Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lawton
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for any recommendations for a fantasy (it's got to be fantasy) based wargame that emulates or is very similar to the old console video games like Warsong for the Saga Genesis of Final Fantasy Tactics for the Super Nintendo. Anyone know of a board game that matches that criteria?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Murphy
United States
Biloxi
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordheim: City of the Damned or Necromunda would be the closest thing that I can think of.

Both games involve small groups (Less than 10 characters per side is typical, IIRC) that can gain experience and develop their skills and abilities between a series of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lawton
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmurphy wrote:
Mordheim: City of the Damned or Necromunda would be the closest thing that I can think of.

Both games involve small groups (Less than 10 characters per side is typical, IIRC) that can gain experience and develop their skills and abilities between a series of scenarios.

surprise oooh Mordheim: City of the Damned looks interesting... and its free (okay the rules are anyway). I'll take a deeper look into it. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, just maybe Titan could scratch (part of) that itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall FFT being released on Super Nintendo. That being said, I felt that the grid based combat of Descent: Journeys in the Dark was very similar to FFT with the exception of height being taken into consideration. I also felt that Descent is too long and requires too much effort when I could just play a strategy RPG video game instead which would also have story elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan definitely has a feel along those lines, but it's more Ogre Battle than FFT or Warsong. The way monsters are recruited along a branching path is very much like both those games though.

Warcraft (not to be confused with WoW or the Adventure Game) WITH it's expansion, does a good job of giving you different kinds of units let by a hero with unique abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie is good for FFT reminiscing. It even has 3-D terrain! Descent: Journeys in the Dark is also good, but Heroscape really plays like an affordable minis game (which is what FFT plays like).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.