Popular Tags: [View All]
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been trying the base game, but there is one thing I can't find in the rules. Are you obligated to build track in the building phase?

For instance if I chose city growth, and I don't want to build new track because I am short on cash and just want to deliver some cubes this turn, could I just perform the city growth without building new track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. you don't need to build tracks if you don't want to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There often comes a point in the last turn or two where some players don't want to build track. But if you have the cash, it's usually worth building *something*. Cash is only a tiebreaker at the end of the game, but completed links of track are worth 1VP. So even when all the useful routes have been taken, it can still be worthwhile to build a link out to a town at the edge of the board to claim that extra VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I thought income was a tiebreaker at the end of the game and not cash on hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmbmb
And you're right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone . That is indeed how I played it, that building is not obligatory, but I try to squeeze tracks in if at all possible for the vps when I don't need them or am short on cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that cash was the tiebreaker; I'm wrong. Cash is completely irrelevant; income points as the first tie breaker, then selected action tile (in the base game at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Richard is nevertheless correct in stating that if you have the cash, it is better to score an additional point than not building.

And it is even better, if you take that link away from someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Leftover cash is bad at the end - if you can't deliver cubes (unlikely), grab engineer and find some two-tracks to build up for VP if you have a mountain of cash and things are that close.... If anything, it's an indicator that you didn't switch over to VP soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.