrote:
Resources are devastated as soon as they are captured. The territories need to be garrisoned for the resources to be exploited. So there are no longer any devastation markers per se.

Ah. Good solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
m3tan wrote:

I'd wondered about that. Given the four-turn-per-year time scale, I was wondering if there was too much ground for the Wehrmacht to cover in the East. I'd assumed that was something that playtesting would cover, and it sounds like it did.

m3tan wrote:

Ah. Good solution.

Actually the biggest problem was that Russia was IMPOSSIBLE to garrison. Germany had to spend over 20 manpower to garrison their historital highwater mark. The garrisons did more "damage" than the Russians did. That number has been reduced by about 25% which is still an enormous burden for Germany but no so bad that they don't even want to invade in the first place.

It's actually quite easy for the Germans to reach Moscow in the hands of an experienced Axis player. The problem is garrisoning everything behind you and having any manpower left to withstand a Russian counterattack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words: Any hack can get to Moscow, if you outrun your supply train.

Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.