Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: What do people use to determine trade value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have traded a few times, but there are several possible trades I would like to try that I haven't because I don't know how to assess the trade value of my games because I don't know what criteria is being used. Is there an explanation of this somewhere?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade value is subjective. When making trade offrers for games that are still widely available, I use their price through places like Thoughthammer or CoolStuffInc. You always have to remember to figure shipping into the equation when trading too. That's why a lot of small trades don't happen I think. Sure, I might trade my San Juan for your Odin's Ravens, but add $6-$10 shipping on top of it and suddenly it's not such a good deal for either of us.

But anyways, there are no concrete rules for this still since we all value things differently.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Each person values according to their own myriad of factors. No one should get into a snit if their's do not match with anothers. Propose away and they should be polite in declining if it does not match.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geschichte wrote:
I have traded a few times, but there are several possible trades I would like to try that I haven't because I don't know how to assess the trade value of my games because I don't know what criteria is being used. Is there an explanation of this somewhere?

You can start by going to the page of the game you are interested in and going to : Statistics >> Price History: View. Click on [View] and it will give you an idea as to what this game sold for before. Keep in mind that these are averages over time. Some games that used to be expensive and later were re-issued drop in price which "Price History" wouldn't reflect. Still, it's a good starting point.

Also, go to ebay and view the current prices for the game as well as search for the "Completed listings". This will give you some idea of the price and availability.

David Dawn (kingmaker fan) wrote:
Propose away and they should be polite in declining if it does not match.

This simply isn't true of BGG. MOST people will not even respond to a trade offer. SOME will be polite. And some will be hostile and insulting. Check out this exchange.

I am not suggesting that paranoia is the answer, BUT... there is no reason to wonder these friendly shores with your hand out and your leg up expecting nothing but flowers, fairies and fuzzy bunnies only to get discouraged.

Do research the best you can. Do send a geekmail BEFORE the official trade offer. Do not be discouraged.

Take care.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ned Ludd wrote:
Some games that used to be expensive and later were re-issued drop in price which "Price History" wouldn't reflect. Still, it's a good starting point.


It's also the case that the opposite is sometimes true. A game that is currently OOP is likely to increase in value over time (unless a reprint is imminent), so your valuation of something like that should be at the higher end of the range.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the value of certain games does vary greatly depending upon the version, and that's never reflected in the BGG Marketplace history. That's where a check of eBay's completed listings can be helpful. It's also sometimes helpful to go into the Game Valuations forum and just ask the question of your fellow BGG members.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ned Ludd wrote:
geschichte wrote:

[q="David Dawn (kingmaker fan)"]Propose away and they should be polite in declining if it does not match.

This simply isn't true of BGG. MOST people will not even respond to a trade offer. SOME will be polite. And some will be hostile and insulting.


Just want to clarify, I did not say they would be polite, only that they should be polite.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Corrie
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the person that offered too low a trade that started that whole exchange, and I'm ok with that. If my trade is not wanted, it can be ignored, denied, or countered. I'd rather deal with some low offers and work something out so both people come out ahead, trading games they don't/won't play for ones that they will. Keep pushing those trade geekmails and you'll find somebody pleasant to deal with. Good luck!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try thinking about it from the other persons view point.

If you had the game would you find the offer acceptable? And if you suspect you are trying to get a bargain, chances are the trader will know ...

Maybe different if the game you're offering is #1 on their wishlist - even if 'values' look off to you. Nothing wrong with adding a comment that you're happy to accept a counter offer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to check the marketplace of a specific game to get an idea of value. Prices can vary based on the condition of a game. Also, ebay prices tend to be higher than marketplace prices. Possibly due to the fact that you're dealing with a storefront instead of another geek.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Though when reading marketplace prices, it's important to consider that they're the prices which *haven't* been taken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ned Ludd wrote:
And some will be hostile and insulting. Check out this exchange.


Wow. I'm a bit embarrassed to be Canadian after reading that thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
Avatar
mbmbmb
It also might be helpful to track the selling price graphically through this new tool:

http://www.spielboy.com/GeekPrices.php

Just an awesome application.

Things I take into account when trying to determine trade value:

Rarity
Quantity of Components
Availability
Original MSRP
Condition
Current Selling Price on BGG and eBay (BGG is accurate, eBay is inflated most of the time)
How badly do I want to get rid of the game.
How badly do I want to get the game I am trying to trade for (I have traded WAY down because of this before).

It is VERY subjective, and don't be suprised if you mostly get rejected for the offers you propose. The ones that get accepted make it all worthwile though.

Good Luck,
LA
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How badly do I want to get rid of the game.
How badly do I want to get the game I am trying to trade for (I have traded WAY down because of this before).


Ditto here.
What are these games, inbound and outbound, worth to me?

Another big consideration is how much will it cost to ship. I know I could trade something like Formula De pretty easily, but since it's a pretty common (as in easy to obtain) item and it's in a massive box I'm not likely to get an offer that be enticing enough to shell out $20+ to mail it.

I've okay'd some trades in which the other party must have been counting their lucky stars, but if I can move something that won't see the table here for something with greater perceived value to me it's a big consideration, for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
(BGG is accurate, eBay is inflated most of the time)


I disagree. BGG pricing is just another point on the spread. Generally speaking, eBay represents one end of the pricing spectrum, BGG the other. Accuracy doesn't enter into it.

When I trade I take both into account because I both trade and buy/sell games. For me it makes little sense to accept a lower value trade than what I can sell for since it takes about equal effort to do either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The most accurate method is, of course, numerology.

First, turn all the letters of the game you want to trade into numbers using the following:

1= a, j, s
2= b, k, t
3= c, l, u
4= d, m, v
5= e, n, w
6= f, o, x
7= g, p, y
8= h, q, z
9= i, r

Now, add the numbers together. Then total each place of the number again and again until you get a number between 1 and 9.

Example: Bohnanza → 2+6+8+5+1+5+8+1=36 → 3+6=9

Now, do the same for the game you want in trade.

If your game's number is equal to the game you want in trade, then this is a trade that I would consider fair. If the numbers are within one digit of each other, then the trade may slightly favor one party over the other, but it should be an agreeable trade as well. Differences in numbers of more than 1 are a joke and should be mocked immediately.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.