Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to find any mention here or in the rules. Should Ghouls be scored in decline after they have been redeployed or when the players active race is scored as is usual with a race in decline? I say though they are treated as active they still score as a race in decline at the end of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it make a difference? Just about the only time it would matter is if you attacked your own Ghouls with your Active Race.

We always play it in the following order:

1. Attack with Ghouls
2. Attack with Active Race
3. Redistribute Ghouls and Active Race
4. Score VPs

I'm not really sure if the Ghouls are technically supposed to redeploy before you use your Active race. I suppose it would make a difference in certain situations.

But I am 95% sure that you only Score VPs at the very end of your turn. It would be weird if you scored VPs for the Ghouls in the middle of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Declining ghouls are not "treated as active". Ghouls in decline are a declining race who have the special bonus of being able to attack. This is important to note because the sorcerer can only use their ability on active races and also when a region with declining ghouls is conquered they all die instead of just one.

So to answer your question, yes you do score declining ghouls because they are your declining empire but you do it during the scoring phase at the end of the turn along with the active empire.

Also the way I interpret the rules for redeployment is that you do it immediately after the final conquest, so: ghouls attack, ghouls redeploy, active race attack and redeploy, score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Declining ghouls are not "treated as active".

To be pedantic, as my friend who disagrees with my interpretation, I will quote the rules:

Quote:
In addition, unlike other Races, once In Decline, your Ghouls can continue to conquer new Regions in the following turns, playing exactly as if they were still Active tokens.

I personally think that is an overly broad interpretation of that phrase where it should mean that they are played as active with respect to conquering.

Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Ghouls in decline are a declining race who have the special bonus of being able to attack. This is important to note because the sorcerer can only use their ability on active races and also when a region with declining ghouls is conquered they all die instead of just one.

So to answer your question, yes you do score declining ghouls because they are your declining empire but you do it during the scoring phase at the end of the turn along with the active empire.

Also the way I interpret the rules for redeployment is that you do it immediately after the final conquest, so: ghouls attack, ghouls redeploy, active race attack and redeploy, score.

According to to the clarifications thread you still only lose one ghoul when they are attacked while in decline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for scoring it at the end. I'm not sure why you would, but if you scored them first, then attacked them with your active race, then scored your active race you'd score twice for a given region. The rules seem pretty clear that scoring regions happen at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Attack with Declined Ghouls
2) Redeploy Declined Ghouls
3) Attack with Active Race
4) Redeploy Active Race
5) Score
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fargus9 wrote:
According to to the clarifications thread you still only lose one ghoul when they are attacked while in decline.

Well then I guess I was wrong about just about everything. Thanks for pointing out that clarification though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.