Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an opportunity to buy a shrinkwrapped copy of SITS as well as copies of the Manticore and Haven ship books, but the owner does not know if it is version 2.0 or the original. Is there a way to tell from the box? How about the ship books, is there a good way to figure them out as well?

I'll probably purchase it anyway, but I'd like to know if I should order the 2.0 upgrade kit as well so I can get to playing as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nell
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe there's way to tell without opening the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Barring an official reply, I've decided to go ahead and buy the copy that's available. If I end up having to buy the upgrade kit I've still saved money over all. The only thing it will really cost me is the time waiting for the updates to show up so i can learn the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Games
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was answered on the Ad Astra Forum in a few parts:

We haven't sold a 1st edition since May of 2007; the odds are good that it's a 2nd ed box.

The box itself will have a SITS 2.0 or Second Edition sticker on at least one of the sides, and probably two to indicate it.

If you'd like us to contact the store and work something out, please email me directly with the store info. We have no problems sending a 2.0 upgrade kit to a store for a copy that's been sitting on the shelf for three years, and I've got an upgrade kit in the bin next to my computer that I can just mail out.

Quote:
Thanks Ken. Great customer service as usual.

I'm not purchasing the game from a store, but rather from the boardgamegeek marketplace. Apparently the owner got the game (as well as the Manticore and Haven books) in a drawing sometime in late 2007 or so and never actually played the game. He's going to check for the 2nd edition sticker when he gets home today. I'm actually getting a good deal for the whole lot, so even if I have to buy the upgrade pack I'll be saving money. I appreciate the offer, but I certainly don't mind getting some money your way for all you do for the scifi boardgaming crowd.

If he's willing to open the box, have him look for laminated play aid cards with the AVID on them.

If there are 8, and they're all half page cards, it's 1st ed.
If there are 9 and they're all 1/3 page cards, it's 2nd ed.

Quote:
That was what we needed. The box did not have a 2nd Edition sticker on it, but the contents seem to confirm that it is indeed a 2nd Edition set. Looks like I don't need the update kit, which means I'll probably be ordering Shipbook 2 in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.