United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Retired USAF / ANG
badge
http://www.virtualwargamer.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the GM for a session of Memoir'44 Overlord at A Gathering of Strangers in Salt Lake City, Utah on July 11th 2009.

The players picked sides kind of like you'd see at a pickup softball game. Each CiC alternated picking their players. Setup and explanation of the rules took about an hour and we started our first round of play about half an hour (maybe 45 minutes) after the scheduled start time.

The rolls were a little less than devastating and the Germans' attack was not all that aggressive and lacked a concentrated effort (probably due to the fact that the German field generals were relatively new to M'44. When the players decided to end (after about 2.5 of the 3 hour block) both sides had 2 medals apiece.

This was my first time using the Overlord command decks. I think the counterattack card is misleading. I do not understand the need for the CiC icon on the card. I let myself be lured into allowing one of the CiCs to play the counterattack card before all the other sides' field generals had finished play (and the field general was able to get a card the next turn). His argument was that it had a CiC icon (like the Ambush cards) therefore it must mean the CiC took direct command of the timing of the counterattack (interrupt mode) similar to an Ambush. After reading the rules more closely, I think that is not the case. But, I think the placement of the CiC icon on that card is unnecessary and can cause confusion.

I'm sorry the players weren't able to finish the scenario. I think this battle would have gone to the last medal (which seems to coincide with the balance of play information I've seen online for this scenario).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.