Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for a Wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

Yep, but not just any wargame. Other than my regular club I have only one opponent so it needs to be something fairly specific.

First, no hex's with counters that are too big for them arranged in 3 stacks with a moral marker on top. These things are just way too fiddly - I've got plenty in the loft and they never come out.

Second, it needs to play quickly, 6 to 7 hours should be the top end as we can leave it set up over night but over the whole week.

Recently we tried Napoleon's Triumph - which is excellent but its learning curve is seriously steep. On the other hand it scored everywhere else with a really neat set of victory conditions, and a clever innovative system that lacked any obvious gamey exploits. After that, due partly to the 'oh god I can't remember what the rule is' syndrome of NT I picked up a copy of EastFront II.

EFII was a lot of fun, though again the designer seemed to not understand the concept that hexes should be large enough for units, what is that about? This lasted for a good month or two's entertainment, which is pretty good for a hex wargame. Unlike NT the rules are simple and unoriginal so picked up in the first game. It also had some really elegant ideas with the supply system. Unfortunately the victory conditions are shockingly badly though out (especially W'41 which starts with the player on the offensive having a victory) and the supply system is open to serious exploits. My opponent isn't really open to house ruling so that box has now been permanently shelved.

So I'm looking for something else that might have more replay value. Any thoughts?

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to avoid hexes, go for areas instead. If you want replay value try something with cards.

Some suggestions: Both have a low-ish counter density for the length of game.

Unhappy King Charles!
Card driven game about the English Civil War. Takes about 4-5 hours.

España 1936
Spanish Civil War. Takes about 4-5 hours.

You have mentioned block games, here are some other suggestions:
Hammer of the Scots
Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83

Lower density of blocks and the strategies is more open than EFII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about one of the Combat Commander: Europe series?
they have nice big hexes so you dont have to stack , and they play out quite fast too

or Rommel in the Desert which is a block game with a nice big map and small density too

Looking at your owned games, perhaps you could break out Space Hulk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing a lot of Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege recently. There's very little stacking as hexes are only supposed to hold 2 steps of unit .. and nearly all the units in the game start at 2 steps before they get damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Martin Wallace's Waterloo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Robert,

I think you need to try out a card driven wargame (CDG). I can recommend several excellent CDGs that can easily be played in under 6-7 hours (or have scenarios that play under that time limit) and have a great deal of replayability. In addition, all the games below use point-to-point movement, rather than hexes and have low counter density.

Wellington - The Peninsular Campaign. The game lasts a maximum of 3 Turns and can end during, or at the end of, Turns 1 and 2. Can easily be played in 3-4 hours or less, once you've played the game through once or twice.
Kutuzov - Napoleon's 1812 Russian Campaign. Basically the same system as Wellington, but with some additional rules for morale and attrition. 4 Turns, so can take slightly longer to play if it goes to the wire.
Paths of Glory - I'd never have thought that a game about WWI would be so tense and exciting. The entire game lasts a maximum of 20 Turns (probably about 20 hours of gaming), but there are shorter scenarios that can be played in your 6-7 hour timeframe.
The Halls of Montezuma - The Mexican-American War 1846-48. I've just started playing this game for the first time and already it feels like it's going to be a favourite. It's fairly simple and quick: the designer claims that it can be played in 2-3 hours. Ignore the bad press you might see about this game - it's undeserved.

I hope you find something that you like.

Cheers,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggest you look into Victory Point Games. For the most part VPG's games are easy to learn, play very quickly (typically 60-90 minutes), and have a lot of replay value. Also nice is the fact that VPG's games cost about half the price of more "mainstream" wargames.

I'll admit to being VPG's developer for their Napoleonic20 series, and acknowledge that I'm probably a bit biased. However, if you check out the comments about the various VPG offerings here on BGG, you'll see they're all rated pretty highly. You can also visit VPG's website where the rules and many of the components for their games are available for your review. This should give you a better feel for whether VPG's games will fit your needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions (including digging Space Hulk out). I've had a look through the list and was able to discount a few, but have added Espana 1936, Waterloo, Paths of Glory, No Peace without Spain, Halls of Montezuma to a possible list.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and here I was going to suggest you trade SH away.........

have fun playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.