Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I am looking into going to Dragon Con in Atlanta the first week in September for board gaming. I am just curious how many avid board gamers there will be there? I am not familiar with the convention, so I thought I would ask here. I am asking this because I don't really have any affection toward the other stuff showcased at the convention. I would primarily be there just for board games. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Wilz
United States
Bay St. Louis
MS
flag msg tools
It's a funny name
badge
I found this backstage, an over-sized hat, it's funny!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Cory,

My wife and I went to Dragon Con a few years ago (2004 I think).

There was a lot of board gaming there. While it was somewhat a side item, the convention is so large that there was always stuff for a board gamer to do. I bought Runebound there when it first came out and played it there. I also played Formula De and Attika as I recall. There was also a pretty big Settlers of Catan Tournament.

There is a pretty active board game scene in Atlanta, and I guess a lot of them go to Dragon Con. They were real nice and not at all clique-ish, too.

If you're not really intersted in the other Dragon Con stuff, you might wait for Atlanta Games Fest/Game day Atlanta (I think it's held in January, but there will probably be some Atlanta person who can tell you better.) . That's a smaller convention that the gaming group there holds, but it's just board gaming. My wife and I went there, too, and we had a lot of fun. I had more fun there than at Dragon Con, but my wife is really into more of the other stuff Dragon Con has to offer.

As a side note, since you live in Mississippi as do I. Our game group down here will be holding a two day gathering in September (Saturday and Sunday, with some possible stuff on Friday night if people want to organize it) in Gautier, Mississippi. The gathering will be about 60% wargamers playing Field of Glory, but I always have about 20-30 Eurogames on hand for our monthly game days, and I will probably have more for this larger event. I've been to Cleveland, so the trip is probably about as long as Atlanta. However, the convention will be much cheaper than Dragon Con, and it will be just gaming. Check out our guild on the Geek (Gulf Coast Gamers Club) or our web page www.gulfcoastgamersclub.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I will be in Starkville starting in August because I go to Mississippi State University. I think it is about the same distance though. What weekend in September? I will be glad to head down there and game with you guys. I am just trying to go to as many groups as I can. Where I am, there aren't any gamers. I am just wanting to actually play some good games with some good people who enjoy games as much, if not more, than myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Wilz
United States
Bay St. Louis
MS
flag msg tools
It's a funny name
badge
I found this backstage, an over-sized hat, it's funny!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to be doing the two day game day on Sept. 26th and 27th. It will be at the Gautier Convention Center in Gautier, Mississippi. Admission will be $5/day.

We don't have any hotels set aside or anything like that. In a week or two, I may try to blast an e-mail to the nearby users to try to see who might be interested. I'll keep you on my list of people to talk to.

No gamers at MSU? I find that kind of hard to believe. When I was there in the early 90s we had a role-playing club and a collectible card gaming club. I guess it's dried up some since then.

Best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwilz wrote:
No gamers at MSU? I find that kind of hard to believe.

If they are there, they do a good job hiding. When I was there, I found a lot of people who played MTG but not too much in the way of board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well with the addition of some pretty awesome Honors dorms, I have found some guys who play. Found a game designer who was a Residence Assistant and got 2 or 3 other guys hooked on the hobby. I am arranging a weekly gaming night in the dorms. I hope it goes over well. I only have about 15 or so games, so others will have to start buying if they want the selection to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.