BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: War of the ring, Memoir44 or Battlelore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost summer holiday and as we're not going anywhere this year I'd like to buy a slightly bigger game. For my SO to even consider it she will have to like it.

The three games I'm really interested in are war of the ring, memoir 44 and battlelore.

Now if it was up to me I'd pick up all three tomorrow as I'm convinced I'd enjoy them all three very, very much.

I have a feeling that memoir44 is the more popular of the three, but the WWII setting will probably turn off my girlfriends' interest. Is it really that good? So good that the setting will not be as important? Any other people had to deal with this?

Moving on to battlelore, I've read that this is even slightly better than Memoir, though I see memoir mentioned more often? Is it the setting and the fact that the most geeks here are male?

War of the ring: biggest problem is the time it takes. Does it really take 3-4 hours? Because I can take it off my wishlist straight away.

Which of the three:
has the best replayability?
has the smallest learning curve?
has the shortest playing time?

If anybody has a better advice (different game) I am, of course, very interested to hear it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
You are right about everything you say about these games.

These games are pretty different in "game play weight."

Memoir 44 probably wouldn't be enjoyable to someone who doesn't like war or WWII. It's a very light wargame. I think the theme/setting are a big part of the appeal of this game. Personally, I like this game very much, although the luck factor can be annoying if you let it ("What do you mean I can't counterattack on the left, just because I don't have the right card?")

Battlelore is best for someone who likes fighting games and fantasy. The basic rules are similar to M44, but it's more complex than M44 (more rules, more stuff you can do). Personally, I don't like it as much as M44 or Command and Colors: Ancients, but I know lots of other people do like it. I wished the ranged combat were stronger.

War of the Ring does indeed take 3-4 hours to play. Probably longer the first times you play, especially if none of you knows the rules. The rule book is pretty daunting, if you're not used to games like this and you will be learning it on your own. It's not so hard to play once you know how. This is also fantasy combat, LotR style. I've played this game once and I liked.

Best replayability: Hard to say, it's up to you. I would replay any of these.
Smallest learning curve: M44
Shortest playing time: M44

As far as other recommendations, please give more info about what you want.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get all of them, you won't regret it

If you want a short game, leave War of the Ring until last.

All 3 games take a good ten minutes to set up.

replayability is highest for Memoir and Battlelore, but that is partly because of the playing time of War of the Ring. The other 2 will get to the table far more often.

Both memoir and Battlelore are great games that can be played easily in an hour, so you can play both sides comfortably in an evening.

The Battlelore scenarios tend to be more balanced than the Memoir ones, so if WINNING is an important issue, I definitely recommend playing both sides and totalling the medals.

Between the two, it comes down to which theme engages you the most. Although there are some additional features in Battleore, like lore councils and magic, i would still say go for the one first whose theme appeals to you most.
I own both, have painted all the miniatures, and would never sell or trade either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 would be my bet, but even that is specific. My wife played it once with me but says it's for boys.

I know other wives who do play it, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore.
Can play it with spells or without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
has the best replayability?
has the smallest learning curve?
has the shortest playing time?

WotR: Awesome game, biggest learning curve, long set-up time. Same set up everytime, so that may be a factor for replayability.

Memoir: Very easy to learn, not too bad of a set up time, plays pretty quickly. Simple, yet addictively fun. Very very replayable due to tons of scenarios. Would recommend some of the expansions, though that increases cost, set up time and increases the complexity (yet no where near WotR)

Battle Lore: personally dislike it

Also consider:
The Hell of Stalingrad: great card game that is easy to learn, though may take a couple hours to play (basic game is shorter).

Commands & Colors: Ancients: like memoir but has a little more complexity

Hammer of the Scots: a really fun block game that is easy to learn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44...'nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is a long game. But, if you're into Tolkien, this is the game for you.

Memoir and BattleLore share many of the same mechanics. There's more rules in the base BattleLore game than their is in the base Memoir game, but the BattleLore rules are introduced gradually, so you won't be overwhelmed. If you're trying to get your SO to play, it's a question of whether your SO would prefer WWII or medieval/fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm a fairly speedy player, but WotR games with my friend who tends to have AP don't take more than 2.5h (first, learning game took 3). Under 2 hours isn't uncommon at all. Same applies to Doom and Arkham Horror, games which people somehow stretch into 3+ hours, mine are 2.5h max, under 2h most of the time (okay, AH gets mostly solo play with 4 investigators, but even under 1.5h isn't all that rare).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I must say that we're nowehere near 1.5-2 hrs for Arkham Horror as Rauli manages, so I'll jump to the conclusion that War of the Ring may very well be a game that my SO likes, but that it'll only hit the table maybe twice a year because of the length.

Memoir still attracts me the most with all the expansions and it being a light wargame. I will have to discuss the theme with my better half once more.

Battlelore looks amazing, but it is daunting. And I'm a bit worried about the setup time which can keep it from hitting the table.

Thanks again everyone, I've had some confirmation on my thoughts and a few new insights to consider. Two weeks left to nag/beg/plead wish me luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroHobbes wrote:
Battlelore looks amazing...

Note that the game's miniatures are paintable, but they are not painted when you get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I would add my 2 cents Canadian in here. My wife plays Memoir '44 and both our kids do too. Memoir '44 is an easy to learn game that can be played in about 45 minutes. It is a good gateway war game. Battlelore is similar, but a little more complicated, and the added complication may or may not be off putting. I would lean towards Memoir '44, but it depends on the theme your girlfriend would enjoy more. If it is a tie or you are unsure then go with Memoir '44, at least in my opinion.

We recently had a war gaming event where we introduced a new player to Command and Colors; which is possibly the most complicated of the 4 games that use the same system (Battle Cry being the 4th) and she loved it! So much so that her next game purchase will be Command and Colors. So I would not agonize too much over the choice between Memoir '44 and Battlelore.

War of the Ring, I enjoy and it is a great game, but I find that if either the person is not an overly enthusiastic Tolkien fan or an avid war gamer their eyes will glaze over very quickly. There is a lengthy set up time, even more so the first time you open the box before you have had a chance to sort the similarly coloured miniatures into usable groups and then place them in their starting configurations. The rule system while not overly complex is daunting to a new player. Then there are the strategies involved in playing the game, and the fact that you don't know how many of which type of actions you will have per game turn. A new player will be left drowning in a game that they would find they will enjoy just because they have been introduced to it too early in their gaming experience.

I hope this helps and I wish you well with whichever game you pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.