United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Retired USAF / ANG
badge
http://www.virtualwargamer.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I was gamemaster for a session of Mustangs in Miniature at A GATHERING OF STRANGERS in Salt Lake City, Utah on July 11th, 2009.

We used the standard Mustangs map and 1/300 GHQ aircraft models and Litko flight stands/sticks. I stupidly tried to use the spotting rules (big mistake for a convention with players who are unfamiliar with the system). We had 6 players, 3 spitfire v1 vs 3 me-109d in a meeting engagement at Alt 2.

Spotting proved to make the turns just take too long and really caused one of the players to be shot down before he could really get much from the scenario (he suffered a 3 hit attack - partially because he did not have a tally on his attacker - and 2 of those three hits were crew hit ... so his pilot was killed on the 2nd impulse of the game). The rest of the players pretty much ended up in a huge furrball/knife fight in the middle of the map. Except for one poor fellow whose plane never got close enough to the fray because of the random setup.

We ran out of time and had to cleanup after 2.8 hours with 1 me109 shot down (pilot killed), 1 me109 crippled (damaged engine, wounded crew,multiple wing hits, multiple fuselage hits, and a fuel line hit), 1 spitfire damaged (damaged engine)

Lessons learned: I will go back to using the 2 inch hex generic mapsheet. I will never using spotting rules for a convention run event (EVER!!). I will go back to placing the two sides facing each other and let them fly towards each other rather than try a random setup for convention scenarios. I will return to glueing a strong magnet on the Litko stand and mag tape on the aircraft ... my attempt to glue the flight stick toppers directly to the models generated less than desired results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for teaching the game Rick. I know both Tim and I really enjoyed it and have been talking about it since. I think the spotting rules are fine but I did feel bad about Steve's plane getting shot down so quickly. It did run a little long but still a great fun experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Billings
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Retired USAF / ANG
badge
http://www.virtualwargamer.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kent!

I agree with your points. I think it was a fun game ... but maybe not for everyone. After gamemastering a gaming event, I try to self-critique and see what I could do better the next time. I admit that the biggest reason I gamemaster is so I can find new folks that I can play in the future (like at one of the GNG wargame days maybe). So, I'm especially glad that you and Tim enjoyed the game. I'd be happy to play it again in the future!

The biggest reason I think I need to drop the spotting rules during a CON event is that keeping the game moving is critical for a multiplayer event. They work fine when ther players are experienced. But, they proved to be a bit too cumbersome on Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No time for pics? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.