Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any advantage to returning to Arkham from the Other World due to an Other World encounter if you are in the second area of the Other World?

If you are in the first area, I can see the speedy return as being an advantage. If you are in the second area, it seems to be a detriment.

Example: There is a monster on the location containing the gate I will be returning through. I'm in the second area of the Other World. If I have my encounter in the Other World this turn, on my next OW movement I will return to Arkham and then during the Arkham Encounter phase try to seal/close the gate; I do not have to deal with the monster at the location that turn. If, however, the Other World encounter I have while I'm in the second area sends me back to Arkham, I cannot try to seal/close the gate, since that is done during the Arkham Encounter phase; I have to wait until next turn (as I would have anyway). On top of this, then the next turn I will have to deal with the monster before trying to close/seal the gate.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is at least one instance I can think of.

Investigators 1 & 2. #1 is the current First Player and in the OW. He gets a return to Arkham encounter in the 2nd area of the OW. Next turn #2 is the FP, so he can move to #1's location, pass him an Elder Sign (or something that helps him close the gate more easily, not Clues unless specifically allowed; Coded Messages is nice, but there are items), and moves away. If #1 had not returned early, trade would've meant #2 is sucked into the OW before #1 can close/seal (since #2 moves to the open gate first, then #1 returns via his normal move, trading, then sucked!).

Another that I just thought of:

You're at 1 Sanity and have the Xenophobia Madness card from DH (lose 1 Sanity during Upkeep if in the OW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been demonstrated, there are possible benefits and possible detriments. However, most of the time it doesn't matter either way. Arkham is a fickle beast indeed.

Edit: Completely forgot half of my post. Most of the time you don't really have a choice in the matter, so regardless of any percieved strategic problems or boons that may arise from returning while in the 2nd area, it's almost always out of your control (Other than the skill checks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
gulpereel wrote:
Your at 1 stamina and a Cthonian is on the board. You get a return from other world encounter while in the second part. Upkeep: Cthonian moves and your last stamina is gone. Darn return from Arkham Encounter card.

Monsters move in Mythos Phase.

-glam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.