Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a crapload of cards from the first few sets. I've got a full set of Premiere, ANH, Hoth and Dagobah with MANY multiples - even of a few multiples of rare mains like Vader, Luke, Obi, Leia etc. Also have the two-player sets from Premiere and Hoth and the premiere anthology pack.

It would be awesome if these cards would actually do something else than collect dust though... I used to keep decks constructed, so I could play with mates coming over. I have no opponents who also own cards, nor do any of my opponents have any interest in sitting down with all my cards and construct decks.

I've looked at the [url http://www.starwarsccg.org/cube.xls]cube rules[/url] over on the SWCCG Players Committee's site, but there are several drawbacks to this format. First of all, I have only about half of the cards in the cube document. Second, there's some hassle before every playing session with building a deck. Furthermore, drafting on two players isn't that much fun.

I'd prefer if I could create some sort of deck randomizer... I don't mind putting some time into doing this - as long as I can put that time into it on my own and not at the actual playing session.

ANY help and ideas on how this could be done would be very thankfully received!

One idea I have, is to break down all my cards into sub type for either side. This would give me all Light Side Characters in one pile, all LS Vehicles in one pile, all LS Weapons in one pile and so on.

From these piles, I sort out and keep all cards that are any good in their own right and a few "easy combo" cards - like Vader's Lightsabre for instance. The rest would be sorted out and not used.

I would then try to balance stuff out between the sides, sorting out anything that sticks out too much on either side etc. There should be roughly the same amount of rares, uncommons and commons within each sub type of card (characters, devices, weapons etc).

Finally, these cards would be used to populate the "draw pool" for each side. I'm thinking something along the lines of 3-400 cards for each side. It would contain a mixture of rare, uncommon and common cards of all types except locations. Common and uncommon locations would be kept in an "unlimited" pool. Rare locations would be in the draw pool (equal numbers for each side). The rest of the draw pool would be made up of characters, effects, interrupts, ships, weapons, vehicles.

My biggest question now is, how should I go about constructing this draw pool? What percentage should I have of each card type (as above)? Should all card types be mixed in the pool, or should they be separated?

I suppose I could use the percentages from the cube excel sheet from the SWCCGPC (see link above) to get a decent mix of card types in the draw pool.

Next question is, how would they be drawn? I'd like to play with 60 card decks. Draw one chunk of 60 cards and then add unlimited locations to that chunk and discard cards down to 60? Draw a predefined amount of cards from each card type section, if the cards are separated?

The way I'm leaning right now is to divide each side's draw pool into Characters, Interrupts & Effects, Ships & Vehicles, Weapons & Devices. Then draw 60 cards, after this pattern:
25x Characters
14x Interrupts & Effects
14x Ships & Vehicles
7x Weapons & Devices

Then add locations by own accord from the unlimited locations pool, and discard cards down to a deck of 60.

If anyone have any ideas on how to refine this further, on how to tweak the numbers etc then please assist me. I haven't played SWCCG the last 10 years! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just keep several simple, straight-forward decks built and sleeved for times when someone shows up without a deck but wants to play. Sadly, this hasn't happened yet.

Another option is to have a pair of giant decks (the 300-400 cards you mentioned) and just keep track of Force lost with pen and paper or dice. First player to -60 loses. (If I were going to so this, I would only keep track of Force lost to drains, battles, and card effects (like Visage of the Emperor). This obviously does not mimic the game perfectly, but the record-keeping would be too tedious otherwise.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Next question is, how would they be drawn? I'd like to play with 60 card decks. Draw one chunk of 60 cards and then add unlimited locations to that chunk and discard cards down to 60? Draw a predefined amount of cards from each card type section, if the cards are separated?

The way I'm leaning right now is to divide each side's draw pool into Characters, Interrupts & Effects, Ships & Vehicles, Weapons & Devices. Then draw 60 cards, after this pattern:
25x Characters
14x Interrupts & Effects
14x Ships & Vehicles
7x Weapons & Devices

Then add locations by own accord from the unlimited locations pool, and discard cards down to a deck of 60.

Sounds good, but I would increase the number of ships drawn so space decks could be more of an option.

