United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard a news story today where a group of people (white people) were claiming 'reverse discrimination.'

My question is: what in the hell is reverse discrimination? Either you discriminate or not. How does one reverse discrimination? Is there lube involved? Does it hurt?

So is the message here that white people cannot by some fundamental law of nature be the target of discrimination? I'm not making an argument for any form of discrimination, I'm simply trying to understand what the heck reverse discrimination is and why such a nonsensical phrase even exists.

So help me out here of wise people of chit chat. Is this a real phrase or more political correct nonsense run amok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same thing as a 'double agent'. There's really no functional difference from an 'agent', you're just adding the descriptor to show that you're aware of the societal implications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, for me "reverse discrimination" it's nonsense and simply bullshit (sorry for language).

It's really like to show that white people cannot be target of a discrimination...... yeah, sure.

Sorry, even i (in Poland) see the situation when my friend have big problem to convince that he is worth to get some woman (her family was very, very unopen for him)...... well, he was white, and the girl and of course her family was black.....

So how i should named this? Yeah, now i know....

PS. To clear situation - i'm 100% full of tolerance, i spend big part of my young years in Africa (my home was there for 2 years), i don't have any problem with this, and other type of tolerance, but i'm really shocked when someone is making this political corectness bullshit like "reverse discrimination".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it certainly sounds nonsensical, I can see a use for a term like "reverse discrimination" since it represents a more specific concept than generic "discrimination". Reverse discrimination is the concept of being discriminated against via an attempt to avoid discrimination against another group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Although it certainly sounds nonsensical, I can see a use for a term like "reverse discrimination" since it represents a more specific concept than generic "discrimination". Reverse discrimination is the concept of being discriminated against via an attempt to avoid discrimination against another group.
I guess I still don't see the point. I think discrimination is perfectly acceptable for every situation I've ever heard reverse discrimination used. And I'll raise the stakes and say that reverse discrimination makes no sense at all, it would imply that you did something positive to/for someone because you don't like something about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of "positive descrimination" and "reverse colonialism".
But not "reverse discrimination"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought the terms "reverse discrimination" and "reverse racism" were pretty ridiculous. To me, they imply the idea that only minorities are supposed to be discriminated against. As if I, as a white male, should never have to face any of the types of discrimination that non-whites experience. And if I do, well damnit!, that's reverse discrimination or reverse racism, because you're only supposed to discriminate against people that aren't white!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
I've always thought the terms "reverse discrimination" and "reverse racism" were pretty ridiculous. To me, they imply the idea that only minorities are supposed to be discriminated against. As if I, as a white male, should never have to face any of the types of discrimination that non-whites experience. And if I do, well damnit!, that's reverse discrimination or reverse racism, because you're only supposed to discriminate against people that aren't white!
I agree, have an avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy sh** dude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Nate_001 wrote:
I agree, have an avatar.

Now there is "positive descrimination" for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
I thought this thread would be about kangaroos and emus. They can't go "reverse" so I guess they "reverse" discriminate. OK, back it up (bad joke).

I do agree that the terminology shows a underlying bias.We all need to throw out these terms of "race" that were created to divide the people so that the people in power could distract us from what they are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
race is a myth.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abreu wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
Nate_001 wrote:
I agree, have an avatar.

One for you too.

Adding stuff to the beta site has filled Coldie's GG coffers and you were all really generous to me last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Abreu wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
Nate_001 wrote:
I agree, have an avatar.

One for you too.

Adding stuff to the beta site has filled Coldie's GG coffers and you were all really generous to me last week.

I am speachless...
Thank you...
You really got me there, it was suposed to be a joke...

(breaths deeply)

OK now what do I put has an avatar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Abreu wrote:
I am speachless...
Thank you...

(breaths deeply)

A squirrel with a bazooka.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Abreu wrote:
I am speachless...
Thank you...

(breaths deeply)

-DK

Really? I was under the impression that the Portuguese favored ducks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In the employment context, the phrase refers to a situation where a minority applicant is less qualified than a non-minority, but gets the job anyway because the employer wants to fill a quota. The phrase implies that the minority is (or was) at a disadvantage, and that the disadvantage has been essentially over-corrected. It's pretty subjective, obviously.

I don't believe the phrase has any meaning in a dating/social setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

In the employment context, the phrase refers to a situation where a minority applicant is less qualified than a non-minority, but gets the job anyway because the employer wants to fill a quota. The phrase implies that the minority is (or was) at a disadvantage, and that the disadvantage has been essentially over-corrected. It's pretty subjective, obviously.

I don't believe the phrase has any meaning in a dating/social setting.
That's what I thought, but now it's being used whenever a non-minority suffers some form of discrimination. Because obviously if the majority is the target of discrimination the very universe will implode on itself, so it must be reversed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't buy my love, Darth!

I love you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Abreu wrote:
I am speachless...
Thank you...

(breaths deeply)

-DK

I will take any sugestion here please:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3678453#3678453
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
You can't buy my love, Darth!

I love you!
Can I just rent it for a while? You changed it and I didn't notice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.