Subject: Solo Play..?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read that you can play this solo, so is there a thread or site that explains how to do this?

Right now all the gamers I know are just to busy from where I live to give this a go, so any help here would be very helpfull to me.

Cheers, Yep I got the 1st edition to, have the 3rd edition rules as well so I'm all set there at least!!

Thanks

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play the rules as written. You just alternate choosing a hex/leader, make the activation roll, then alternate sides as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kent, is there certain expansions and specific battle scenarios that are more "fun and interesting" if played that way, or are they pretty much the same if you play the game this way? My local hobby store only had the original edition so I would have to order any other expansion in, tank battles and combined arms (lots of different armoured units) with a bit of everything (and a diversity of maps/terrain) is what I like most.

Cheers, thanks for the quick reply as well!!
:)
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just steer clear of the Japanese, as their scenarios always play best with 2 players because they have special hidden unit rules.

For everyone else, solo is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:
Just steer clear of the Japanese, as their scenarios always play best with 2 players because they have special hidden unit rules.
Yeah, great, thanks, I just won Guadalcanal in a Math Trade... yuk

It's true enough, though, barring the few scenarios with hidden units, there's no hidden info in PG, so it's easy enough, mechanically, to play any scenario solo. It's just a matter of getting into the mindset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I like the sea and air battle type games when I play in the Pacific theatre in WW II. Hows the tank combat in general for Panzer Grenadier, which expansion has the most diversified units for the Germans, and the Allies, Road to Berlin I think?, but are there any others?

Cheers

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Shad wrote:
Yeah, great, thanks, I just won Guadalcanal in a Math Trade... yuk

It's true enough, though, barring the few scenarios with hidden units, there's no hidden info in PG, so it's easy enough, mechanically, to play any scenario solo. It's just a matter of getting into the mindset.

I'll cut that tongue of yours off and mail it to your mother!

I really like Guadalcanal, but I also have enough sense to accept it for what it is - platoon scale jungle combat where at ~200m a hex you quite rightly can't see anything and have almost no command and control (officers only activate their hex, if you don't already know).

The maps are beautiful - the hexes are oversized although not quite Cassino monstrous - and the Japanese are ferocious.

Not only that, but now you can get Panzer Grenadier: Alaska's War and Panzer Grenadier: Kokoda Trail, which are absolutely stellar.

And for the scenarios with lots of hidden units, just give the Japanese a few extra platoons if you're going to solo it.

It's a worthy entry in the PG series, it's just NOT a good entry point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to it, it comes with Panzer Grenadier: Jungle Fighting. My FLGS owner is also looking forward to selling me Panzer Grenadier: Alaska's War and Panzer Grenadier: Kokoda Trail - as soon as I told him I'd won Guadalcanal, he set them aside and started cackling & rubbing his hands together... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a FtF partner, even occasionally?

Most of the Alaska's War scenarios are small, but the hidden units make them wonderfully tense.

You could knock out half the module in a long night with a partner, and it would be fun to play them in sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play FtF most weekends, but not always PG. I can play virtually any game solo (short of Diplomacy...), so it'll bet played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What made me purchase this system was the fact that it looked very accesible to solo play. It looks like it will be fun. After reading the rules several times over the past four years I have EF 1/112 set up. LOL just pausing to take one last look here before diving in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of solo play, I know there's a lot of variance in how much space scenarios take up (I think there may be a few scenarios that are as many as six maps!) so I'm trying to figure out a good way to set things up in my tiny apartment.

I'm also wondering how to record game positions to pick up something later when you are required for whatever reason to stop playing a scenario for a while and out it away while you do something else (like eat dinner or do other things with your table). There are, as far as I know, no virtual tabletops for the PG series thanks to the policies of AP (for example someone submitted a VASSAL module for Third Reich that was promptly taken down at AP's request IIRC) so I can't do everything onscreen and save the resulting game positions to pick them up later. (Even without restrictive policies, the hundreds of scenarios for even a single PG game and the dozens of PG releases make putting together a virtual tabletop for the system a monumental task!) I'm sure many other people do it, so how do they manage it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
On the subject of solo play, I know there's a lot of variance in how much space scenarios take up (I think there may be a few scenarios that are as many as six maps!) so I'm trying to figure out a good way to set things up in my tiny apartment.

Michael, I'm happy to say that so far you're only asking questions for which we already have good answers!

At Panzer Grenadier Headquarters we have a Basic Search Tool which allows you to specify your desired map range.

Even better, if you can provide your exact playing area dimensions I can run a custom query for you and get all the scenarios that will fit, down to the centimeter.

Quote:
I'm also wondering how to record game positions to pick up something later when you are required for whatever reason to stop playing a scenario for a while and out it away while you do something else (like eat dinner or do other things with your table). -- snip -- I'm sure many other people do it, so how do they manage it?

I've done this a few times and just make a hex-number by hex-number inventory of the pieces on the board:

0115 - 2 x HMG
0116 - 1 x HMG (Disrupted), 1 x LT (8-0-1)
etc.

It works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.