Subject: Another go at it as Romans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Kloby
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hi,

Well my friend and I are soon going to play SOJ. We've played it at least 5 times and the Judeans have always won, Roman casualties got out of hand.

I will be playing the Romans this time around, and will be trying a few new tactics. I need to review the rules again so if you see any errors here please correct me.

1) I noticed it's probably worthwhile to spend 5 weeks before each of the first 4 assault periods, this guarantees at least 1 additional armored tower and if you roll a 6, 7, or 8 on the interphase roll the other aspects of the interphase roll should be highly favorable.

2) I have to recheck this in the rules but artillery may not be able to fire from rubble. If this is indeed the case it means road/gate hexes must be captured intact. The roads can be used to bring the artillery inside the just captured/demolished section of wall to support the heavy infantry assault on the built up area. The assault on the built up are needs to occur asap because the artillery will need a few turns to get into firing position and you don't want it to turn to night just as you get into position to fire. Of course, this artillery fire will likely incur the +1 for firing over the heads of the heavies but I believe this not so bad if you get huge missile/artillery attacks. We have found without adequate artillery/missile support the heavy infantry is likely to take many casualties in their assault on the built-up areas because the Judean archers are usually in the perimeter hexes of the built-up area.

3) To capture a road/gate/fortress hex will require isolating the hex. While the artillery and missile pounds the gate hex garrison Roman infantry needs to be in positions to cut off reinforcement of the gate hex, frequently the fortresses have bastions on both sides so if the Romans can get into those bastions it's unlikely the Judeans will be able to replace their dead in the gate hex. It may take a couple turns to kill off the Judeans in the gate hex, but without the ability to replenish their dead the gate hex will fall to the Romans...intact.

4) I believe in addition to any armored towers received on the interphase roll the Romans can automatically convert siege equipment for 1 legion per interphase for an armored tower. This means the Romans should be able to be going into assault period 3 with at least 5 or 6 armored towers, and since period 3 is likely to entail the assault on Antonia Fortress 5 or 6 armored towers moving up after at least 1 mining operation should be able to open a big hole in that strong position.

5) I will be reading up on this one too...it seems at least for the 1st AP the Romans should be able to keep a legion off-board. This will prevent the Judeans from sending all their on-board forces to defend against the breach, they may need some units to support any city area forces in defending against a legion showing up somewhere unexpectedly.

As I refresh my understanding of the rules I'll comment on this thread. Hopefully, I can also report on the progress of the siege and the wisdom/insanity of my proposed tactics. I believe such reports have to appear on another forum, so don't look here.

I'm probably going to follow the Roman historical approach, assuming the historical records and maps are trustworthy. This means I will keep the X Legion off the map for the 1st AP, Titus and the 3 legions will attack along the west wall of the New City. I'm hoping for at least 2 mines and reasonable results from those operations. This should permit a rapid entry into the New City, before reinforcements can be brought from the far reaches. The 2nd AP will go against the Tyropean City, with the main assault coming along the road.

The 3rd AP will be some combination of Antonia Fortress and either the Temple or another city area. APs 4 and 5 will entail the assaults against Herod's Palace and the southern district of the city.

Famous Last Words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Kloby
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I'd like to make some corrections/improvements to my original post:

1) It's probably worthwhile to spend 5 weeks before each of the first 3 assault periods (AP), this guarantees at least 1 additional armored tower per interphase. Before the 1st AP you cannot substitute a ram and tower for an armored tower for a single legion, so at minimum you will have at least 1+2+2=5 armored towers going into the 3rd AP. The +5 to the interphase dice roll means the odds are good the other aspects of the dice roll will be favorable. The +5 is all you need to spend in order to guarantee an additional armored tower per interphase, but some of the other aspects may make it necessary to spend even more than 5 weeks preparing...such as replacing lost Roman heavy infantry.

2) Artillery cannot fire from a rubble/breach hex, this makes capturing gate hexes intact important. In order for artillery to even pass through a breach hex you have to have 2 breach hexes adjacent to each other. If you have the 2 adjacent hexes then maybe the gates are not critical, but IMO it's seems like a good idea to have both the gate hex and the 2-hex-breach so the artillery can get into position to support the assault on the built-up hexes faster.

The roads can be used to bring the artillery inside the just captured/demolished section of wall to support the heavy infantry assault on the built up area. The artillery will need a few turns to get into firing position and you don't want it to turn to night just as you get into position to fire. Of course, this artillery fire will likely incur the +1 for firing over the heads of the heavies but I believe this isn't so bad if you get huge missile/artillery attacks. We have found without adequate artillery/missile support the heavy infantry is likely to take many casualties in their assault on the built-up areas because the Judean archers are usually in the perimeter hexes of the built-up area.

And of course, put the Roman missile units (slingers, Feodoratti, archers) on the captured walls, in the towers, and anywhere else so they can bring their fire to bear on the perimeter built-up hexes. And don't forget the catapults in the armored towers.

3) To capture a road/gate/fortress hex will require isolating the hex. While the artillery and missile units pound the gate hex garrison Roman infantry needs to be in position to cut off reinforcement of the gate hex, frequently the fortresses have bastions on both sides so if the Romans can get into those bastions it's unlikely the Judeans will be able to replace their dead in the gate hex; however, this may depend on the orientation of the stairwells. If there aren't too many Judeans in the vicinity it may be worthwhile to use a few heavies to block the stairwell into the gate hex. It may take a couple turns to kill off the Judeans in the gate hex, but without the ability to replenish their dead the gate hex will fall to the Romans...intact. This must be accomplished with sufficient daylight remaining so the artillery can get in position and have several rounds of fire at the Judeans before nightfall.

4) In addition to any armored towers received on the interphase roll the Romans can convert siege equipment for 1 legion per interphase for an armored tower...except before the 1st AP. This means the Romans should guarantee (with 5 weeks prep before each of the early APs) going into the 3rd AP with at least 5 armored towers, and since period 3 is likely to entail the assault on Antonia Fortress 5 armored towers moving up after at least 1 mining operation should be able to open a big hole in that strong position. These armored towers may need to move against the Temple in the 3rd AP also...easier said than done. Of course these armored towers could be used elsewhere, just make you've captured enough areas by the end of the 3rd AP.

5) The Romans should be able to keep a legion off-board, for at least the 1st AP. This will prevent the Judeans from sending all their on-board forces to defend against the breach, they may need some units to support any city area forces in defending against a legion showing up somewhere unexpectedly.

I'm probably going to follow the Roman historical approach, assuming the historical records and maps are trustworthy. This means I will keep the X Legion off the map for the 1st AP, Titus and the 3 legions will attack along the west wall of the New City. I'm hoping for at least 2 mines and reasonable results from those operations. This should permit a rapid entry into the New City, before reinforcements can be brought from the far reaches. The 2nd AP will go against the Tyropean City, with the main assault coming along the road.

The 3rd AP will be some combination of Antonia Fortress and either the Temple or another city area. APs 4 and 5 will entail the assaults against Herod's Palace and the southern district of the city.

Famous Last Words.

(As I refresh my understanding of the rules I'll comment on this thread. Hopefully, I can also report on the progress of the siege and the wisdom/insanity of my proposed tactics. I believe such reports have to appear on another forum, so don't look here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.