Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Chicago Express» Forums » Variants

Subject: Poker Chips VS. Paper Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I am glad that Johnny Jaws is my friend.
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I know who I am. I'm the ant playin' the ant, disguised as another ant!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't a variant necessarily, but I was wondering if any of you are using poker chips in this game? If yes, how much better are the chips vs. the paper money? I just acquired CE and the paper money seems questionable. BTW, I have not played this yet and was considering investing in poker chips before introducing this to my group. Your opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I exclusively use poker chips.

One game, I forgot the poker chips and we opted to track the players' cash and company holdings on a white board (we were at the office) instead of using paper money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have specific comments about CE's paper money because I've always played it with poker chips!

I think that poker chips are almost as necessary as dice for a gamer, and my group uses them frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played a few games with paper money and a few with poker chips. Poker chips are definitely better as it's much easier to see quickly how much money the players and the companies have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I exclusively use poker chips, no matter the money the game comes with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see so much love for poker chips. I hadn't really considered it until I saw the gigantic notes in Stephenson's Rocket. Now I see a set of poker chips as a must own next purchase for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
rockusultimus wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips only for me also. The only time I use anything else for money in any game is if I'm travelling; the poker chips are heavy and bulky to take on a plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips are particularly good with CE, because you need to know how much each player is holding and how much each company has for assets. With the chips you can generally tell at a glance; with the paper money, you are frequently picking it up to count it.

One note if you're looking for chips, I first bought chips that were blank for flexibility, but over time I found that using different colors for different denominations in various games caused a little confusion at times. I have since purchased a set with denominations and that has proved to be the better approach for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule I use poker chips instead of paper money but Chicago Express' is really nice, so I'm happy using the paper money that comes with the game. It's with games like Power Grid where the paper money is butt-ugly (perhaps intentionally?) that poker chips come into their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I never use poker chips. That's sooo blase and overhyped it's not even funny.

You're playing a game that's based on historical times so paper money makes it that much more enjoyable and believable, because that's what they used way back in the days. After all you're tring to relive the times way back then by playing the game. Sort of, but that's the idea anyway.

Why stop at poker chips?? Set a laptop computer next to the game and you don't even have to be nuisanced with the chip shuffling all the time.... Yaaaay!!

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greengow wrote:

It depends: if somebody absolutely refuses to play a game unless the paper money is replaced by his beloved poker chips, then yes, I would tend to agree with you that that person is blase.

However, I do prefer to play with poker chips if they are available for the reasons already mentioned by other people in this thread (easier to handle, easier to count). For instance, we played Chicago Express last Friday at our BOGA gamenight and were about to start the game with the regular paper money that comes with the game (which, in my opinion, look very nice). As I explained the rules, I mentioned on a side note that we usually play with poker chips and somebody instantly offered to run to his car and get them out of the trunk. So again, while I would have had no problem to continue playing with the paper money, I was certainly more happy that we switched to poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
greengow wrote:
After all you're tring to relive the times way back then by playing the game. Sort of, but that's the idea anyway.

Uhh, not at all. That notion never enters the picture for me.

Quote:
Why stop at poker chips?? Set a laptop computer next to the game and you don't even have to be nuisanced with the chip shuffling all the time.... Yaaaay!!

Yep, we do that too for some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DaMilli wrote:
greengow wrote:

It depends: if somebody absolutely refuses to play a game unless the paper money is replaced by his beloved poker chips, then yes, I would tend to agree with you that that person is blase.

I refuse to play the 18xx unless they are played with poker chips, Lemmi's moderator or some other efficient money handling system. The pain of playing them with paper money exceeds their value to me. Ditto Imperial and a great many other games actually. There are a few which are borderline, trick-taking card game points (paper and pencil is fine), Age of Steam's and Clipper's tiddlywinks are perfectly acceptable given their small numbers and relatively infrequent transactions, a score track instead of money for Stephenson's Rocket would be much preferred, even over poker chips, etc.

