Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my first game tonight and really enjoyed the game. We had a few questions, though, and if the answers are in the rule book, please point out where so I can appease the rules lawyers in my group.

1) Is your discard stack face up or face down?
2) Can you trash ANY card to the junk yard (mercenaries, contested resources, etc)?
3) Can you use a sniper in your hand to counter-act a sniper played on you?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:

Not specified. I think it's individual choice. I put mine face-up so I know which one it is, but I make sure that if I've attained a card from the Junkyard or Contested Resource, I bury it in the stack so my opponents can't see it.

Ruskicowboy wrote:
2) Can you trash ANY card to the junk yard (mercenaries, contested resources, etc)?

You can trash any cards in your hand.

Ruskicowboy wrote:
3) Can you use a sniper in your hand to counter-act a sniper played on you?

From the rulebook:
Skirmishes are resolved by starting with the initiator and having her declare any actions performed by her units (including saboteurs and sniper teams). Play then passes to the next player to declare actions for her units. If a player with ta higher turn order snipes another sniper or snipes a saboteur of a lower turn order, then those units will not have an opportunity to exercise their special abilities. Sniping a sniper or saboteur of a higher turn order will only impact the number of people for the purposes of breaking a tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry With question #3, I was meaning within the resource gathering phase, not the skirmish. So, for example, I play a mercenary with a shovel to dig. Another player plays a sniper on my mercenary to stop the dig. Can I play a sniper that is in my hand, to stop his sniper from sniping my mercenary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Sorry With question #3, I was meaning within the resource gathering phase, not the skirmish. So, for example, I play a mercenary with a shovel to dig. Another player plays a sniper on my mercenary to stop the dig. Can I play a sniper that is in my hand, to stop his sniper from sniping my mercenary?

It is an excellent question and one which is not addressed in the rules (although an online FAQ is in the works).

In this case, you could not use a sniper to PREVENT the first Snipe action because it already happened. The Skirmish is different because ALL cards are revealed and then special actions are resolved in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer and for supporting your game so well. I really had a fun time playing it last night. BTW, I used to live in Keller, TX when I was 4 years old. Burned down my room, and moved away shortly after. whistle Seeing your return address on the mailing package was a blast from the past. We occasionally drove through Keller when going to and from the Texas Motor Speedway (when I still lived in Texas).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabhart wrote:
(although an online FAQ is in the works).

Ah, I knew I'd seen this mentioned somewhere... although it's now four years later, so the FAQ is well overdue!

I don't have the time and energy to do a complete FAQ right now, but I am in the process of helping out by making a FAQ about snipers/saboteurs, since that's what most questions seem to be about.

But there's quite a few other rule questions that have been asked and answered over the years on matters that aren't covered by the rule-book, so having a comprehensive FAQ that includes all these points would still be most useful. Is something still in the works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:

But there's quite a few other rule questions that have been asked and answered over the years on matters that aren't covered by the rule-book, so having a comprehensive FAQ that includes all these points would still be most useful. Is something still in the works?

Nothing is currently in the works until this week. Per your request, I have started working on one and will post it here patterned after the ones you have done.

-KG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabhart wrote:
Nothing is currently in the works until this week. Per your request, I have started working on one and will post it here patterned after the ones you have done.

Many thanks Robert, I look forward to seeing that! Hopefully the Sniper/Saboteur FAQ I put together will make your life a little easier already; if I've got anything wrong there, please do let me know so that I can correct it accordingly, rather than lead others up the wrong path.

Please understand that any of the questions or suggestions I've posted about Arctic Scavengers are intended as constructive criticism. If I didn't love the game, I wouldn't bother with all the effort. I'm meticulous when it comes to ensuring that I'm playing correctly, and I'm excited enough about the game to have read through every rules thread here on BGG, to make sure I'm getting everything right. But the average gamer can't usually be bothered to trawl through all the forums, cherrying-picking a few threads here and there in a quest for answers. When they have a significant number of questions that aren't addressed by the rule-book, they're more likely to just give up on the game. I'd hate for that to happen, because it's a great game and you've worked hard in supporting it. Having a comprehensive FAQ that covers all outstanding issues should go a long way to helping out new players, by giving them a single place that will answer all their questions, and so encourage them to stick with and enjoy the game.

In parting, let me also say that your excellent support for your game is much evident in your dedicated answers to rule questions and other responses throughout the BGG forums. It's much appreciated, and very helpful, and I just want to convey my thanks for this again. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:

Good question. Is there an official answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
Ruskicowboy wrote:

Good question. Is there an official answer?

Mike Cooper's answer above reflects how I have always played and taught the game:

Thosw wrote:

I put mine face-up so I know which one it is, but I make sure that if I've attained a card from the Junkyard or Contested Resource, I bury it in the stack so my opponents can't see it.

In fact, Mike was on the ground floor of AS, serving as one of my frequent beta testers back in 2009.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the official answer. We played this wrong. In our game, every turn the winner of the contested resource showed the card to the others players shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.