Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hardy Pinto
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no better way to describe Red November. Life Stinks. Period.

This game is about saving a ship (in this case a sub) who does not want to be saved. Every minute a new disgrace appears. When you get rid of one bad event, worst ones appears.

Presentation

The game is presented in one of those FFG small boxes. I find these boxes wonderful because they can hold so much goodness, it makes the game even more impressive. A nice sturdy board, tons of counters, a beautiful card deck and those gnome miniatures help to make unpacking a marvelous experience.

Of course, after the first impressions wear out, you realize some side effects of the small box. The cards are way small. Not that they are hard to play, perhaps just a little hard to shuffle. It is just that after you begin playing, you start feeling a giant playing kid size toys.

Another point I didn't like about the components are the counters. They are made of a sturdy cardboard that gives them a solid appearance. But that makes them occupy lots of space in the small box. Repacking everything is a challenge, specially for me, who likes everything separated in small zip bags.

Game Play

After the first two or three rounds to adjust to the rules and get used to the counters, the game flows nicely. The timing system works and I can say it even helps coordinating who does what.

Some information is not clear in the manual, so I recommend reading the FAQ before the first game. It helps a lot clarifying the rules.

This game is not one that will see my table every meeting. The succession of events makes the players loose a lot of moral and by mid game feel pessimistic about it. It is a relief when you finally get to the last 10 minutes.

Final Remarks

Don't get me wrong. It is not because I said that it will not see my table very often that it is not a good game. It is a GREAT game. It is only its pessimistic mood that makes me play it less often than Bang or Puerto Rico.

The components are impressive for such a small box and it is a great way to find the natural leaders in your group.

My final word: Have it in your collection. Even if you don't play it very often, it is good material!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November is certainly a fun little game, but once in a while there will be something about a game that will bug me so much that I won't play very often. In this case it is the warped board. It can be easily enough fixed by settin stacks of quarters on it to wieght it down, but it just bugs me enough to not want to get it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! I have won and lost many games. I even enjoy playing it solo.

But every once in awhile I need to put it away before it drives me crazy. Some days you are just not meant to win. Every game I've won has been close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does the game IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.