PORTLAND OREGON.

Views from the Eastside Esplanade:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/515472

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/515471

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/515469

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/515468

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/515467

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/515465

But the best part about this city is the following picture of my D&D group. Hanging out, drinking and just generally being cool:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/515473

I love this town and I love my friends.

Live on geeks and love on geeks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be jealous if I didn't happen to live about 2 miles East of where you took those photos.

It can be a pretty city. I've been very happy here for the past 18 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice shots. When were these taken? It sure wasn't today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I would be jealous if I didn't happen to live about 2 miles East of where you took those photos.

It can be a pretty city. I've been very happy here for the past 18 years.

I live up around 28th and Holgate. In "The Warren". Otherwise known as
Wimbledon Square apartments.

I grew up here, relatively speaking. I was born in Hillsboro and grew up in Forest Grove. I am now a proud resident of Southeast Portland. I don't like to venture North of Broadway seeing as that is the Hinterlands, as I see it... That way lie dragons so I hear... Best not to seek that which you wish not to encounter...

Erniepaul, these shots were taken about two months ago or so.

The final shot was from an apartment around 20th and Salmon.

The girl on the left is my wonderful woman, known here as Zorazen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
I live up around 28th and Holgate. In "The Warren". Otherwise known as Wimbledon Square apartments.

...I don't like to venture North of Broadway seeing as that is the Hinterlands, as I see it.
Well thank goodness I'm not in the hinterlands, but I'm close. I'm just down Holgate then up 39th to Hassalo (a few blocks South of Broadway). If you don't mind losing to a 6 year old, you & Zora can come over for drinks and eurogames some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to look down on Portland, but that was because I lived on Mt. Hood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, but was it necessary to make it a 20+ MB page load?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's MY town .. Jealous!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, I would love to live in Portland. Maybe in the Hawthorne district?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikku wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Martino
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live in Eugene, Oregon. Now I live in Wausau, Wisconsin. Does this mean I fail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mrs MusedFable wrote:
I used to live in Eugene, Oregon. Now I live in Wausau, Wisconsin. Does this mean I fail?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but there HAS to be better pictures of Portland then steel girder bridges. Some of the shots are dark, One I thought was a bunch of warehouses on the water actually (at closer inspection) appears to just be a building with some greenery around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Nikku wrote:

Yes.

Actually, what I was trying to say in a conversational way that it was, as a matter of fact, not necessary to post multiple 3+ MB pictures on a single page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but there HAS to be better pictures of Portland then steel girder bridges. Some of the shots are dark, One I thought was a bunch of warehouses on the water actually (at closer inspection) appears to just be a building with some greenery around it.
Nope. That's what Portland looks like: underexposed buildings and bridges.

Oh, and a mountain or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but there HAS to be better pictures of Portland then steel girder bridges.

Nope, its all just one gigantic underexposed industrial waterfront.

I'm just being cheeky, but really, what's in these pics that I couldn't see in any American city near water?

I could toss in a bunch of pics of Pittsburgh, Toledo, Detroit, etc, and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

What you're not understanding is that Portland is a city of bridges. In the actual city limits there are at least 12 major bridges. I'm probably forgetting some railroad bridges and it's entirely possible there are more that I don't even know about.
It's not uncommon for businesses to have the nickname "Bridgetown such and such".

For example a fine game store here is called "Bridgetown Hobbies and Games".

So, to imply that pictures of steel girder bridges are not good pictures of Portland shows some ignorance of what Portland IS.

Here are a couple of pictures from Wikipedia showing the heart of the city with it's most famous bridges:

And if you think that pictures taken during sunset are too dark for you, well, I don't know what to tell you. I've never claimed to be a fantastic photographer.

I will refer you to an actual photographer so you can have a better idea of what you're looking at. Please visit http://www.portlandbridges.com/ for some great pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikku wrote:
Nazhuret wrote:
Nikku wrote:

Yes.

Actually, what I was trying to say in a conversational way that it was, as a matter of fact, not necessary to post multiple 3+ MB pictures on a single page.

What I'm trying to say in a non-conversational way is that you're wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but there HAS to be better pictures of Portland then steel girder bridges.

Nope, its all just one gigantic underexposed industrial waterfront.

I'm just being cheeky, but really, what's in these pics that I couldn't see in any American city near water?

I could toss in a bunch of pics of Pittsburgh, Toledo, Detroit, etc, and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

The difference is that those places suck.
(well, you could argue Pittsburgh seems to be pretty nice, I guess)

Don't like Portland? Don't visit. There's already way too damn many transplants from out of state here as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

What you're not understanding is that Portland is a city of bridges. In the actual city limits there are at least 12 major bridges. I'm probably forgetting some railroad bridges and it's entirely possible there are more that I don't even know about.
It's not uncommon for businesses to have the nickname "Bridgetown such and such".

For example a fine game store here is called "Bridgetown Hobbies and Games".

So, to imply that pictures of steel girder bridges are not good pictures of Portland shows some ignorance of what Portland IS.

You're right, I don't know much about Portland at all. My point was that steel girder bridges just doesn't say "come visit us, this is a happening place to visit" usually parks, and historic buildings, and massive landmarks do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Nikku wrote:
Nazhuret wrote:
Nikku wrote:

Yes.

What I'm trying to say in a non-conversational way is that you're wrong.

Ok this is where I miss the thumbs down and straight out calling you a jerk.

You could've used the "insert BGG image" instead of the "insert external image". You could've even scaled the pictures down (before uploading) to a more friendly size without losing too much quality.

thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Schoonaarde (Dendermonde)
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Have a Dikke Knuffel (A Big Hug for you non dutch speaking people :) )
badge
Stepping out on the road is a dangerous business. You have to keep your feet under you, or before you know it you'll be swept off to who knows where!
mbmbmb
No I'm not jealous, that's because I live here :

http://images.google.be/images?q=ghent

I'll just link to the google images because that's easier then uploading all beautiful images from Ghent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikku wrote:

You could've used the "insert BGG image" instead of the "insert external image". You could've even scaled the pictures down (before uploading) to a more friendly size without losing too much quality.

I could have done any number of things.

What I chose to do was link to the images so that they could be viewed in as large a format as possible in this thread. Why did I do that? Was it to irritate people with shitty internet connections? Was it to annoy people that can't stand to wait another ten seconds while some images load?

No, it was simply because I wanted to display some cool pictures I took with my girlfriend while on a bike ride through the city that I live in and enjoy so much.

It seems odd to me that you would have enough of a problem with the way I chose to display pictures in this thread that nobody forced you to click on for you to come in here THREE SEPARATE TIMES for no other reason than to bitch and moan about how the pictures are too big.

If viewing this thread is such a pain in the ass for you then I wonder what the fuck you keep coming back for?

I simply meant to share some good feelings I had about my day and the town I live in with people. If you have enjoyed sticking around here and calling me names then I suppose I've done my job.

I am glad to have provided you with this entertainment. Your enjoyment has, I'm sure, made this a much more pleasant thread for others to read as well.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR COMING!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.