Subject: Want to play it with 6 year old children... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Rettore
Italy
Riese Pio X (Treviso)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm very attracted to this game, but its mechanics and the language dependance aren't suitable for family plays with little children like mine (5-6 years; consider also that we speak italian).

In other words, I'm actually playing "the Hobbit" with simplified rules, so for Arabian nights I want to do the same.

To my purpose, I wanted to know:

-how many encounter cards are contained in the box?
-Is every encounter card illustrated with a character or a place?
-could you post some pics about a general view of encounter cards ? ('til now I've seen at most only ten different encounter cards)

Naturally I have to imagine simplified rules using the map, encounter cards, and maybe the book of tales and some Treasure cards with simple effect.

Any advice or any picture ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
My six year old happily plays Tales of the Arabian nights, *but* his reading in English is at a grade 4-5 level. I couldn't imagine playing this game in a second language with little kids, it would be a nightmare.

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rettore
Italy
Riese Pio X (Treviso)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturally I would translate everything in real time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game with my 6-year-old son, sort of solitaire-mode, doing all the reading myself. He enjoyed it quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm contemplating playing with my 6 year old as well. There are two issues I can foresee right now. First, although he can read, it would be a struggle to read all the text in an encounter. I think he'd enjoy it if I read to him, but he wouldn't reciprocate. So I don't know how I would get a turn. If his mother played as well...but that's probably not going to happen with a 3 year old and 1 year old running about.

Second, it would have to be shortened. He's good for up to an hour, but beyond that, forget it. Even the hour is pushing it. It sounds like you can just lower the victory points to solve this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I guess my take on it is this:

If the child doesn't have the reading ability to do the reading him/herself, I would wait until they are old enough to do it. Perhaps it would make more sense to play Talisman, having the child do as much of the reading as he or she can, until their reading is up enough for the longer more intense reading Tales requires -- remember, it's not just the encounters, but the quest cards, status cards, etc. A lot of heavy reading.

Add in the following: Tales is a fairly long game. My six year old will happily sit and play a game for 3+ hours. Doing all the reading (and with the quests, etc., you'd have to do it over and over again if the other players can't do it for themselves) for a long game like this isn't going to be fun from my perspective (David obviously disagrees with me!) and will lengthen the game as well.

I wouldn't play this with my six year old if he couldn't play for 3 hours and do the reading himself as there are other games with less demanding reading and shorter time lengths that would work better. When Oliver was 4, we started playing Talisman and he loved (and still loves) it -- if your child can manage a one hour game with shorter texts to read, then I'd go with Talisman for now.

all the best,

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice Robin. We're already playing Talisman (he is always the Ghoul), and he's usually able to finish the game. He usually heads straight for the inner region, so our games don't last too long (a surprisingly effective strategy...I have yet to beat him).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my children when they were too young to read, and it went well. If you are the only reader, you have to be content in a gamemaster role so the children can play. But if you have a second adult, or older child who can read well, the two readers always read paragraphs for each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
We're already playing Talisman (he is always the Ghoul), and he's usually able to finish the game. He usually heads straight for the inner region, so our games don't last too long (a surprisingly effective strategy...I have yet to beat him).

I used to play the Talisman Dungeon expansion as a standalone with the kids. That goes much faster than the full game, and they still find it entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Rettore
Italy
Riese Pio X (Treviso)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, I've just bought Prophecy at this purpose, naturally the Z-man edition.

I think that Arabian nights is too complex to translate & explain for children.

It's a pity, considering also that they will be able to read fluently english in ten years.....and the game will be out of stock cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only the old edition. This has a few pictures, but on 50 % of the cards the thing on the picture is not necessarily the thing you encounter. Many cards have no picture and a lot of text.

The best simplified game would probably be a sort of roleplaying game, i. e. you pick random events, make up a story which you tell your children, and let them make some decisions. TOTAN might give you some inspiration - just take some notes during the game which you play with adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akarabat wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I've just bought Prophecy at this purpose, naturally the Z-man edition.

I think that Arabian nights is too complex to translate & explain for children.

It's a pity, considering also that they will be able to read fluently english in ten years.....and the game will be out of stock cry

You could always get a copy now and store it away until they are "ready". A future birthday gift taken care of, and if you are right about it going out of print, it would be a game nobody else could get then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.