Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does the game take and is it any good with 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Prado Silva
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly Ive never played a 2 player imperial game, usualy a 4~6 players game and it takes something from 2.5 to 3.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I seriously doubt that 2 player Imperial can be fun.

Playing time is 3+ hours in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory it should work but with 2 players the interraction will be limited.

Playing time shouldn't change that much with fewer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't see how 2 player imperial would be good. Imperial matches here usually last 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played it once as a two-player and it was good. I'd say it's definitely worth giving it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
How long does the game take and is it any good with 2 players?

Imperial plays perfectly fine 2 players. Very fun game. My buddy suffers from AP so it takes us about 3 hours but with a normal opponent I would say closer to 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2 player game tends to be more of a war game, as you tend to have 3 countries between the players. It's a very different game at two.

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at this review by drunkenKOALA - it gives a great description of the 2 player game, and I agree with just about all his points.

Imperial with 2 is a lot of fun, but it can be hard. The early game is somewhat clear (or at least presents the illusion of clarity), as you try to build value in a few countries that you have a stake in, and the late game shakes out as trying to peg the high finishers and invest in them. It's the mid-game that I find the hardest to figure, and the trade-offs between money invested in a country and return are nowhere nearly as easy to grasp as in something like Chicago Express. My only caveat is this: play with someone at your skill level. Otherwise, it could be less than stellar (for whoever is the novice player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed it with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two is OK for Imperial if you want a more chess like game. A bit dry but tactically even more challenging than 3+ player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing the two player game. Much less about investing in other countries and more about holding onto what you have. Otherwise, you risk allowing your opponent to gain an advantage. Each game I have played has been very close, so it all depends on the caliber of the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a theory: 2 player might be better with the investor card than without. I'll test it to find out.

This game is great with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
I have a theory: 2 player might be better with the investor card than without. I'll test it to find out.

You play 2 player without it normally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

You play 2 player without it normally?

With. I'll test it without to see next time I get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
I think a 2 player game can be completed in one hour, since there is less interference of other players, just your opponent.

i think an hour is a bit of a stretch, have you done it?

i played a 2-player in 2 and a half hours today.

i like it, but i agree with most of the above comments in that it is dryer and more tactical than a multiplayer game.

also, i wouldn't waste your time playing 2 players with a newb. newbs should be initiated in some 3 or 4 player games and then, once they are comfortable with the ins and outs, go for a 2 player game. it will be much more satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
x man
msg tools
I agree: 2 players was surprisingly fun, although we both knew the game and got right down to business.

We had both played 3, 4, 5 player...usually more mixed levels. 2 player is much more territorial, at least in the beginning.

Next time for 2 player we will try that variation where you choose which bonds you want to buy per country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.