Quote:
So again, while I would have had no problem to continue playing with the paper money, I was certainly more happy that we switched to poker chips.

FWLIW I would not play Chicago Express without poker chips. There's good reason that poker chips are a standard part of my game crate and come with me to every gaming event. It is the relatively rare game I play where they're not used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
rockusultimus wrote:

+1

+2

I use mini pokerchips, they are small and feel soft in your hands, and don't take up too much space, and they don't look too pokery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything is better than paper money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a poker player and owner of quality poker chips. It's pretty much a given that any game in our house with paper money will be played with the chips. Much easier to handle.

Except for Monopoly Jr. My youngest two will only play with the paper money as they like fanning the notes out and waving them in my face
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Nelson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I don't own a poker chip set (yet), but I'm beginning to see a lot of advantages here:
+ Easy to see each player's amount.
+ Much more durable than paper money.
+ The same set can be used for almost any game involving money.
+ Much easier to replace than a missing or broken "game money" note or token.

However, I also see some drawbacks:
- Not as aestethically pleasing (yes, I'm a sucker for "real" money and game components that "fits the game theme", so to say).
- Yet another thing to bring along for gaming sessions.
- Potentially extra trouble to count out the amount available in the game. (In some games the total amount of available money is limited for a reason. If you use the game money you only need to check it now and then to see that no piece is missing, but if you use chips then you need to count out the proper amount every time you start to play.)

Also, not being a poker player myself I have very little knowledge of the amounts on the chips, and if they correspond to the games I like to play. I mean, some games use money with values like 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, but in other games the values might be 100 000, 200 000, 1 000 000, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnel wrote:
Also, not being a poker player myself I have very little knowledge of the amounts on the chips, and if they correspond to the games I like to play. I mean, some games use money with values like 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, but in other games the values might be 100 000, 200 000, 1 000 000, etc.

I have the same problem. We typically end up putting one chip of each color onto the corresponding piece of paper money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DaMilli wrote:
jonnel wrote:

I have the same problem. We typically end up putting one chip of each color onto the corresponding piece of paper money.

Simpler: Just pick a set of colour/value assignments and never ever change them. I suggest either 1/5/25/100/500... or 1/5/20/100/500... (just continue the 4x or 5x multiplier pattern for larger values), whichever is seems more natural to you. For games which deal in larger numbers, just knock off trailing zeros until the lowest unit is $1: then your chips work everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or use denominated poker chips. I have mini poker chips with 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, and 500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've a $15 Wal-Mart special (the only thing I've ever actually bought from Wal-Mart), 300-count in 5 denominations (double-whites). I count the green chips as $50 instead of $25, which is the usual standard. The count is $8351 (a "bonus display" white chip came with). The case came wtih 2 decks of cards which I threw out, and supplemented instead with ~25 crappy plastic white poker chips that my ex-g/f gave me last year, using them as $1000's (upon receiving one once, I bit the chip a la a gold coin. It broke.). In this fashion, I have enough money to run all 18XX games I've yet come across.

I'll upgrade at some point, but it's not a priority. I find the case rather portable and the chips' benefits to far outweigh their problems. I should give Lemmi's moderator a shot again, I only tried it once, in my second-ever 18XX game, and found the money's lack of physical presence to be somehow disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
I'm surprised to see so much love for poker chips. I hadn't really considered it until I saw the gigantic notes in Stephenson's Rocket. Now I see a set of poker chips as a must own next purchase for me.

This may be what you are looking for:

http://www.meeplepeople.com/proddetail.php?prod=Poker08

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thoses are the ones I have, they are excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am glad that Johnny Jaws is my friend.
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I know who I am. I'm the ant playin' the ant, disguised as another ant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks everyone for your posts. I ordered poker chips and last night we played using them. My wife is usually the banker and she thinks using poker chips is waaaaayyy easier than paper money. I like how easier it is to get a general idea of how much money everyone has, which is crucial in this game. Again, thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.