Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get feedback on a game I've been working on, called Squirrel Squabble. It's a programmed, simultaneous action game that uses 21 double-sided tiles, 2 squirrel dice (not rolled, but used as pawns and to keep track of nuts), and 1 squabble die (you can use a regular d6 if you want).

The game is played on a tight 3x3 grid of tiles, and the remaining tiles (6 per player) are used to program the actions 3 at a time. In addition to being able to program standard movement, players can also change the makeup and layout of the board and even the opponent's actions. Although the goal of the game is the collection of nuts, there are also opportunities to battle with the other player. This all makes for a lot of direct and indirect ways to mess with your opponent.

The game is really small--I actually designed it to fit into an empty glitter shaker I was going to throw out (probably the first time I've begun a design with the container I wanted it to fit in!). Here's a picture of it showing its size compared to a D battery:

All of the components fit on one letter-sized sheet of label paper or cardstock. At this point, the game is for 2 players only. I know it looks like a kids' game (my art skills are usually pretty limiting when it comes to the themes and styles of my games!), but kids would have to have a pretty high tolerance for conflict in games and decent abstract thinking skills to have fun with it. My own kids use it as a solitaire puzzle because they don't like conflict.

I've put the files here:
Squirrel Squabble
In the files, I've included some playtesting questions that I'm especially interested in, but any feedback is appreciated, whether you read through the rules or actually make up the game and play it.

On a side note, if anybody needs help playtesting a kids' game, I'd be happy to help out, as I have readily-accessible opponents for them .

Edit: The game page is now up: Squirrel Squabble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the game and read the rules thoroughly. It looks like a fun game. I will definitely print this one out and give it a try.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: Add two 'marker' tiles to place on top of the action stack to prevent having to hold your hand over it 'til your opponent is ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Suggestion: Add two 'marker' tiles to place on top of the action stack to prevent having to hold your hand over it 'til your opponent is ready.

I disagree. What's so hard about hiding a stack of three tiny chips? Not only that, but it takes the game to a more personal level and adds tension, especially with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across a situation that was not clearly covered in the rules: a Flip Action played against a Squabble. Since the opposite side of the Squabble is a Flip Action, you run into the problem that two Flip Actions cancel each other out, but one of them has already been played.

One solution would be to have a Flip Action and a Squabble cancel each other out, which is simple but (I feel) less intuitive than the other instances where actions cancel each other out.

A second logical path would be that the Flip Action turns the Squabble into a Flip Action, which would then be resolved to turn the first Flip Action into a Squabble. So, the end result would be a Squabble (assuming the squirrel positions allow it), but with the attacker and defender switched. I kind of like the dynamics of this surprise reverse attack, but I'm afraid the logic of it might seem too complex. The other potential issue is that it increases the power of the Flip Action relative to the Squabble action. I'm still trying to get a feel for the balance of that action tile.

In general, the simpler solution is probably the best one, so for now, I'll go with the Flip Action and Squabble cancelling each other out. This is definitely open for discussion, though. Also, if anybody has any thoughts on the balance of the Flip Action/Squabble tile, I'd be interested in hearing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you like my cardboard / wood prototype for heavy testing?

Comopnents:

Sample setup:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are very impressive parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the game looks good, I may go print it out and check it out

duchamp - wow, very impressive looking, it is what makes me want to print this one out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it would fit very nicely into my game design contest criteria (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/449232), small, realtively easy to self make and quick to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
Looks like it would fit very nicely into my game design contest criteria (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/449232), small, realtively easy to self make and quick to play.

That contest looks like a good opportunity for somebody. I'm not sure self-publishing would fit into my life right now, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

That contest looks like a good opportunity for somebody. I'm not sure self-publishing would fit into my life right now, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for pointing it out.

Understood, self publishing is a lot of work, but one of the winning options is for me to do the crafting part. That is how It's Alive! got started, Jack Pope handmade 300 copies of Yehuda's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So does that mean that the winner gets to choose between the two options? I think I misunderstood, thinking that the second option was more of a first right of refusal (i.e., you would choose which option would apply).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
So does that mean that the winner gets to choose between the two options? I think I misunderstood, thinking that the second option was more of a first right of refusal (i.e., you would choose which option would apply).

yes its the winners option - the only thing that I want to do is get other good games on the site.

I am also investigating doing small, commercially printed runs just like a real publisher, but only after I was able to seed the market and get a wide range of feedback on a game. If I were to invest all the sweat equity to make the 50 - 100 handmade copies of winning game(s), I would want some level of first right of refusal to do a larger run.

If the winner wants to make and sell their own game then I would seek no first right of refusal, nor would I be invovled in any of the money side of selling their game - the site isn't there to make money. Of course if the game is a hit then maybe that designer might want to work with me if I thought that I might print the game, but is under no obligation to do so.

I should learn from my difficulties writing rule books to seek a second opinion before I try to explain anything, hope the above helps clarify my intents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

I second that motion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For anybody who's tried it out, do you think that squabbles happen frequently enough?

I'm considering a change to the rules, allowing squabbles to occur if played when the squirrels are on any adjacent space (rather than the current rules which state that the attacker must be facing the defender). The roll of the squabble die could be adjusted for both squirrels based on their positions:
+1 for facing the other squirrel, -1 for tail facing the other squirrel.

Any thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted the latest rules set here:
Squirrel Squabble

Besides clarifying some of the language and rules, I've changed the rules for squabbles, as I haven't been very happy with the balance of the Flip Action/Squabble tile. The new rules allow for squabbles to take place regardless of the squirrels' positions (as long as the attacking squirrel can make a path to his opponent's space). The attacker's chance of success rises the closer he is to the defender.

I would still really love to hear feedback if anybody's had a chance to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks very interesting! I'll check it out and maybe put it into my PnP queue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
I have posted the latest rules set here:
I would still really love to hear feedback if anybody's had a chance to try it out.

I finally got around to building and playing the game today. I wish I had done it sooner; it's an amazing game for its size.

My computer was off when we played so we went off your original rules, which I had printed out a long, long time ago. The game is absolutely stuffed with deep gameplay. It almost cannot be classified as a light game in my book. To paraphrase what I said about it here, the 3x3 board feels huge while you're playing! It's not even feasible to travel over the entire board in one game. When we first played, it took us a little while to get the hang of the available actions, but once that's under control, the game really shines. I can't wait to see how deep the strategy becomes between two good players who are simultaneously trying to collect nuts and hinder their opponent.

Like I said earlier, we played using the old ruleset. It did seem like the squabbles were difficult to pull off. I like the changes you've made, but I can't report on how well it works in practice until we play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ruiz
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello.

Here you have the Spanish translation of the game to be able to expand the market.

http://www.box.net/shared/81ek2lx3dy

A great game.

The component sheet in Spanish:

Greetings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! I guess I need to get the game page up on BGG .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:

Hahaha, I was just going to ask about that! I want to get around to building this game, but I keep forgetting about it until someone posts to this thread. If you make a game page I can add it to my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:

that you should do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted the game for approval. Once it is up, I will update this thread with the game page. Thanks for the feedback and the interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The page is now up:
Squirrel Squabble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.