Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poll: Games owned: unplayed/played ratio poll
What percentage of games do you own that are unplayed?
Lower then 30%
30%
40%
50%
60%
Higher than 60%
All my games are played before purchase or right after purchase.
      280 answers
Poll created by Normandy

Maybe it is because I am a new member, but I feel like I purchase a hell of a lot more than I play. Most of it is because of OOP occurances.

Today I went to my FLGS to purchase Railroad Tycoon. It has been in there for weeks, and I just never thought of picking it up til today. It was gone, none in stock, nada...

I know I want a pretty compact and well rounded gaming collection. Is it wrong to have the mentality of 'Get it now before it is too late, and trade later if you dont like it'?

lol, I guess I just wanna see where my fellow geeks are and how they might comment on this situation.

Please post a reply, thx

PS> Play before you buy mentality is becoming more dominate for me, but I still have that impulsive obsession at times. I hope to keep my collection under 50. (I purchased Railroad Tycoon as soon as I got home, lol.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:
...I hope to keep my collection under 50. (I purchased Railroad Tycoon as soon as I got home, lol.)

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted 60%.

I'm really new to the site / gaming scene as well and I've been in a similar mentality. I've bought about 13 games since and have only played 5, most of which have been less than 3 plays.

My friends and I are just getting a feel for what we like right now. Also playing games that are not mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever been over 25%.
Last Thanksgiving, I vowed to get all my games played. I was at 120 unplayed, I am not at just under 40.

I do have favorites, but this took precedence so I know that I'm not missing out on any new favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play all the games that we buy to play, usually on the day that we get them. We have not played all the games that we thrift to trade/sell for games we want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79% and I know I won't live long enough to play them all. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
I don't think I've ever been over 25%.
Last Thanksgiving, I vowed to get all my games played. I was at 120 unplayed, I am not at just under 40.

I do have favorites, but this took precedence so I know that I'm not missing out on any new favorites.

The transition is slow,, but I am trying to make the same vow. It's just the little voice that says "Free shipping with $100 purchase". hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll needs some more detail between 0 and 30%.

I try to play my games as soon as I buy them but as my collection grows there always seems to be some that I really don't intended to play or are going to take a lot of planning to get played so these bench warmers bide there time but I don't let it grow to be to many. Currently 8 games unplayed or about 3%. It may get as high as 10% and most likely will never be lower than 2%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Normandy wrote:
...I hope to keep my collection under 50. (I purchased Railroad Tycoon as soon as I got home, lol.)

whistle

Yeah, I remember those days. Now my mantra is, keep it under 300!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Out of what I have listed here (some games I still haven't gotten round to listing):

238 owned
237 played at least once
1 I probably won't ever play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played over 97% of my owned games, and I expect this figure to go up within the next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Yep. I doubt I've been above 10% in the past 30 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iken Owens
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plead the 5th. on the grounds that my wife might see my answer to this poll. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:

Also, numbers mean something, too. I'm under 30% by a smidge. However, 121 unplayed games has a significantly different meaning than 27%.

I made a list and my son and I will work on knocking some of these games off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I currently have 18 unplayed games and expansions (with three that I am trying to trade). Out of 97 games this put me at 18.5%. Not too bad if I might say so myself. I may even try and talk the group into playing one of those unplayed games tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Own 55 Games which really amounts to 28 base games and 27 expansions to the games e.g. Alhambra have all but expansion 1

Of the 28 Base Games all have been played at least once.

35% (10) have been played once.
29% (8) have been played 2-4 times
35% (10) have been played 5 or more times. With 2 of those played more than 30 times (Arkham Horror & Mr Jack)

Of the 27 expansions all have been included at some stage or another. However not all of the Alhambra mini expansions have been played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
About 10-15% of a 150-game collection is unplayed.

But I have a great game group, a supportive spouse who games with us more often than not, and with our first child coming in 12 weeks I'm consciously trying to game as often as I can manage which keeps the unplayed count low. After fall begins my unplayed percentage will go up, as my available free time will decrease more sharply than my gaming budget (which will also likely decrease, just not as much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In two years since joining BGG and acquiring my first designer games, I've amassed a collection of 107 games. Three are unplayed, so just under 3%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricco van Prooijen
Netherlands
Nieuw-Vennep
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If I just use #owned and #rated I'm at 52/179 so 30% unplayed. There are a lot of games that I own and rated where I've never actually played my own copy. Using that I'm probably at about 50% unplayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I haven't played about 25% of my collection, but that doesn't mean that some of my games have been bought, played with my group once, and then been rarely played since (or not at all). Especially Talisman - my group played that once and after the 5 hours it took, never want to see it again. I'm still quite fond though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a lot of games recently... partly because to my first real earned money, partly because I needed some distraction lately.

Now I play every sunday three of my new and unplayed games to get the game load down...

Last weeks:
4 weeks ago (4 players): Cave Troll, Mad Goblin Racing, Die Türme von Babylon
3 weeks ago (4 players): Sumeria, Citadels, Spank the Monkey
2 weeks ago (3 players): Powerboats, Lucca Città, Condottiere
last week (3 players): Taluva, Mesopotamia, Bison: Thunder on the Prairie

The smell of new things is wonderful... yesterday I adored the Dominion: Intrigue cards... and tonight we will finally be able to play with them.

tonight (4 players): Dominion: Intrigue, Tikal, Elasund: The First City...

So right now: I have around 1/4th of my games unplayed. Tonight that will change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Normandy wrote:
Is it wrong to have the mentality of 'Get it now before it is too late, and trade later if you dont like it'?

In library school, the instructors said this was the "Just In Case" collection development method. I am very much a "Just In Case" collector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I have one unplayed game. Generally I play my games soon after or soon before I get them. This one just has not made its way to the table yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelif wrote:
I made a list...

...that was seriously inadequate. While drifting off, a couple of games I knew were unplayed didn't turn up, so I decided to saunter into the Temple of Solomon and determine if, somehow, I hadn't inventoried those games. Indeed, a couple had escaped my OCD categorizing, but they were there on the shelf.

And a couple more. And some more...shake Sooooo, I added *gulp* 12 games to the collection this morning and ALL of them went on the list, then five more that I overlooked yesterday while scrolling down my collection.

That leaves me at 138 games unplayed, poor inventory skills and a serious, serious problem. [My wife is right, you know]. Juuuust above 30%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have about 3 - it's generally those rinky-dink games that people give you as gifts which you know are probably awful and haven't traded away yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.