JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, today is the first day back after 2 weeks of shutdown. Two weeks that went WAY too fast for me. But I got a decent amount of gaming in this weekend, so I can't complain that much. And since its Monday, that means that is time to bring your Mini-session reports, and stories of gaming past!

Saturday was my daughters birthday party, so it was pretty busy, but once people started to head home from that, I introducing my brother in law to Battleball. We played 2 games of that. I won the first, he won the second. Then my wife went out with everyone in her family to watch a movie, and I "volunteered" to watch the kids for the evening, so once they fell asleep, I played a couple games of Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne online.

Since Sunday was the final day off, my wife and I wanted to relax and play some games, so we started off in the afternoon with Bohnanza. Then it was on to Stone Age, and I tried out the starvation strategy. My wife was actually pretty interested in seeing how it worked too, which really surprised me, because she isn't normally a "strategy" type person. She blocked me really well a couple of times, but I ended up coming out on top by about 15 points. Then my son wanted me to teach him Last Night on Earth, claiming that he really needed to practice his reading skills before returning to school, and all the reading on the cards would helped. I talked him out of it, and we played a few rounds of Rat-a-Tat Cat, then a couple "games" of Exquisite Corpse, or as we call it, the Monster Drawing Game. We produced a few thoroughly weird creations. Then I tried to convince my wife to learn a new game, and that idea got shot down, as most of our unlearned games left are harder Fantasy/SciFi themes. But I got to say, she is getting better at overlooking theme, the more games I get her into. Then her brother and his girlfriend came over, and we played yet another game of Bohnanza. His girlfriend won by two thalers.

All in all, its been a pretty good two weeks for gaming.

So... What did you play this weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9 games of Long Shot with both 2 and 4 players.
7 games of Dominion with the Intrigue expansion.

Great fun with both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday I got in one game of Kingsburg with my wife and two games of Small World, one with my wife and son and another with just my wife. On Sunday all three of us played another round of Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loads 'o games.

Automobile, FITS, Glory to Rome, Hollywood Blockbuster, Finca, Cities, Vikings and 1960 : Making of the President (disaster lost by 200 playing as Nixon). Started on Notre Dame but realised we were gamed out and watched TV instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Candamir: The First Settlers, which is a happy medium for a D&D guy and a Euro girl. We played All the King's Men last night, a game we had thrifted, and I was curious to give it a try. I think my chess-playing dad might like it. We also played a quick game of Canasta Saturday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal, Vineta, Ys, Metro and Taj Mahal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much except Weboggle. Went to the Maya Lin exhibit at the Corcoran, saw a play that was part of the Capital Fringe Festival, and had brunch downtown at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Much as I love playing games, this was even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No gaming on Sunday, but on Saturday I managed to get in a few games with the fiancée:

I got in my first game of Stephenson's Rocket. It was a little hard to wrap my brain around the strategy. I always wanted to stop and think, but my fiancée kept telling me I was already winning and urged me to play faster. The city tokens disappeared awfully quick and no one ever called a veto, but I think we played all the rules right. I ended up winning 90,000 to 83,000.

Then we played four games of Crokinole. This is my fiancée's favorite game and she kicks my butt regularly, but I do enjoy playing. I lost 3 out of 4 games.

We also played Nexus Ops, which is my favorite little wargame. I won by completing a 3 point secret mission when I flew my dragon from the monolith into my opponent's home base and killed the one measly human guarding a mine. Quite fun.

Then we got donuts and recharged our batteries for three games of Race for the Galaxy. I won 2 out of 3 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went camping on Saturday and got in games with some relatives:

Can't Stop
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Raj

Then came back home and enjoyed some time at the local board game marathon. Only got two games in, but they were both hits with my wife and I:

Finca
Cuba

Both were much better than we expected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
On Friday my wife came home from work with my birthday present: Fortress America, so I played a solo game of that all night.

On Saturday we went to Central Park, read, and played a few games of backgammon.

Quite a lovely weekend, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All day gaming event at Donovan's on saturday...

