Subject: total money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e Söderberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mb
It says the game ends when the bank runs out of money. how much cash is there in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The length of the game is driven by the amount of money the bank starts with. You can tailor this by using different amounts. A shorter game could be arranged by starting with, for example, $6000 - a longer game by starting with $1500 or $18000. The shorter game would usually be accompanied by the option of adding an additional six-train and removing the diesels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Modifying the bank size is not a small alteration to the design.

Please hesitate before arbitrarily modifying the bank size as the size was set by the designer as part of making the design work. It would be less work and a better experience to look for thoroughly playtested variants (sometimes contained in the official ruleset).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually think that the bank size has that much to do with the game length as some people think. Sure, a larger bank would make the game longer, but the train roster and starting cash has a much larger role at this than the bank size, I'd guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
I don't actually think that the bank size has that much to do with the game length as some people think. Sure, a larger bank would make the game longer, but the train roster and starting cash has a much larger role at this than the bank size, I'd guess.

IMHO, the single biggest factor to game pace is the willingness of the players to push the train rush. When the trains are not scooped up quickly, the game tends to run at a much slower pace. An extra OR here and there between train purchases leads to a longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BrenoK wrote:

Quite. By the end of the game ~$5K is leaving the bank with every set of ORs. It really doesn't matter what size the bank is at that point: it will break quickly. As happens $12K is a reasonable length as depending on the speed of the train rush up until the diesels it is right in the middle of the diesels run 1x-5x times space, thus allowing for considerable significance in timing the diesel lengths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the default $12000 bank takes about 4 hours to get through, and is just right. There are 18xx titles whose banks I would tinker with, but I think 1830 is fine as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm basing my experience on the PC version of the game where setting the base bank amount to tailor the length of the game was part of the program (the precise numbers may not be what I stated but are close enough to illustrate the principle). Believe it or not the result is either a noticably shorter, or longer, game (whether playing with 'bots or humans). But that's beside the point - the $12,000 answer to the original answer is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.