Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got Bloodbowl on the table with Andy (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/rayrayxl3) and had a nice match. Andy took control of the standard Orc team out of the box and I took the stock Humans. I won the toss and elected to receive.

First Half

Andy managed a really fortunate kick-off, with the ball landing in one of the corners of the field. I rushed a passer over to pick it up and bring it to the middle of my end of the field. On his first turn Andy injured one of my Catchers- he was knocked out and missed the rest of the first half. Andy tried to follow up with a block by a Black Orc along the wing (where the ball carrier was), but rolled Attacker down and Attacker/Defender down. This created a nice opening.

I managed to pass the ball to a lineman near the downed players- he slipped through Andy's defense and ran for the end zone. Andy freed two defenders to go back, make a key blitz and secure the ball. He then started bashing my players as he methodically moved down the field. I lost 2 additional players to injury (one knocked out and the other badly hurt) as the Orcs assembled a solid drive and scored on Turn 6.

My bad fortune with the dice continued- my two unconscious players still weren't awake by the next kickoff. I only had two turns to work before halftime so I put together a desperation play. I threw a long pass to a lineman deep in the Orc territory, who was then hit by a waiting defense. His dropping of the ball effectively ended the half.

Second Half

My second catcher woke in time for the second half, which left me with 9 players and being forced to kick. Andy played a really conservative game- he gave the ball to his blitzer to minimize the chances of being knocked down. He also brought over 3 additional players (including a Black Orc) to protect the ball carrier. Because of injuries and solid play by the rest of his defense, I was only able to bring 3 players to attack the ball carrier- I lost three more players to injury and the other three spent most of the second half stuck in a brawl with other Orcs. I got one final shot with the ball on Turn 7, but a good bash from an Orc lineman forced a fumble and let Andy close out the win 1-0.

Post Game

I'm getting a much better handle on the strategy for the humans- against a stronger team like the orcs you have to use your blocks to open up passing plays, and rely on your speed in place of strength. But I had some really poor die rolling that caused a lot of injuries and was never able to overcome it.

I did come away thinking that I worried too much about taking risks. I spent the first 4 turns of the second half trying to get an advantage in strength over his ball carrier to improve my chances of successfully blitzing. I didn't blitz on two even strength opportunities to try and get assistance later in the turn and suffered turn-overs when my intended blitzers missed a dodge and the reroll. I think I would have had a better shot hitting him at even strength. As it was I didn't slow him down until I got desperate later in the half.

I was happy to see Andy progress in his strategy- this was his second game and he got a much better feel for how to find assists. He also got a lot better at defending (his learning game was 2-0 at the half because I had catchers get beyond his players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice quick report on the game! I would agree that its often better to take that one die shot at the ball carrier than wait for something better to develop when you have less players on the field than the other guy. Nuffle rewards the bold! (disclaimer: Nuffle considers skulls a kind of reward )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 1-die blitz on the ball carrier is almost always worth it!

On offence the key is to play conservatively. Try to go for handoffs instead of passes.

On defence the key is to play conservatively until you have a shot at freeing up the ball. Going hard for the ball also forces your opponent to protect it better, which means there are less orcs bashing the rest of your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.