Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
HIS165

Ottoman: Simon Haldon
Hapsburg: Jeromey Martin
England: Greg Forster
France: Jon Karlsson
Papacy: Jeff Heidman
Protestant: Philip Thomas

Our group considered this game so abnormal that we decided to immediately play another game with the same power assignments. The bizarreness goes down in Turn 4.

Turn 1

Diplomacy

England receives a card draw from the Hapsburg.

Deployment

Ottoman deploys to Nicopolis, Hapsburg to Besancon, England to Calais. France plays Spring Preparations and deploys to Milan. Papacy does not deploy.

Religious Conflict

The Theses take Brandenburg, Magdeburg, Leipzig, Erfurt and Breslau. The Protestant wins the Diet 2-1 on five dice to six, flipping Kassel. After spending an impulse helping France take Florence (see below), Protestant puts 1CP each into the German and French New Testaments, flipping Melanchthon. He then puts 1CP each into the German and English New Testaments, flipping Luther.

Eastern Theater

Ottoman uses his home card to build in Nicopolis. England then plays Knights of St. John for the event; Ottoman loses Janissaries Rebel. Having lost a card, he decides to pass out the turn. England subsequently plays Revolt in Egypt, so he must also send three units.

Western Theater

Hapsburg builds up his Besancon stack then besieges Metz. Next impulse he takes it. After passing a couple of impulses, he marches south through Geneva, controlling it, and besieges Lyons – but his subsequent assault whiffs.

Southern Theater

The entire French stack in Milan moves to Modena, controls it, then besieges Florence, leaving one regular in Modena. Papacy builds mercs in Ravenna, then attacks the regular in Modena. Francis and two regulars intercept from Florence, then the Papacy adds two mercs with Swiss Mercs, then France plays Arquebusiers. On five dice to seven, Papacy wins 5-4, capturing Francis but retaining only one regular. France then makes a deal for the Protestant to play Treachery! on his turn targeting Florence, and the city falls. Papacy builds two mercs in Ravenna and moves them to join the regular in Modena, then moves the regular and one merc to the empty Milan, besieging it. His next turn he controls Modena and assaults Milan, but both his assault dice whiff, as does the French defense die.

Special

England uses his home card to DOW Scotland and France intervenes. By prior agreement, England lets France have Edinburgh for the turn, then France empties it during winter.

English play of Knights brought 2CP to St. Peter’s.

Protestant uses his home card to retrieve Sack of Rome from the discard, and holds on to it.

New World

Cartier discovers the Pacific Strait but dies in the attempt to circumnavigate; Chancellor takes the Amazon; Cabot finds the St. Lawrence for France; De Vaca would have found the St. Lawrence but instead gets bupkis; Cordova conquers the Inca; Hapsburg and England send colonies.

Score

Ottoman: 8
Hapsburg: 12
England: 11
France: 18
Papacy: 17
Protestant: 2

Turn 2

Diplomacy

Hapsburg accepts Lyons from France and gives England three mercs. France gives the Protestant two card draws (for Treachery! the previous turn).

France then sues both the Hapsburg and the Papacy for peace, recovering Lyons from the Hapsburg and Francis from the Papacy.

Deployment

Ottoman deploys to Nezh, Hapsburg to Cartagena, England to Berwick, France to Grenoble. Papacy deploys a reinforcement to Ravenna.

Religious Conflict

Papacy opens with Indulgence Vendor, snagging Swiss Mercs. Hapsburg completes the German New Testament (flipping Luther) and takes Lubeck, Brunswick, Hamburg, Bremen, Munster, and Stettin. He puts 2CP on the German Bible, flipping Melanchthon for another. Later he puts in another 3CP, then uses Sack of Rome to complete the German Bible for 3CP, flipping Bucer; he misses in Nuremburg and Mainz, takes Koln, misses in Prague and Norwich, takes Amsterdam. He splits the remaining 2CP between the French and English New Testaments. With treatises he then takes Mainz, Trier, Nuremburg and Worms; he also puts a CP into the English New Testament, flipping Tyndale. He then publishes again, flipping Zwingli and taking Augsburg and Innsbruck.

Eastern Theater

Ottoman besieges the Knights in Rhodes. Hapsburg plays Threat to Power to remove Ibrahim, but it’s only for the turn. France then plays Janissaries Rebel for unrest in Durazzo, Scutari, Sofia and Nicopolis. Ottoman assaults Rhodes with Suleiman but Protestant plays Gout (from a deal with the emperor). On the same impulse the Ottoman assaults with just four units and takes the city. Later he removes unrest in Sofia.

Western Theater

Hapsburg starts the turn playing Fuggers. England besieges the empty Edinburgh and takes it.

Southern Theater

Late in the turn, Francis leads his stack over the Alps to Turin, to reinforce Milan that winter. Hapsburg plays Andrea Doria to ally with Genoa.

Special

England asks for a divorce.

France builds chateaux.

Papacy puts 9CP into St. Peter’s in addition to the 1CP from Indulgence Vendor.

New World

De Soto finds the Missisipi, Verranzano circumnavigates and Rut takes the Great Lakes, completing all possible explorations; Pizarro conquers the Aztecs; Hapsburg and England send colonies.

Score

Ottoman: 10
Hapsburg: 18
England: 14
France: 20
Papacy: 17
Protestant: 7

Turn 3

Diplomacy

Hapsburg allies with England, England gives the Papacy two card draws for a divorce and accepts a card draw from the Protestant (offered as incentive for an early divorce), France offers alliance to the Papacy and the Protestant but is declined by both.

Hapsburg DOWs France and Venice. Papacy intervenes to activate Venice. Papacy also DOWs France.

