Popular Tags: [View All]
John Douglass
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Brass solo through a 3 player game to learn the rules. But even only with this limited experience, I am really excited to explore and play this game further.

I found the components of the game good quality, but I was bit disappointed in the supplied plain plastic coins. I had looked at using other coins or poker chips, but never found anything I liked. I finally thought it might be neat to use images of real coins from the 18th century (or near it) and then sticker these to the plastic coins supplied with the game. I am happy with the result, but I know that the creative genius of the geek will likely choose to come up with much better versions of this idea. Here are the pictures:

If you are interested in printing the file I used on full label sticker paper, the file is waiting acceptance under the file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
I really like those! Come play with us online!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Maxwell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Kontor that Counting Office!
badge
Kontor that Counting Office!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those really do look great. My main complaint about the coins, though, is that they are too thin to easily distinguish the gold from silver by their edge. This sounds incredibly trivial, I know, but considering how often you have to count stacks of coins to determine player order, it actually does hinder play.

A nice thick poker chip with those stickers -- now that would be fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishpeddler wrote:
Those really do look great. My main complaint about the coins, though, is that they are too thin to easily distinguish the gold from silver by their edge. This sounds incredibly trivial, I know, but considering how often you have to count stacks of coins to determine player order, it actually does hinder play.

A nice thick poker chip with those stickers -- now that would be fantastic.

Why put them in stacks? You could lay them overlapping instead of a true stack.

But I appreciate Brass's effort to make the coins more like real coins/poker chips and less like paper money or teeny tiny cardboard counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gatheral
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a problem with the supplied Brass coins as well. I have started using the better quality Steam coins but yearn for a more permanent solution. I even considered buying a die cutter and making my own from cardboard but couldn't find a suitable cutter. I have read about the mini poker chips from meeple people but I am a bit put off by the colourful look of the chips.

Interestingly I have heard a rumour that Treefrog is considering making a set of non paper money that could be used in all of it's games. I am waiting to hear more.

I like the solution in this photo and will consider doing the same in the meantime. Thanks.

DG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.