Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
When my friend Bill went to Europe last year he met up with friends who had a Dutch Shufflebaord.

Bill liked the game so much that he took measurements and when he came back to Australia he built himself one.

It's not the best looking game I've seen but it is functional.

Last weekend I played a game and the experience was okay.

Bascially there is a long wooden frame with four gates at the far end. Each one is worth either 1, 2, 3 or 4 points if you can slide a wooden disk through the gate. For every set (that is one in each of the holes) you score a bonus of 10 points.

At the players' end there is a bar which limits how far you hand can travel before you have to let go of the wooden disk and let it slide all by itself.

Naturally there is some dexterity skill involved in this game. Also there are several methods that may be used and the method may change during the game.

At the start of the game you can try to slide disks directly through the gates or bound the disks of the side wall - bouncing off the side wall takes some of the speed off the disk and may make it more controlable. Bouncing off the side wall also gives you the chance to slide disks around those that may be blocking you.

You can also try to hit those disks that are already down the far end so as to knock them through the gates.

Towards the end of your turn, when there are many disks down the far end, there is no real substitute for brute force where you just send them down as hard as you can to try to knock your way to success.

When it is your turn you have thirty disks to use. Those that don't make it through a gate may be reused a second and then a third time.

We played that the first person to 500 points after an equal number of turns would be the winner.

There is one downside to the game and that is that there is a lot of down-time between turns. The only thing to do then is make rude comments to your opponents to put extra pressure on them which usually results in them not being able to score in the gates they need for bonus points and in them not asking you to play again.

I think that Crokinole is a more enjoyable experience in the dexterity game department. The main reason for that is that there is more interaction in a Crokinole game than in Dutch Shufflebaord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Okay, But It's No Crokinole
My parents had a board, we played it a lot during our childhood . You can get it relatively cheap, I would like to try crokinole sometime but it's to expensive .

The downtime never bothered me. I mostly played with my older sister, or with my father and sister. The "downtimers" were mostly at the back of the board, stacking the discs that went into the gates, so the person sliding can see better how many discs he has in each gate, and the downtimers could also push the remaining discs back to the person sliding after his first and second turn, and help stacking, to reduce the downtime as much as possible. And of course it was always exciting to see the other person slide (Oh no, I hope he will not get that one in, yay, he missed!)

I also loved the feel of the smooth long board, and the wooden smell of the board and discs.

Wow, this brings back a lot of memories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Okay, But It's No Crokinole
Multiplayer Solitaire.

I used to play alot of Sjoelen when I was a lad. It was great for church picnics, New year's Eve parties and fetes etc. But as you say it doesn't hold a candle to Crokinole.

Plus the board is REALLY HARD to transport...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.