Sturm Europa!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cards optional? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are (some of) the cards optional or are they ALL intended to be an integral part of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From everything I read, the cards are completely entwined in the game. Without the cards you cannot do anything(they have a numeric "operation value" for lack of a better term).

EDIT - if you mean to say, are there variations where some cards are removed and perhaps swapped out with other cards (expansions?) then I suppose that is possible. But from all that I read the specific array of cards is necessary for the proper "historical" flow of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this game is a CDG (Card Driven Game) now... the cards are very much a part of the mechanic of how the game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DetonatedManiac wrote:
From everything I read, the cards are completely entwined in the game. Without the cards you cannot do anything(they have a numeric "operation value" for lack of a better term).

EDIT - if you mean to say, are there variations where some cards are removed and perhaps swapped out with other cards (expansions?) then I suppose that is possible. But from all that I read the specific array of cards is necessary for the proper "historical" flow of the game.

Well, what I mean is that I came across a card that allows the Soviet player to conduct one atomic bomb stike per season (under certain conditions, no doubt) and since atomic bomb stikes don't really appeal to me in this type of game, I was just wondering whether certain cards could be left out of the deck(s)....And yes, I was also wondering whether the game could be played entirely without the cards, but the answer to that one seems to be a definitive no....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
DetonatedManiac wrote:

Well, what I mean is that I came across a card that allows the Soviet player to conduct one atomic bomb stike per season (under certain conditions, no doubt) and since atomic bomb stikes don't really appeal to me in this type of game, I was just wondering whether certain cards could be left out of the deck(s)....And yes, I was also wondering whether the game could be played entirely without the cards, but the answer to that one seems to be a definitive no....

The game cannot be played without the cards. We are considering optional cards as I have more ideas than I can possibly cram into even 165 cards. The optional cards would allow for more unconventional "what-ifs" such as the Great Purge never occuring or Walter Wever surviving and the Ural Bomber being developed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Soviet atomic bomb card. The pre-requisites for the Soviets are very very difficult to meet. Also the a-bomb cards aren't there to create a scenario where players are exchanging nukes as part of an ongoing struggle. It's more about being a wild card that prevents players from ignoring present situation and playing only for final scoring. If you play Twilight Struggle think "Wargames". If someone gets the a-bomb the game can end instantly and you determin winner based on current VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm particularly interested in this game BECAUSE it is a CDG. My favourite game mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.