Subject: Boardgaming room, day by day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gameroom [+] Renovation [+] Gamingroom [+] [View All]
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally work begins tomorrow on the Boardgaming room

Our house is roughly 250 years old and as you can see rooms need a bit of TLC.

We are doing each room in turn, bedrooms, home cinema room, living room and bathroom done, Kitchen and dining room still to do.

Quite a bit of the old plaster will be removed tomorrow and hopefully the new plasterboard will start to go up.

As you can see the ceiling is being replaced as well, the holes are where we took a stud wall down to open the room up, an old attic beam is being replaced as well, it's sitting about 5cm lower than the others so the ceiling currently has a V shape to it.

Plasterboard ready to go!!

This old rubbish piece of carpet is being thrown and the old floorboards beneath replaced (note the odd looking floorboard and gaps in the floor, thats where an old staircase came up from downstairs around 40 years ago)

More pictures tomorrow evening when work has started, stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major projects like this are always really interesting.

Definitely going to be following the progress on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
250 year old house? Man, when they say "This Old House" these people really mean it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
My country isn't even that old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
250 year old house? Man, when they say "This Old House" these people really mean it...

No kidding, my house is about a 100 years old and I though that was ancient. We redid a bathroom and found gas lines for the gas lamps in the upstairs bedrooms. I thought that was cool. 250 years? Damn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have to ask, what comes up with a 250 year-old house?

a) plumbing...
b) do area historical societies give you crap? Like, here in Denver, if you tried to put vinyl windows in a house that was over 100 years old, they'd sue you and make you put in wood ones to be accurate to the period.
c) any other interesting things that come up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of it's age Tel's building is almost certainly a Listed Building (probably Grade II) and thus there would be restrictions on what can be done to it - although to be fair those restrictions do still offer a good amount of leniency. The restrictions on a Grade I building are much tighter.

A brief overview about the Listed Buildings policy and restrictions are here, for any interested:
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.001002004...
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.19378

I'm sure Tel's become very familiar with them if his new (old) house is listed!

The thing that gets my attention most from the photos is the height of the doors and ceilings; they seem considerably taller than one often finds in buildings of this period. (Being quite tall I notice this fact quite quickly upon entering!) I'm guessing it's a Georgian townhouse rather than a farmhouse or cottage...? The window seems smaller than I'd expect in that case though - so I'm curious to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In England a 250 year old house is old but not particularly ancient. A really old house would be 4-500 years.

My house is over 100 years old, heck almost all the houses on my street are over 100 years old.

I remember a tale from a university friend of mine who went to work in Camp America for the summer and people got on to talking about old buildings. The rest of the group who were all from America couldn't believe that she lived in a 350 year old house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
Because of it's age Tel's building is almost certainly a Listed Building (probably Grade II) and thus there would be restrictions on what can be done to it - although to be fair those restrictions do still offer a good amount of leniency. The restrictions on a Grade I building are much tighter.

A brief overview about the Listed Buildings policy and restrictions are here, for any interested:
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.001002004...
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.19378

I'm sure Tel's become very familiar with them if his new (old) house is listed!

The thing that gets my attention most from the photos is the height of the doors and ceilings; they seem considerably taller than one often finds in buildings of this period. (Being quite tall I notice this fact quite quickly upon entering!) I'm guessing it's a Georgian townhouse rather than a farmhouse or cottage...? The window seems smaller than I'd expect in that case though - so I'm curious to hear.

The house was apparently de-listed around 30 years ago when some (not great) modernising was done to the inside.

The outside walls were left alone (as you can see by the state of them) apart from where they put new windows in (the 30 year old wooden windows were there when we moved in, now replaced with modern windows.

The house used to be a row of 4 workers cottages, 1 room upstairs, 1 room downstairs.

