Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know the correct way to pronounce Tsuro and if so, could you spell it out? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
My spidey sense tells me that the T is silent, so it's Soo-ro.
Edit: Not unlike tsunami.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Drew! You've confirmed my suspicion. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewdane wrote:
My spidey sense tells me that the T is silent, so it's Soo-ro.
Edit: Not unlike tsunami.

Hmm. I too pronounce it like "Tsunami", but disagree that the T is silent in either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
General Tso Chicken ----

I use the 't' as a kind of accent to force the rest of the word out in a "soup nazi" type of way.

So the 't' is kinda silent but it changes the way I'd say "suro" to stress the first syllable in a deep voice forcing my chin down and bringing a scowl to my face. I also tend to say the name more loudly than typical to. Draws attention though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Futza wrote:
Does anyone know the correct way to pronounce Tsuro and if so, could you spell it out?

Yes, and no. Yes, the "ts" is a voiceless alveolar affricate, and no, there's no other way to spell it.

"Voiceless alveolar affricate" means that you don't use your vocal cords, you start with your tongue on the little bump between your teeth and palette, and you make sound by forcing air through your mouth. Which is to say: touch the top of your mouth with your tongue the way you do when you say a "t." But then, instead of breathing out a "t," hiss like with an "s."

There's no other way to spell this because it's not an English phoneme, but a Japanese one (and also occurs in some other languages, e.g. the German "z" as in "zeit" and of course the Russian "tsar").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art building at Cornell is Tjaden ("jaden"). Some of us took to calling it Tuh-jaden, and one time someone relatively new to campus heard us and exclaimed "Oh! Thank you!" She had been confused for a while, never finding it on a campus map or directory, since she was looking under "J". Had no idea she had to look under "T".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
General Tso Chicken ----

I use the 't' as a kind of accent to force the rest of the word out in a "soup nazi" type of way.

So the 't' is kinda silent but it changes the way I'd say "suro" to stress the first syllable in a deep voice forcing my chin down and bringing a scowl to my face. I also tend to say the name more loudly than typical to. Draws attention though.

Kevin, can you take a pic of yourself saying it and post it so I know what to do?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Futza wrote:

Kevin, can you take a pic of yourself saying it and post it so I know what to do?
Thanks!

Tsuro!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Helms
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have pointed out already: No, the "T" is not silent.

The "tsu" not particularly difficult to pronounce though, and there are plenty of words in the English language that have exactly the same consonant effect in them -- it's just that in English, there's usually a vowel in front of the "ts." For example, consider the common pronunciation of Nazi, which might be rendered "nahtsee" (or maybe "natsi," if we were using the same transliteration rules that apply to Japanese). Or, come to think of it (since it rhymes), Yahtzee.

It's exactly the same sound that appears at the end of "chits" or "robots" or "wombats," etc. -- but without a vowel in front of it.

Try saying "Get Suro" -- and then drop the "Ge." You'll see, the "ts" isn't at all hard to pronounce.

In fact, the real pronunciation problem here (for Americans) is the "R" -- because the Japanese "R" is really very different from the American/English "R." Most Americans who heard a native Japanese say "tsuro" would probably think that the "R" was a soft "D" -- or maybe even an "L."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Most Americans who heard a native Japanese say "tsuro" would probably think that the "R" was a soft "D"

Uh... that would make it Tsurd, if I'm not mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Helms
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
Quote:
Most Americans who heard a native Japanese say "tsuro" would probably think that the "R" was a soft "D"

No -- that would make it "Tsudo."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My bad... one of those "where is your mind at" moments I guess. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Helms
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[AFTERTHOUGHT]: ...or "Tsulo," depending on both the speaker's particular pronunciation and the listener's perception.

But as I mentioned, hearing it as either "Tsudo" or "Tsulo" is a product of the difference between the Japanese "R" and the American/English "R."

It is, in fact, exactly what it says: "Tsuro."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Helms
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
Quote:

My bad... one of those "where is your mind at" moments I guess. shake

Entirely understandable. It's not even noon yet. No one can be expected to perform at 100% efficiency before noon. That's just uncivilized.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:

That's abtsurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.