If people are making 60 card decks, you may want to let people draft 75 or so cards (not including locations) and make decks from that. Personally, I like 40 or 45 card decks. Having a smaller deck helps people make better decks, especially since some of the cards they draft may not go very well with their other cards. It also makes the game tighter, shorter, and makes deck management more important.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff: I've thought about that too - but I want something more random. Building several pre-made decks would mean I'd end up with themed decks that are matched. Tattooine jawa deck vs tattooine imperials. Trooper decks. Some deck(s) with mains.

Maybe I'll end up with that in the end - if this doesn't work out. I'd like to take a shot at random decks though...

Aarontu wrote:
Sounds good, but I would increase the number of ships drawn so space decks could be more of an option.

Good point!

Aarontu wrote:
If people are making 60 card decks, you may want to let people draft 75 or so cards (not including locations) and make decks from that. Personally, I like 40 or 45 card decks. Having a smaller deck helps people make better decks, especially since some of the cards they draft may not go very well with their other cards. It also makes the game tighter, shorter, and makes deck management more important.

I've thought about this too - drawing 60 AND playing with 60 card decks doesn't leave much to throw away.

However, I'm looking more for random decks than draft built decks. I've made sure to not include much in the draw pool that have too many dependencies on other cards. That means most cards can work and make some sense right out of the pool. I don't keep jedi tests in there. I've kept "Deploy only to $LOCATION" to a minimum.

I'm getting close to being able to draw my first LS deck, actually. Will post a few examples when I get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, OK. Random decks could be cool, too; would definitely cut down on setup/drafting time before the game. With 60 non-locations, there will still be a little room to throw out useless cards, too.

If I was doing it, I would keep combo-specific cards out of the pool (e.g. Commence Primary Ignition), along with anything related to Degobah (I would even disallow Degobah locations; they have wonky deployment restrictions and wouldn't be useful or fun in random/draft decks anyway). I would also make the interrupts and effects pool full of cards that are useful in a variety of situations (Walker Garrison is a good card, but only useful in a specific situation). Some cards are useful in any deck, like Sense, Alter, Control, Nabrun Lieds/Elis Helrot, Ghhhk/Houjix, most Djerik cards, Talon Roll, Out of Nowhere, Rebel/Imperial barrier, Revolution, etc.

I would probably separate vehichle and ship draws; just 2 or 3 vehichles would be fine. I'd increase the number of ships drawn and decrease the number of weapons/devices drawn to 4 or so. Most weapons and devices in the early sets were fairly useless, anyway (except for the unique ones). Artilery weapons were nearly worthless, and would be even more useless in a drafted/random deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I've got an anthology box stuffed with cards now. I ended up with the following distribution for each side:
90 Characters
70 Interrupts & Effects (50/50)
50 Ships & Vehicles (14 vehicles, rest are ships)
25 Weapons & Devices

All locations are "unlimited", ie you can pick any you'd like. I've left a few locations out (asteroids, holotables, death star, executor-sites and other vehicle sites).

A deck is constructed by drawing 60 cards; 24 characters, 15 interrupts & effects, 15 ships & vehicles and 6 weapons & devices. Unwanted cards are discarded and the deck is filled up to 60 cards with locations.

It worked pretty good, I haven't play tested it yet but have pulled a few decks. The process was quick and hopefully I'll get to play soon.

I'm very happy it all fits perfectly into my First Anthology box! =)

If there's any interest for a list of the cards used, I might type it up - but since I only use Premiere, ANH, Hoth and Dagobah I suspect it's pretty useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great idea! I also have stacks of SWCCG cards that never leave the box. What I wouldn't do to find some local players... But, barring that, a randomizer would give me an excuse to play with newbies without having to worry about building several well-balanced theme decks.

I wish you'd gotten some Cloud City cards in there, but I'd still be interested in seeing your card list. I expect there are other old-time players here that didn't collect the cards through those Phantom Menace sets (I stopped at Special Edition myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll type up the list when I get back home later this week. If nothing else, it can give a few general ideas on composition and "theme".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
The card list is now compiled and available for download. Check out this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427006

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.