John Dextraze
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended Origins and picked up the expansion to Railroad Tycoon. All I can say is it has completely surpassed my expectations. Why? Because it’s about providing gamers with value and it targets two types of gamers. The map is gorgeous. At first glance you notice that there are a ton of destinations. My games group played it a couple Fridays ago and the comments were so positive because the spread between first and third place was only 6 points, which translated in a high amount of last turn tension. There are some new cards that have been added of which one card prevents someone from delivering a cube. This card adds a little intrigue. The base game of Railroad Tycoon gets another great map and targets those geeks that are just starting to explore a more complex rail game a notch down from Steam and Age of Steam.
But that’s not all! Gamers get to play too! The game offers a variant that for those train lovers was described at Origins as 1830 Light. Martin Wallace has added shares to the game. Time for some cut throat brain burning gaming. I played it last Saturday and my buddies played it today and the opinions are unanimous. The game is brilliant. It cost me $34 USD and for that price I can play the variant with the other maps, which means I got a lot of bang for $34. The fun factor is huge. The after game analysis is high. The components are excellent. There is a feature in the game that allows mergers of companies. This expansion appeals to the hardcore gamer and the gamer that is beginning to discover rail games. Awesome!

Fun 10/10
Bang for the buck 10/10
Player interaction 10/10
Last turn tension 9/10
Components 10/10
Originality of variant 9/10
Replay 9/10
Rules 10/10 straight forward
Sweet spot 5 players 10/10

Verdict: Best expansion for 2009. Best value. Loads of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Aside from the mergers, which are really just a way to sustain capitalisation, the closer relative is Imperial rather than the 18xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, John: wishlisted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want, I want, I want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameNerds wrote:

But that’s not all! Gamers get to play too! The game offers a variant that for those train lovers was described at Origins as 1830 Light. Martin Wallace has added shares to the game... There is a feature in the game that allows mergers of companies. This expansion appeals to the hardcore gamer and the gamer that is beginning to discover rail games. Awesome!

Can this variant be played without Railroad Tycoon? I wouldn't mind substituting something on hand for the plastic houses and water tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
photocurio wrote:
BoardGameNerds wrote:

But that’s not all! Gamers get to play too! The game offers a variant that for those train lovers was described at Origins as 1830 Light. Martin Wallace has added shares to the game... There is a feature in the game that allows mergers of companies. This expansion appeals to the hardcore gamer and the gamer that is beginning to discover rail games. Awesome!

Can this variant be played without Railroad Tycoon? I wouldn't mind substituting something on hand for the plastic houses and water tanks.

It suppose it could be done, but only about as well as you could play Age of Steam without the track tiles. I suppose you could replace the tiles with cubes or wet-erase markers on plexiglass or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would still need the track tiles and engine cards from the base game as well. I don't know about the shares, if the new stock system replaces shares or adds another layer to the finances.

Given the scarcity of the base Railroad Tycoon game, I was surprised this is being released before Railways of the World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
cparrott wrote:
Given the scarcity of the base Railroad Tycoon game, I was surprised this is being released before Railways of the World.

I think the timing may have been due to FRED's contract with Martin Wallace, who asked to get out of the deal, but FRED declined (after investing quite a long time in its development).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matteo nicotra
Italy
Milano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, could you send us some photos?

I'd like to see Railways of England "new look"!!! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Could this be played with Age of Steam 3rd edition track tiles? What else would I need besides the closed city proxies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Great_Mazinga wrote:
Could this be played with Age of Steam 3rd edition track tiles? What else would I need besides the closed city proxies?

Not really. The tiles are completely different in size. Age of Steam tiles are much larger.

You might be able to get away with tiles from Stephenson's Rocket, but I've never tried it so I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Moores
United Kingdom
LA
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I played this for the first time tonight and thought it was great.

Indeed I actually thought this was way better than the original. It wasn't really that difficult to explain, and dead easy once you had played one or two turns.

Much quicker, much harder choices and far more interaction.

I can't see myself going back to the original game.

Plus the map is good, lots of replayability.

I was a little uncertain when I bought this but really pleased when I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.