Popular Tags: [View All]
matt erwin
United States
reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In opposition to all he complaints about the evony ad, I would just like to say that I for one enjoy looking at the ample cleavage each and every time I click onto BGG. Long live cleavage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen, testify brother, testify!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psssst: it's not real cleavage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[url]http://tinyurl.com/mjjguk
[/url]

Evony the Boardgame has been announced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad the boardgame continues the tradition of supplying ample cleavage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Henggeler
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just want to point out the irony that this indiscreet ad that many claim gets them in trouble claims that you can play discreetly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least THIS image doesn't have a sword pointed at the busen. That was creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001286.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Locking the other thread was probably a bit knee-jerk, but it wasn't done to "silence the crowd" - if that was the goal the thread could have simply been deleted - rather my sense was that the thread had run its course. Either way, I agree that it was heavy-handed and that thread has been unlocked.

As has been discussed in the other thread, we actively try to block Evony ads from popping up and will continue to do so even as they try to work around those blocks.

All that said, encouraging users to block ads with software is very frustrating for us as it costs us money. I fully realize how self-centered that appears, but fact of the matter is that this site is not cheap to operate. We don't (and never intend to) charge users for access to anything we provide, so ads and donations end up being the bulk of what allows BGG to continue to operate.

We know people don't like ads - that is precisely why we provide on-site adblock capabilities when you donate to the site. We like offering that option as an acknowledgment to the user that he/she is paying his/her own way. I know MANY users who have built-in browser adblock software but also donate to the site and use BGG's adblock service - either because the BGG adblock formats cleaner or simply because they want to make sure BGG gets its due.

I think ultimately we're on the same side here. Users and Admins alike want what is best for the community as a whole. I don't expect there ever to be a rule against discussing ad blocking software on the site. All the same, we'd still prefer not to see people encouraging others to engage in behaviors that make it more difficult for BGG to maintain itself.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbdarden wrote:

the progression of ads from relevant to degrading into just a pair of breasts is pretty hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
JovenShadowcaster wrote:

Instead of listen to suggestions or actually serve the BGG community like they're expected to, Admin literally silenced the crowd like it was the Iran government. And I'm sure I'll get a ban for even mentioning it. So, everyone should watch what they say.

Ahh yes, internet oppression, that never gets old. *yawn*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Psssst: it's not real cleavage.

Now, "cleavage" is merely a concept, a theory, if you will. Its the impression we get from boobs.

I can accept Evony's cleavage as attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octavian wrote:

All that said, encouraging users to block ads with software is very frustrating for us as it costs us money. I fully realize how self-centered that appears, but fact of the matter is that this site is not cheap to operate. We don't (and never intend to) charge users for access to anything we provide, so ads and donations end up being the bulk of what allows BGG to continue to operate.

I'm with you that blocking is bad, but I think those that are blocking pictures of girls' ..umm... assets, are probably doing so with good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

I'm with you that blocking is bad, but I think those that are blocking pictures of girls' ..umm... assets, are probably doing so with good reason.

No doubt. I'm not asking people not to use whatever software they want on their own machines. I'm asking people not to teach others how to do something that negatively impacts our site.

A similar behavior might be going on the Amazon book/movie/music/video game pages and posting links to torrents for the same content.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
JovenShadowcaster wrote:
Octavian -- well said. It beats the hell out of "We won't do that, it's stupid, LOCKED because Daddy knows best."

Have you considered a different AdServer? Is it possible? What about informing your current AdServer about Evony's practices? They make money from your arrangement too; I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you against the offending ads to keep the traffic you generate for them.

Yes, I have evaluated other ad networks - they are all worse.

If you think these ads are bad you haven't seen anything...and yes I have notified Google of this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it sounds like I'm being a suckup but $25 a year is a bargain for all the awesome stuff this site hosts. I'm always shocked how much image and file data they store! Many sites have strict image size limits and you can upload pretty much any old thing here.

When people bitch and moan that this site is showing boobs that are destroying their marriage or getting them fired I think, wow, $25 will save your marriage or job? Sign me up!

And Aldie, thanks for the 100GG for posting this message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphadork wrote:
I just want to point out the irony that this indiscreet ad that many claim gets them in trouble claims that you can play discreetly.

I, in turn, want to point out the irony of all this wailing and gnashing of teeth over a mildly smutty add banner, which shows up on pretty much every site these days, when at any moment on this site, anything can and probably will be interrupted by Busen Memo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:

...when at any moment on this site, anything can and probably will be interrupted by Busen Memo.

I resisted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this outrage over Evony - the otherday I found an ad for an online version of Monopoly on the front page. Truly, we are living at the end of days. Repent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you Aldie and Octavian for keeping us abreast of these developments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So as I navigate from page to page on BGG the banner adds change from Evony to a dating service and back again.

Apparantly we have been tagged as single, horny guys. I know for a fact that there a lot of women on the sight (which to a gamer means more than one). And not all of us are single (some of us are married to our games). So I take offense at this.

Or, at least, I'm trying too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Banta
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One one hand: I enjoy the female form

On the other: Im here to check out boardgames

Needless to say my two passions in life are in a serious conflict over this issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason F.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the problem with the ad? A cartoon woman with breasts? Come on guys and girls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on ya, Octavian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Apparantly we have been tagged as single, horny guys. I know for a fact that there a lot of women on the site...

Bisexual women (plural, as I know for a fact I'm not the only one. Ahhh, the best of both worlds!)

I don't care for the Evony ads, either, but I have the BGG adblock from donating, so I never see the ads. I just looked at it once to see what all the fuss was about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.