Popular Tags: [View All]
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm going to have a bit of time away from my regular gaming partner coming up soon, and I'm looking for a solid, heavy solitaire experience to enjoy during that time. I'm mostly a medium to heavy euro gamer, but I have played and enjoyed some "crossover" war games, and have been thinking about getting my feet wet with something a little meatier in the war game dept.

Solitaire games I already own/aren't what I'm looking for-
-Race for the Galaxy (I like playing against the robot OK, I guess, but not exactly what I'm looking for, and too short- not satisfying enough)
-Agricola (A little fun the first few times, but I don't really want a game where the objective is bettering your previous high score)
-Arkham Horror (I might play a solo game of this or two, but it is my regular partners favorite game, so I will probably just wait till she gets back into town)
-Pocket Civ- (A lot of fun the first few times, but not incredibly replayable after you learn the tech tree... not really looking for another print and play either)

Games I've been considering/are on my radar-
-Ghost Stories- I like that this is a cooperative game I could play with others too, but at its heart is also a good solo game. Might be too much of a "puzzle" though, and not ultimately the deep solo experience I'm looking for.
-Roads and Boats- Obviously deterred by the cost, but I do love a good civ building game. Antiquity is another favorite of mine, so I could see myself really liking this one, but then again, I don't like the "just beat your previous high score" condition.
-Field Commander: Alexander- I feel like I could get into the theme of an ancients war game more easily than WWII, etc. This has gotten some positive comments, but still seems to be only rated by a very small number of users- I like the idea of an extended campaign that I could devote a few hours to every other evening, with incremental rewards, but also a developing story that carries through.
-Silent War- this looks cool for the reasons above, but might be TOO long of a campaign, and might also be a rough gateway into war gaming?
-Fields of Fire- am heavily considering this- it looks to the long, engrossing game I might be looking for, and I do love a card driven game (War of the Ring, Twilight Struggle, 1960). Still, I'm concerned this might be a harsh introduction to the world of war gaming, considering all the complaints about horrible rules, etc. Opinions on this game are especially polarizing based on the comments-- based on the other games I've rated highly, do you think I would like it?

Any comments on the above games, or recommendations for games I may have overlooked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:
-Field Commander: Alexander- I feel like I could get into the theme of an ancients war game more easily than WWII, etc. This has gotten some positive comments, but still seems to be only rated by a very small number of users- I like the idea of an extended campaign that I could devote a few hours to every other evening, with incremental rewards, but also a developing story that carries through.
-Silent War- this looks cool for the reasons above, but might be TOO long of a campaign, and might also be a rough gateway into war gaming?

There's still Field Commander: Rommel, or maybe The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Vanished Planet

Like Ghost Stories, it's a coop that you can play with others, but also plays solo. Not sure if it's heavy enough for you, but thought I would toss it out there. It feels a bit like Settlers of Catan in space... you explore space, getting resources, and from those resources build equipment that you need to fight against the thing trying to destroy your planet. The event cards mix things up a bit, and, like Pandemic, you can control the difficulty by how many of a certain card you shuffle into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Schemenaur
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
D-Day at Omaha Beach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses!

Umm, I guess I'm looking for something that I could complete with no more than 2 hours a night over a period of say, 2 weeks.

I guess I should have also clarified that it's important that the game is currently in print (which rules out Peloponesian War, I think).

Vanished Planet sounds cool, but I'm worried it might be too light? The comparison to Pandemic/Catan kind of worries me on that count.

Could someone rundown pros and cons of Field Commander Alexander vs. Rommel? How about a comparison to Fields of Fire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give Fields of Fire a solid recommendation. Deep, engrossing, and somewhat unique in its presentation and design compared to other war games I have played. You also get three different theaters of operation to run scenarios from (WWII, Korea, and Vietnam) which adds variety and good replay value.

I would also consider giving Silent War a second look. A short scenario with a single historic patrol will run you around 1 hour while a short campaign (34 & 51 turns are two examples) will run somewhere from 20-30+ hours. The full campaign (178 turns) would run somewhere around and over 125 hours!

If you can find a copy, as it is out of print, Magic Realm is an excellent solo experience and very good game.

If you have an interest in hex and counter war games I would recommend checking out Red Storm over the Reich from Compass Games. I find the historic scenario well suited for solo play.

I hope you find the right game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far a solitaire games, I've got my eye on the upcoming Struggle for the Galactic Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of fire is really hard but if you get it and have the patience for it, it is a unique experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I give a big thumbs up to Roads & Boats, but you may have the same problem with this as you have with Agricola. The game is a real puzzler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
My recommendation would be AMBUSH. Excellent solo WWII game.

Games I enjoy playing solitaire -- and they probably are not heavy enough for you -- are ON THE UNDERGROUND and PARIS PARIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite solitaire game right now is Silverton, so if you have any love for train games or economic games I'd look into it. Boards and Bits has it in their Free Shipping category since it's a Mayfair game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried or thought about Le Havre? I think it is better than Agricola solo, or with multiple players for that matter.

Age of Steam is another heavy game that has solo play options. I would think Steam would also be able to be played solo.

Ghost Stories is a most rewarding game to play solo because victory is very difficult.

Best of luck
JP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game has an official solo variant and is a decent solo game. Good theme, plays in about 3 hrs, feels like an epic campaign. Not the same as multiplayer without the traitor aspect of the game, but difficult to juggle all the roles with only one character, always on the brink of failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
bleakgeek wrote:

What do you consider TOO long of a campaign? Because for me the charm of solitaire is there is never TOO long a campaign. My recommendation would be RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940, which you have probably heard of.

I second that - the greatest solitaire game ever invented - it doesn't even feel as though it is solitaire - it just feels that your opponent is refusing to talk to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Silent War would be a good fit. If (like me) you don't have a table where you can leave it set up for months at a time for a campaign game, then you might consider the Vassal or Cyberboard module -- just save and come back.

Others that weren't on your list that you might consider are B-29 Superfortress which is patterned after B-17: Queen of the Skies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the votes on:

RAF
Silent War
D-Day at Omaha Beach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.