Subject: Why would you ever Pass with a unit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just fight if you aren't going to retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One case might be if it's the last turn before the end of the year, and you've been attacked by a noble whose home is under your control. You don't want him all mangled and broken if he's about to see the wisdom of joining your side anyway...

That said, I don't think I've ever passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
A related rules question...

If a Noble has to retreat due to a failed attack (>3 rounds), but has no area to retreat to, does it convert at strength 1 or its current strength?

If it converts at its current strength, that's another situation where passing is a good idea -- all non-Noble units will die anyway, and you don't want to mangle your shiny new Nobles.

Cheers,
PP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PseudoPserious wrote:
If a Noble has to retreat due to a failed attack (>3 rounds), but has no area to retreat to, does it convert at strength 1 or its current strength?

Since he is eliminated first, I believe he converts at strengh 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ullmann
Germany
Alteglofsheim
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've just looked it up in the rules. It's stated explicitly that nobles convert at 1 SP when eliminated. And not being able to retreat does eliminate a unit, so no question here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would pass to instill doubts about your own sanity in your opponent, prompting him/her to reevaluate all of their plans as your rationality can no longer be relied upon.

That's why I would do it, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was on the last phase of battle on the last round I would consider passing if I had control of an area and didn't forsee losing it.

Say I had control of Buchan with two English infantry. On another part of the board it's round 2 of a combat in Mentieth where a Scots controlled Buchan and two other blocks moved in to try and seize it. My blocks in Mentieth are holding well. I decide not to attack with my C's and B's (in round 3) because I am pretty sure I am going to have control of Buchan at the end of the 5th round. By not attacking my opponent can't reduce Buchan's strength so I get a strength 3 Buchan during the Wintering round.

edited for clarity (misunderstood the post at first)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter White
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
kuhrusty wrote:
One case might be if it's the last turn before the end of the year, and you've been attacked by a noble whose home is under your control. You don't want him all mangled and broken if he's about to see the wisdom of joining your side anyway...

Astute point. Yes, that makes sense.

In fact, suicide runs with strong nobles that will flip in winter is a pretty standard tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.