Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, not to beat a dead horse or anything..

But I finally saw Transformers II: Revenge of the Fallen.

I was really worried about it, because I liked (not loved) the first one. I thought it did a good job in how it was made and presented. I did have some issues with it, but all in all, I did like it and was entertained, and thats the bottom line.

So how did Transformers II do, it was much the same as the first, however the ante was upped. More characters, more of a story line (even if a bit convoluted) and more geek nudges (you know when you're sitting there and nudge your friend, eh.. eh.. it's Jetfire.. Eh.. Eh.. Jetfire eh, cool huh).

All in all, I liked it, a lot of people didn't, and it worried me. Again, I didn't LOVE it, and didn't come out saying it was the best film ever made. It's not shakespear, and it's not even Star Wars. However it's decent, and worth seeing in the theaters, and even worth owning (if you're into that sort of thing).

I think the divide comes from those that grew up with the show, and those that didn't. If you were not a transformers fan before, why would you expect to like it. I saw some reviews by people in their late 40's, who said it was horrible, well of course, you're not the target audience, and to you it's just a movei about a bunch of robots, not about transformers. (if you get my meaning).

My only real complaint is that someone needs to bitch slap Michael Bay the next time he says "ok, we need more camera movement, more transformers on screen moving at incredible speeds in this scene. I don't want to sit still for a nanosecond. I want people to feel excited, and visually nauseated"

He needs to tone some of his scenes down, because they become too busy too fast, and it's hard, especially in a theatre to watch it all at once. It quickly can become a mishmash of "stuff" on screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

I think the divide comes from those that grew up with the show, and those that didn't. If you were not a transformers fan before, why would you expect to like it. I saw some reviews by people in their late 40's, who said it was horrible, well of course, you're not the target audience, and to you it's just a movei about a bunch of robots, not about transformers. (if you get my meaning).

I'm 33 and loved the cartoon, and still have some of my Transformers kicking around (my 4-year-old loves playing with them).

That movie sucked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

I'm 33 and loved the cartoon, and still have some of my Transformers kicking around (my 4-year-old loves playing with them).

That movie sucked.

And, on the flip side: I just asked our youth group last night if any of them had seen the movie, and 3 of them had. None of them grew up with the TV show, and yet they all loved the movie. In fact one middle schooler (who admittedly probably hasn't seen that many movies in his life yet) said "It was the best movie I've ever seen!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still remember I was sad in that episode set in the future when they resurrect Optimus Prime and he dies again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up on the Transformers, and the reason why I liked the show is not just that there were robots punching each other, but that the show told good stories and had great characters compare it to, say, the Go-bots, or even MASK.

I don't want to pile my opinion on you, but you are making some broad strokes, and I don't think that it is entirely fair. I love action movies. I love giant robots smashing into each other. I have a serious soft spot for the franchise. I wore Hound and Cliffjumper out transforming them so much (those were my favorites). I haven't seen Transformers II, but the first one was offensive.

If it was just the cool military stuff in the beginning, I would have been right there, but after they introduced Shia LaBeouf's character, I knew we were in trouble. As irritating as he and his thin and pointless story was, it doesn't compare to the awkward overt racist stereotyping, the golden shower scene, complete lack of any logic involved in the action, plot threads that just disappear throughout the "film".

I also would like to actually see the robots, rather that just watching a CGI blur.

Honestly, if the movie just had robots beating the crap out of each other with no plot at all I would have been sold, but unfortunately, someone tried to write and failed. If the second movie is more inane it may be to its benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

That movie sucked.

I'm 34, loved the cartoon, loved the offshoot 'Beast Wars' cartoon so much that I created about 5 seasons of FanFics and created a persona that remains my screenname.

I met my wife through a message board devoted to Beast Wars!

The first movie sucked. My wife told me not to bother watching the 2nd one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I saw it this weekend too. I didn't mind it so much, just got tired of all the toilet humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bangin' on 40's door and watched Transformers in my yoot.

I wanted the toys sooooo bad.

I was highly annoyed when Megatron's original gun form was no longer available because OMG-it-looks-like-a-real-gun-OMG.

I hated the first movie. It was a visual mess. My kids wanted to watch it several times, though - why? Because of the one scene with the guy playing videogames talking about his grandma - that's all they enjoyed about it. Keep in mind they like Tyler Perry movies, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
I'm 34, loved the cartoon, loved the offshoot 'Beast Wars' cartoon

27. Huge fan of Generation 1 and Beast Wars. Beast Machines not so much, in fact, that sucked. But Beast Wars had some serious good writing in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
I still remember I was sad in that episode set in the future when they resurrect Optimus Prime and he dies again.

And then they resurrected him again. Prime is a tough mofo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Rihar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched them a month apart and in my humble opinion the second one is much much better than the first. But I agree, that there are some scenes where everything really does move too fast.

edit: but I'm just 21, so I didn't know what to expect. And I didn't watch the first one for so long because I thought it's some wannabe Power rangers crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I give you: the cure for the common Michael Bay (who should be forced to endure the Ludovico treatment via his own movies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you just say "via" in conversation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You win a cookie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
Keep in mind they like Tyler Perry movies, too.

Tyler Perry is the antichrist. I hate him with the white hot passion of a thousand burning suns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.