United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little lost on "Named" It seems that in both Wishing Well, and Tribute it is used differently.

In wishing well it seems that you have to name the exact card (Mining villiage, copper, etc)

Where as the example for Tribune seems to indicate that if a copper and a silver are flipped, you just get the "treasure" bonuse, not 2 treasure bonuses.

I understand that cards that are split give both bonuses, and I also understand that 2 coppers, two estates, etc just give their appropraite bonuses once.

I guess it comes down to what is NAME in this game. Type of card, or actual NAME of the card at the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
? It's not used differently at all. Name = card name.

Wishing well, you name a card. "Swindler", "Scout", "Gold", whatever. If that turns up, you get it.

Tribute gives you stuff for each different name. You turn up a "Copper" and a "Silver", they are differently named, so each gives you 2 coins, 4 in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Russell
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see where you're coming from and how this might be confusing. For Wishing Well, the player is the one doing the naming (i.e. guessing what the next card may be); name functions as a verb here.

For Tribute, the cards are flipped and discarded first. Then, the card refers to "differently named" cards; here "named" functions as an adjective. Thus, the naming here is not "divining" or "guessing" but simply a designator that implies items (cards) individually titled for differentiation (no action necessary on the player; the cards are already "named"). Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
tonetonitonyrussell wrote:
Hope that helps.

Not quite. I guess I'm just making sure, for Tribute for sure, that so long as the card names are NOT the same you the the bonuses for each card.

Ex: Opponent flips a village, and a mine so I would get the bonus for when action cards are flipped, twice (cause they have different names). But if it is two villages, then you only get it once since the names are not different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sasquatchdjh wrote:
tonetonitonyrussell wrote:
Hope that helps.

Not quite. I guess I'm just making sure, for Tribute for sure, that so long as the card names are NOT the same you the the bonuses for each card.

Ex: Opponent flips a village, and a mine so I would get the bonus for when action cards are flipped, twice (cause they have different names). But if it is two villages, then you only get it once since the names are not different.

Yes, you get the bonus twice for Village/Mine, but once for Village/Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Russell
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the OP for raising this one, and others for the responses.

An observation/question: is it only me who gets the rule/intrepretation right the first few times and then completely ignores it in later games.

Tribute is a classic example where we had played and received the benefit based on each different card name (and not type), only to later "short cut" the analysis and look straight to the "type". whistle

Lesson for self: there is no reason not to occassionally go back and re-read the card/rules and challenge what you think it says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just giving the official answer here, but the players have already correctly answered the OP.

Tribute looks for cards with different names (Copper and Silver are different) and you could get the bonus twice for the same type (two different Treasures would get you + 4 coin).

Valerie Putman
They Might Be Developers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.