Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, another one of my "nitpicking" threads.

Pictures are sorted in three categories: Game, People, Creative.
Game: "Images containing no altered components where the focus is on the game, the box, or components."
Creative: "Images of the game that contain creative elements such as modified components or fun situations."

Obviously, these categories are there to avoid confusion. The "Game" gallery should contain only images of the actual game, how it is sold, so users camn have a look at what they get when buying the game.
Alright - so how about images showing designs, cards, boxes in a "pre-publishing" state? I would say, these are "creative", but many times they are simply in the "game" gallery, since they show the game as it is/was at a certain point.

Suggestion: Texts more clear on the "uploading picture" page. Plus, the reasons for the categories should not be readable only if you "mouse over" the "?", but always, so image ulpoaders will see them.

Suggestions for the texts:

"Game: Images containing no altered material with the focus on the game, the box, the components. In short: Images of the game "out of the box"."

"Creative: "Images of the game containing creative elements, different components than "out of the box" (including prototypes), PC-game versions or fun situations."

Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you, but I'm also okay with the images in the "game" area with a good caption. To me, it's a bit like having different editions in the game gallery, which we do. I'd want to know what to expect when buying Genoa (random game that came to mind), or something like Scrabble, that has a million editions/versions out. I can't assume any one image will be what I get when I go to the store. A picture may be worth 1,000 words, but the caption supplies the other 10 we really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you, but I'm also okay with the images in the "game" area with a good caption. To me, it's a bit like having different editions in the game gallery, which we do. I'd want to know what to expect when buying Genoa (random game that came to mind), or something like Scrabble, that has a million editions/versions out. I can't assume any one image will be what I get when I go to the store. A picture may be worth 1,000 words, but the caption supplies the other 10 we really need.

I agree. Captions should be mandatory. I often reject images in geekmod with the note that a good caption would help understand what the photo is all about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you, but I'm also okay with the images in the "game" area with a good caption. To me, it's a bit like having different editions in the game gallery, which we do.

I see a difference here. People are free to choose "all" to look at all images. But a click on "Game" should let them see what they can expect if they get the game sowmewhere. Of course there are different editions, but they are all more or less "available" - not so painted miniatures, prototypes or self-made boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But we weren't talking about painted miniatures, we were talking about a prototype, perhaps the version that is getting playtested.

Here's a good example, from my wishlist:

Caption:

PROTOTYPE: Mid-game. Still a few unexplored regions - too many other things to worry about!

I think it's neat to see the games in progress, and it's obvious that these are "working drafts", if you will.

I agree personalized/customized stuff belongs in creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Caption: Playing a prototype of Modern Society at Spiel Essen 2008

Looks great, though, and it peobably is, but the final game hasn`t even a board.

Caption or not, it is confusing until there are some pictures of the actual game after Essen 2009.

So, as i said, people have the oppotunity to se all pics and get a clue through the captions, which would be fine to be mandatory, too.

However, it would be nice to have a decision on this and a clear guideline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an unreasonable request. Although, the vast majority of all prototypes are so obviously prototypes, it's rarely a problem. Modern Society however, will be. I know I was surprised when I realized there was no board.

My dream one day - a version filter system to go along with the current categories. First you choose which version you want, "1st edition" / "2nd Edition", or "Kosmos version" / "Rio Grande version", or "English version" / "German edition". Or "All versions", if you wanted all.

Then from there you could choose the gallery, and the specific components to completely narrow down what you wanted to see.

This versioning would solve some of the "split / don't split" debate, because then a game like Diamant could be versioned into Diamant and Incan Gold. You could see one or both as desired.

Done correctly, this could apply to *everything* about a game. The discussions, that way you could mark a question as applying to Incan Gold only, so someone interested in Diamant only wouldn't see it.

The ratings and stats as well. You could mark your rating was for one of the games, or for the combined entry. Ownership and plays could be instantly seen for one vs the others, or combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.