Richard Weir
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the last game of Automobile I played I collected the R and D cubes off Kettering and used my 3 actions to collect more cubes in the first turn. In the second I took Crysler and went last on the first action round I placed dealers on the second I built on Hupmobile and on the third I produced cars. This factory was never superceded and continued to produce 14 cars with a parts factory for the remaining two turns.

I the final scoring I came up around 500 dollars behind a player who had done the same on the model T space.

This came down to the way that this game developed. His first build was producing cars into the last turn and after the mid priced cars dipped in demand not another mid priced spot was built on until the last round by me hence he only received one set of loss cubes.

In most games however I suspect that producing cars in the first turn invites losses from factory closure and superceding. In short the money he won by was not gained in the first round but rather short selling his cars in the 3rd where I was unable to sell 5 $100 cars while he produced mid priced cars and was never challanged.

There were five players in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true you don't make much in the first turn but as long as you don't keep your factories open too long it is greater than zero.

Even the lowly Duryea will yield $140 profit if you produce 3 cars (-210), sell them (+450), then close the factory during executive decisions (-100). If you are worried you won't get the chance to close it in executive decisions you can use your third action to close it. This is worst case scenario. In my most recent game I chose Durant, made $140 off the Duryea factory, closing it in executive decisions, as well as $300 off a double National 40 factory. The National 40 was my most profitable factory, earning me $990 over the course of the game (including losses, mitigated by Chrysler and Sloan).

I think you can do a lot better than skipping turn one to take R&D cubes. You have to remember that, even though old factories generate losses, they also generate profits by producing cars. You produced a maximum of 9 budget cars over turns one and two ($450 profit) while the other players likely had 2-3 factories going each on turn two as well as everything they sold on turn one. To make matters worse, you failed to crowd the market, giving them free rein to produce their maximums.

I am starting to think closing old factories and opening cutting edge brands frequently may be wise but I think not building at all in turn one is a big mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To make matters worse, you failed to crowd the market, giving them free rein to produce their maximums.

This, I think, is the biggest element people miss in efforts to avoid "head-on" tactics. How many cars would not have been sold by other players, had you competed against them in the demand markets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true that if you strictly produce low-price or high-price cars in the first round, you do not make much profit (exception would be Howard managing a monopoly on high-price cars with two distributors and 4 cars). In my last few games, I have stuck with mid-price cars.

In my most recent game, I sold $900 worth of mid-price cars in the first round due to two other players spending their resources in the low and high price markets.

Mid-price cars are far too profitable to ignore. I usually keep my starting factory producing until the end of round 3. The profits usually far outweigh the losses, but this would depend on the number of cars you are able to sell each turn and how many other factories are in the same market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
By my calculation, after all your cube harvesting, you still only had 14 R&D cubes, one shy of making a five space model jump. So you could have taken cubes on only one action during the first turn, used the other two actions to build factories and produce cars, and still (after passing early in the Executive Actions, so you could guarantee taking either Chrysler or Kettering in the second round) have the 10 cubes you need for a four space jump. That should give you at least a small profit and allow you to put some more pressure on your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that in this case (the Model T not being significantly superceeded) the other players were missing a trick. Building a mid price factory further along the tech curve puts loss cubes on all the players with mid priced plants. In the games I play it is not uncommon for a backward plant to collect 4 or 5 cubes in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
I suspect that in this case (the Model T not being significantly superceeded) the other players were missing a trick. Building a mid price factory further along the tech curve puts loss cubes on all the players with mid priced plants. In the games I play it is not uncommon for a backward plant to collect 4 or 5 cubes in one turn.

No, no, he said he built Hupmobile on Turn Two, which was never superceded. That is very common in my games--the next budget doesn't come out until about 7 models later, Ford Model A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of nothing (well, nothing I've seen seriously suggested) I'd like more than an opponent who didn't build a factory and didn't produce cars in the first round.

And I don't plan to close that factory - whatever it is - in turn one, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weir
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can see all the benifits of producing 1st turn as you have mentioned ie demand, profit etc......

However if you put them to one side and ask

Is it normal for the Maxwell to attract one lose cube during a game which has five players.

I would think not.

However that being said I could have built a mid priced factory that may or may not have been superceded in the 3rd round by any of the five players instead of seeing a opening in the 4th round when it was clear every one else was letting it go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richardweir wrote:
I can see all the benifits of producing 1st turn as you have mentioned ie demand, profit etc......

Is it normal for the Maxwell to attract one lose cube during a game which has five players.

I would think not.

You are going to get loss cubes for your early factories. There is no way to avoid that, even in 3p games. The point is that the losses are way more than offset by the profits the factories generate. You spent the entire first turn generating zero profit. Read Daniel Corban's post. He had one game where he sold $900 worth of cars in turn one. That's $480 profit, or $600 if they were produced with a parts factory. You would have to get 5-6 loss cubes and never discard a single one for the rest of the game for that not to be worth it. And that's not to mention the potential for profit those factories would have on turn two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weir
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
[q="richardweir"]I can see all the benifits of producing 1st turn as you have mentioned ie demand, profit etc......

Yes 900 is good for the first turn and nearly convinces me but If the Willis Knight is the only competition to to Maxwell wouldnt people buy the Knight even if it ment ordering one. We are talking at least 5 steps up.

Which brings me back to the question would the Maxwell be expected too generate one loss cube in a five player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
This factory was never superceded and continued to produce 14 cars with a parts factory for the remaining two turns.
And only on the remaining two turns right? Because on the third turn, taking only one action to build factories, you can have at most two factories on Hupmobile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.