Popular Tags: [View All]
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Alexander is considered underpowered by many.

This thread summarizes the general feeling that Alexander is not quite so Great, after all.

See also the poll results here.

Over 77% of respondents thought he was not a strong leader (a close 2nd place from the bottom, after Homer). And a whopping 90% of respondents thought he was not versatile (by far the worst result among A leaders).

This is a shameful situation for one of the most brilliant generals of Antiquity. Here are some rules to tweak Alexander in order to restore to him the Greatness that is his due (he was probably undefeated in battle - and he spent almost all his life fighting).

You may implement any or all of the below:

We are talking about the master of the phalanx here. Thus, the moment a player puts Alexander into play, they can immediately search the military deck for a Phalanx tactics card, which they can then immediately play at no cost. Shuffle the deck afterwards. If there are no Phalanx cards in the military deck, one can be taken from the discard pile. After a Phalanx card is played in this manner, it may not later be changed until after Alexander leaves play.

Since we are still talking about the master of the Phalanx, each Phalanx commanded by Alexander adds an extra +1 to military strength. Just to clarify, this (like the rest of these rules) is in addition to Alexander's normal bonus.

Alexander had his legendary companion cavalry. This small, elite unit played a key role every time it engaged. We are talking about the first ever use of shock cavalry here. Therefore, as long as Alexander is in play, the first phalanx (which a player will automatically have, see above) does not need to have a cavalry unit present to qualify as a phalanx. In other words, a player with Alexander leader will qualify for a Phalanx bonus even if they have only two infantry in play. Note that this bonus only applies to the first phalanx; to qualify for any further bonuses for additional phalanxes, the player has to build the correct amount of cavalry units.

That's it. I would recommend using all three at the same time though nothing would prevent interested parties in adopting less than that.

With these additional rules, Alexander can truly be Great. Use them wisely, my friends, and go forth and conquer that pacifist Hammurabi (along with half the known world) like you are supposed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's a nice idea to strengthen what is arguably the worst leader, this is too strong.

Using all 3 of those options would allow a player to reach a turn 2 strength of 8 just taking and playing Alex and building an extra Warrior. (2 for the Warriors, + 2 for his original bonus, +3 for Phalanx, +1 for his Phalanx bonus).

Merely guaranteeing a Phalanx card might be enough as Alex's main weakness is a lack of cardflow vs Caesar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fault the premise.

Why was Alexander Great? Well, he was young and he almost never lost a fight (though he couldn't conquer Afghanistan except by marriage-but, who can?). Of course, having inherited the Macedonina phalanx, he got a boost.

That's all well and good but, TtA is not a wargame the game can be and often is won without a warleader. It's about long term civilization building.

Remember, Alexander didn't live long and neither did the empire he built. Given his failure to secure his succession or to control the dissension among his followers, there are some clear weaknesses to his rule and effectiveness as a historical leader.

Now, if someone wants to make a game that pits the historical leaders heads up (ie leadership traits and qualities with equivalent armies) that might be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camustafa wrote:
That's it. I would recommend using all three at the same time though nothing would prevent interested parties in adopting less than that.

I recommend the additional rule "Alexander wins."

After all, he ruled historically, so this is only realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I recommend the additional rule "Alexander wins."

After all, he ruled historically, so this is only realistic.

Oh sarcasm, what would the world do without you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
While it's a nice idea to strengthen what is arguably the worst leader, this is too strong.

Fair enough, you can take any one of these (or two) if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I fault the premise.

Why was Alexander Great? Well, he was young and he almost never lost a fight (though he couldn't conquer Afghanistan except by marriage-but, who can?). Of course, having inherited the Macedonina phalanx, he got a boost.

That's all well and good but, TtA is not a wargame the game can be and often is won without a warleader. It's about long term civilization building.

Remember, Alexander didn't live long and neither did the empire he built. Given his failure to secure his succession or to control the dissension among his followers, there are some clear weaknesses to his rule and effectiveness as a historical leader.

I am not sure I follow. If the worry is to reflect a lack of long-lasting legacy, then surely the answer is not to give him the weakest ability in the game.

Plus, his name and legend have endured through a very long period of time, which does not really make him that much different from most of the other leaders in the game. In fact, I would bet even today he is better known throughout the world than Barbarossa, Cook or Tesla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not one for tweaking rules, but I have to say that Alexander's lack of power bothers me. It doesn't seem right. It's the sort of situation that make me want to take him next time I play just so I can try to rectify the situation--but the last time I tried that (with Genghis) it wasn't pretty.

Alexander does have a long-lasting legacy, too. The resulting spread of Greek culture to the Near East had a huge impact on later history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
I'm not one for tweaking rules, but I have to say that Alexander's lack of power bothers me. It doesn't seem right. It's the sort of situation that make me want to take him next time I play just so I can try to rectify the situation--but the last time I tried that (with Genghis) it wasn't pretty.

Alexander does have a long-lasting legacy, too. The resulting spread of Greek culture to the Near East had a huge impact on later history.

So then a culture bonus would seem more appropriate, rather than a military bonus. And maybe you can only keep him in play for 3 turns or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Tang
msg tools
mb
How about just make him a kind of military Bach.
-1 science to discover military tech
-1 resource to build military unit
each unit generate +1 strength

This cannot be too powerful,
because in Age I, player don't get much science.
So the Alexander player is highly unlikely to discover more than 2 military tech.
Any thought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea with the free knight, it gives the players the option of not taking the knights technology which otherwise is very important. I would implement it differently though.

Instead of giving you a free knight, which is too strong, let the player build a maximum of one knight without the technology. What you do is that you put the yellow tpoken on alexander and when he dies the knight revert to the military unit of your choice of a type that you can build at the moment

Or a more elegant but less powerful solution: you may count one infantry as cavalry for the purpose of tactics.

I prefer solution number two, it fits his backgound as a master of tactics without beeing overly powerful and has an interesting effect in the game since it makes swordsmen a better technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chumchu2 wrote:
...you may count one infantry as cavalry for the purpose of tactics.

I like this idea. You still have to build the units and have a tactics card to get something from his bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
chumchu2 wrote:
...you may count one infantry as cavalry for the purpose of tactics.

I like this idea. You still have to build the units and have a tactics card to get something from his bonus.

I also like this idea, but the power is a bit erratic since it depends on drawing the right tactics cards. So I would suggest one more addition, if you can use one civil action at the end of your turn to draw one more military card. This will give you the ability to get more military cards on turns that you don't use all your actions. Note, your military card limit will still match your military actions and this power will not let you draw more than 3 military cards in any one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.