Villa Paletti x3
Dominion x2
Taj Mahal
Kingsburg
and a rather expensive copy of Crude: The Oil Game

I was, however, not able to get Felicity: The Cat in the Sack on the table. Hey guys, furry creature on cover does not mean cute game for kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Next weekend I'll be able to report playing with Dominion:Intrigue, but this weekend all that got played was 1 game of Silverton (Denver Solitaire $10000 scenario - this time I was victorious and my mines rarely shut down), 2 games of 13 Dead End Drive, 1 game of Shut the Box and 2 games of Arch Rival. Now some report that they can play Arch Rival without the arch falling, but our copy sometimes doesn't even stay up long enough to put anything on it. I'm certain that humidity levels play a part.

At a friend's house I played two games of Great Wall of China and one game of Oregon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my wife and I had a good time starting to fix Iron Horse (not the Metro related one).

I picked it up for a buck and we really bonded over the need to tweak the game to get it to be playable. I'm surprised how fun it is to try to fix an obviously broken game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five games of Dominion: Intrigue and four games of Race for the Galaxy with various expansions as the number of players required.

Intrigue is fun but I'm just learning RftG and that's just so much more enjoyable that I find myself getting through Intrigue so we can move on to Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferran Solà
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
I did play 4 sets of The Fuzztoons with the same 4 players each, and it was very fun as always.

Also 2 quick games of the always there Ticket to Ride, and to end it, a single war of Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game.

Pretty fun and immerse gaming experience for only 2 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday: Dominion x2
Race for the Galaxy x2
Small World
Pirate's Cove

Saturday: Settlers of Catan w/ Cities and Knights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pink Godzilla Dev Kit. It's a fun little card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza *4

Just picked it up on sale at the local Chapters. My wife loves it and is now her favorite game (beat out Lost Cities).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
Bohnanza *4

Just picked it up on sale at the local Chapters. My wife loves it and is now her favorite game (beat out Lost Cities).

I completely agree. Lost Cities is a decent game and I usually don't mind playing but given the choice I'd pick Bohnanza every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Two games of solo Race for the Galaxy, splitting the difference against the Robot with one decent win and one close (3VP) loss.

Followed by a game of Arkham Horror, base set only against Hastur playing solo w/3 random Investigators, which I eventually won.

Not as much time for games, but fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quiet weekend for me - no games over the weekend itself, just our games evening Friday night.

2 x Race for the Galaxy - adding in the new Rebel vs Imperium cards, which arrived (along with Dominion: Intrigue) on Wednesday last week. Two games, one with 3 while waiting for the fourth, then another when the 4th arrived! No goals, just the cards. My only concern with this expansion is that the military strategy seems to always win.

2 x Dominion: Intrigue - similarly we played one 3 player while waiting, and then had to get it out again when the 4th arrived as he wanted to try it!

Power Grid - an odd start, as we had a clover leaf board, and the first two of us started on one region, with the other two then choosing to go in the middle to block us off. Made for a weird game, compounded by the usual power plant blockage mid-game, and an end-game oil shortage.

McMulti - a game where the production strategy was king. We had almost no doubles, so unless you produced stuff you just couldn't make any profit.

Geschenkt - a quick finisher for the end of evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All we seem to have time for lately is Gin Rummy. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I played 14 games of Race For the Galaxy with the new expansion over the course of Friday and Saturday.

On Saturday I also played a game of Indonesia with Minerva, Will, and Eric. It was Will's and Eric's first plays and the game went a bit long, but was still interesting. I was in the lead but got hammered in the late game by being in two competition heavy markets, Oil and Siap Faji. In the end Minerva's rubber monopoly paved her way to victory, with final scores of:
Minerva: 2739
Jesse: 2605
Will: 2259
Eric: 2147

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg x1
Cuba x1
Jambo x1
San Juan x3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb

I played another game of Agricola with the SO, which we are really loving. I'm starting to feel bad though -- he's only won 1 out of the 14 games we've played so far. Hope his enthusiasm continues to hold up.

We also played our very first game of Goa. Definitely want to try this again soon. We probably should have started a little earlier in the evening though -- since it was a learning game, it lasted much longer than it otherwise would have and ran smack into the CrankyTime of the wee hours. I ended up winning when I was able to swap for more expedition cards after having maxed out that category out on the development board (and adding an extra 14 points to my score). Hmm, hope I played that right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.