This is it from the outside, our house on the right extending all the way along the top with our shop and post office underneath.

bippi wrote:

I have to ask, what comes up with a 250 year-old house?

a) plumbing...
b) do area historical societies give you crap? Like, here in Denver, if you tried to put vinyl windows in a house that was over 100 years old, they'd sue you and make you put in wood ones to be accurate to the period.
c) any other interesting things that come up?

a) The plumbing is all 30ish years old but being replaced with new as we do bathrooms etc, before that I think it was a case of outside toilets and no running water in the house surprise

b) As above, we are lucky that the house was de-listed, the house next door is still a listed building and even with various grants etc the old couple who live there wound never be able to afford to relace the windows etc. It's beginning to look a bit of a state.

c) 2 things spring to mind, up in the attic a few of the origional beams have been left, a couple of them are just tree branches. The other thing is finding horse hair in the walls!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:

c) 2 things spring to mind, up in the attic a few of the origional beams have been left, a couple of them are just tree branches. The other thing is finding horse hair in the walls!!

Better than finding manure in the walls. Like it was used in the walls of timber-frame houses. (Partly mixed in, not 100%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slight (!) change of plan.

The ceiling plasterboard has come down and the phrase 'Hey! I've got a good idea' was heard.

(Excuse the photo quality, i'll try to get a better one later)

Instead of taking that old center beam out and replacing it. Sonny (our builder) suggested turning it into a vaulted ceiling.

We all love the idea, only issue is i had all the lighting worked out for a flat ceiling and now it's back to the drawing board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

End of day 1

Off to the DIY shops now to check out lighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
That is like the biggest room I've ever seen in England.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaulted ceilings are fantastic. I envy you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't remove all the beams if they are not too low.
And use really good insulation. Heat rises up and without good insulation you won't be able to heat such a tall room efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topper Harley wrote:
I wouldn't remove all the beams if they are not too low.
And use really good insulation. Heat rises up and without good insulation you won't be able to heat such a tall room efficiently.

Yep, insulation was discussed today, the common rafters are being battened out a further 2 inches to A) Allow for thicker insulation material and B) to provide the space needed to safely put Spotlights in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not much happened today worth photographing.

Got all the network cable, Rj45 boots, ends and faceplates ordered for installing the wired network ports into the room (2 Dual modules - 4 ports, for my gaming computer, wifes work computer and 2 spare for Laptops)

Builder brought round all the insulating 'stuff' for the roof.

It's passed the 'Ozzy' inspection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This thread is fascinating.
I can't wait for the finished product. Keep them pictures comin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not a bad days work today.

The last of the old Beams are down.

The green cross beam in the middle is being left for the moment as we need to put the end of the ladder somewhere as we do the wiring for the lighting

New uprights in ready for the battens and plasterboard.

Same with the other side.

Found a company in the UK that makes custom poker tables, just having an e-mail chat with them about a custom boardgame table, as with everything else, i'll keep you posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tel999 wrote:

Found a company in the UK that makes custom poker tables, just having an e-mail chat with them about a custom boardgame table, as with everything else, i'll keep you posted.

Geek chiq or something like that does some really awesome game tables. The dicetower interviewed them at GENcon.

Are the green boards treated wood, or just painted that color?

Excuse me, origins. Not gencon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not much exciting today, the builder started on the insulation and we sorted out a bit of electrical wiring.

Second test started at Lord's so it was pretty much a TV day blush

I'll post a couple of piccys tomorrow, on the laptop at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back on computer quicker than expected

Insulation starting to go up,

Top beams ready for the meter or so of flat ceiling at the top.

Sometimes it looks and feels like nothing is happening on these projects, all the groundwork so to speak and i get some arghhh moments . Don't quote me but I think tomorrow could be a good day, plasterboard might be going up.

Of course, before the plasterboard go's up we need to make some final decisions on location of Electric sockets etc. Hopefully I can clear some floor space to chalk out positions of the desk's etc.

More, as usual, tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I'd ever have the patience or know-how to do anything like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thread :>
My dad is one of those DIY housefixer types, always working on some kind of project in his house, this summer it has been painting the kitchen, hall and one of the bedrooms, with alot more on the to-do list
He knows pretty much every corner of the house and how it's built, and luckily I've got a few of those DIY genes myself, so I'm hoping I'll be able to design and construct something as worthwhile as this sometime when I get my own place :>

Bookmarking this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I helped building (almost) two complete houses. My mother's and my brother's house. I never want to build another house in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.