Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variant of Race for those who generally don't play a single game at a time.

A. Play a game of Race
B. The winner discards a random action card without
showing the other players which one.
C. Play another game.
D. Continue until one player wins
2 Player Adv. - 4 games
2-4 Player - 3 games
5+ Player - 2 games

Discarded action cards are unavailable for the rest of the match.

Adds a nice bit of adaptability and bluff to multiple games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you get your old, discarded card back after you complete a game?

It could be rough to be missing trade or produce. It's probably not so bad to be missing explore + 5 or half of the dev/dev and settle/settle pair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
I guess you get your old, discarded card back after you complete a game?

It could be rough to be missing trade or produce. It's probably not so bad to be missing explore + 5 or half of the dev/dev and settle/settle pair.

You don't get action cards back. That's how you keep track of your wins. There's a slightly fluffier variant that if you've lost 2 action cards and they are:

the two Explores
the two Consumes
develop and settle (if not playing 2 player adv.)

You show the two action cards to the other players, randomly pick one to keep, randomly pick another card from the remaining action pile to go away instead.

I've managed wins without Trade, it is tricky particularly if you are also missing Explore/+1,+1. My favorite game was while being one action card down only picking 3 roles, Explore/+1,+1, Consume/Trade and Produce. They had no clue what I was missing going into the third game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frunkee wrote:
My favorite game was while being one action card down only picking 3 roles, Explore/+1,+1, Consume/Trade and Produce. They had no clue what I was missing going into the third game.

Let's not forget that you won that game, you sneaky sonuva...

Just want to chime in that I'm a fan of this variant. Switches things up rather nicely. Depending on which action card you lose, it can force you to adapt your normal playstyle in interesting ways. Strongly recommended for the Race fiends among us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.