Subject: More siege and sally questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking that I understood these rules pretty well, playing my first game has made me think otherwise.

This is about Siege and Sallying.

1) It is written in the rules, that if not besieged, defenders in a castle may sally. But then it says, the sallying units can attack the besieging units. How can there be besieging units if the castle is not being besieged? I must be missing something.

2) If an attacker declares storming, and then in a following combat turn (maybe even the first) do not actually attack with any units, eg they remain in the field, do the defenders in the castle just attack the enemy units in the field without being attacked back? Also, in this case, if the defending units sally, do they become attackers for the remainder of the battle?

3) It would seem that having a unit with a battle-rating of C defending a castle is very powerful, if the besieger does not have C-units. Under a Storm or Siege, the defending C-unit can sally out as last thing in a combat, and force the entire enemy force to retreat, thereby breaking the Siege. Is this really true?

Thanks a lot for any help.
The Siege rules could really need some clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sieging rules are a little tricky at first...

1. If there are no besiegers then there is no siege - so sallying (or any other siege rule) is not an option. Can you say where you read that?

2. If the attacker declares that he is storming and sends no units to storm then, I would say that, they have decided not to storm - the attackers would therefore remain/withdraw to the field and the defender then has the option to sally.

At the start of a combat turn where the attacker has been storming in the previous combat turn, the attacker has the choice of continuing to storm (he is able to swap blocks in from reserve if he wishes) or withdrawing to the field. If they withdraw then the defender can choose to sally.

Storming combat only occurs between the storming units and those in the castle - attackers which exceed the storming maximum remain in reserve and are unaffected that turn - they cannot take hits or fire.

3. Sallying is declared at the beginning of a combat turn. All sallying units are put into the field and combat is resolved normally with A units firing first. All besieging units will therefore be able to fire before a sallying C unit.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick replies!!
Thanks to both of you.

I think that what I didnt get, was that at the beginning of each combat round, the attacker first has to declare whether the round will be a Storm or not. I thought it was per-unit based. Also, I think I got 7.33 wrong.

So, lets say that after a Storm in the first combat round of a Siege, in the Second combat round, Player 1 declares that he will Siege (no Storm), then Player 2 declares a Sally, and immediately becomes the Attacker for that Combat Round. In Third combat round Player 2 is still Attacker, if not managing to wipe out, or forcing the retreat of, Player 1's units, Player 1 gets the 4th combat round before Player 2 can retreat into the castle, or to another friendly city, right?

A final thing: If you decide to retreat your Storming units, can they retreat to another city, or only into the Field?

Cheers, and thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am certainly not giving up yet.
Despite these problems, we still had a fun game, and I am eager to play this one more. It IS my first and only Columbia Game so far, but have tried Hammer of the Scots, which is great.

I think its just to come up with rules that can be agreed on for Crusader, then its really not so complicated.

With the help you have provided here, I think (and hope) that there are no much left for me to be unsure about.

But I do see now the advantage of using any one of the Siege "battle boards" that have been poster here on the Crusader site. They should make it far simpler to know what's going on during any given siege.

Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.