Deployment

Ottoman deploys to Nezh, Hapsburg to Geneva, England to Calais, France deploys one unit to Boulogne,

Religious Conflict

Protestant plays Katerina Bora, flipping Zwingli and taking Salzburg, Regensburg, Basel, Strasbourg and Norwich. He then puts 1CP into the English New Testament and 4CP into the French New Testament, completing it; flipping Bucer, he takes Liege, Metz, and Besancon, misses in Dijon, takes St.Dizier, and misses in Brussels. On an Ottoman play of Defender of the Faith, Papacy takes back St. Dizier, Besancon and Metz.

Eastern Theater

Ottoman besieges Belgrade. Hapsburg uses Roxelana to send Suleiman back to Istanbul. Ottoman assaults Belgrade with Ibrahim, taking it. He then controls Szegedin and removes unrest in Nicopolis.

Western Theater

England, seeing the Hapsburg stack cross the Alps first impulse (see below) rather than march to Lyons as he was expecting, concludes he has been double-crossed by the Hapsburg and offers a cease-fire to France, which accepts.

Southern Theater

First impulse Hapsburg crosses the Alps and controls Turin, intending to besiege Milan, but France plays Foul Weather when he crosses the Alps so he can’t move again (though, in accordance with the wording on the card, the move to Turin stands). France plays Charles Bourbon to put the renegade leader and accompanying mercs in Florence. Papacy moves troops from Ravenna to Venice, then a stack of four from Venice to Modena and then attacks the French stack in Florence; he plays Field Artillery. On six dice to seven, it’s a 2-2 tie. Charles’s stack besieges Milan. Papacy raises two mercs in Ravenna and moves them to Modena. Hapsburg uses Halley’s Comet to force France to discard his last non-home card, Venetian Alliance. Papacy excommunicates Francis, placing unrest in Grenoble and Avignon. Hapsburg assaults Milan, scoring 2-1 on eight dice to five; the same impulse Alva besieges Bordeaux. The next impulse he takes Milan. The following impulse he uses Treachery! to take Bordeaux.

Special

Henry’s first marriage (during the diplomacy round) and second marriage (using his home card) produce no offspring. He gets a third marriage from a "bonus" roll (and curses himself for not being allied to the Protestant, missing a card draw), producing sickly Edward.

Papacy puts 3CP into St. Peter’s.

Score

Ottoman: 12
Hapsburg: 20
England: 19
France: 16
Papacy: 18
Protestant: 9

Turn 4

Diplomacy

Note: The Hapsburg starts the turn with 10 cards and only two keys needed for the Auto-Win. However, fiercely contested negotiations to produce a five-way alliance against him falter when the Papacy and the Ottomans do not reach agreement. Ottoman instead allies with the Hapsburg to attack the Papacy, and England and France team up to try to stop a Hapsburg Auto-Win.

Ottomans ally with the Hapsburg. England allies with France and gives him four mercs; he also allies with the Protestant. France makes peace and an alliance with the Papacy, and allies with the Protestant, giving him a card draw.

Ottoman DOWs the Papacy.

Deployment

Ottoman plays Spring Preparations and deploys a large stack to Cerignola. Hapsburg deploys to Trieste, England to Nantes, France to St. Dizier. Papacy deploys a reinforcement to Venice.

Religious Conflict

Protestant completes the English New Testament, flipping Cranmer; he takes Portsmouth, Plymouth, Bristol, Wales, Shrewsbury, and Lincoln. In the Leipzig Debate, Eck burns Coverdale at the stake 4-1, flipping Wales, Plymouth, and Bristol. Protestant puts 2CP into the English Bible, flipping Tyndale. He then puts 1CP on the French Bible, flipping Olivetan, and 3CP on the English Bible. Hapsburg, foreseeing a Protestant win, plays Calvin Expelled for the event. Papacy starts a debate in England but Latimer beats Contarini 0-2; Protestant flips Edinburgh and Glasgow since England is also close to winning. Protestant completes the English Bible, flipping Bristol, Stirling, Plymouth, York, Carlisle, Berwick. Protestant puts 1CP into the French Bible. He is now holding only his home card and Schmalkaldic League. France plays Michael Servetus to force him to discard the League. Papacy starts a debate in England; Cajetan and Latimer tie 1-1, then Tyndale beats Aleander 0-2. Protestant flips Wales, Brussels and Lyons. Protestant publishes a French treatise with Bucer, but loses in both Metz and Besancon; he publishes another one but loses in Brest and Limoges. He puts his final CP into the French Bible, which he can't complete due to the Servetus discard, but he's clinched the game anyway (once the League forms at turn end).

Western Theater

Hapsburg raises troops in Valladollid and moves them to Corunna first impulse. England moves all four regulars from Calais to Nantes, then besieges Alva in Bordeaux with the combined stack. France’s large stack in St. Dizier besieges Metz. Two Hapsburg regulars from Antwerp besiege the empty Calais, and the Hapsburg moves four ships from the Mediterranean to the Bay of Biscay. England uses 2CP to combine his fleets in the Channel. France passes, then Protestant plays Sale of Moluccas so France can draw two cards. England’s five ships attack the four Hapsburg ships, but on ten dice to eight England loses 1-3, with two English ships sunk and no Hapsburg losses; seeing his fortunes lost in Bordeaux and worried about Calais, he breaks the siege and marches his stack to Rouen. France assaults Metz and takes it in one fell swoop, winning 4-3 on seven dice to five. Dreaming of an easy assault on the empty Calais, the four Hapsburg ships in the Bay attack the three English ships in the Channel. But it turns out the Hapsburg fleet is commanded by Admiral Ackbar ("It’s a TRAP!") and the Hapsburg loses 0-5 on eight dice to six. He only has one more CP to spend and prefers to spend it taking Florence (see below) so the two regulars in Calais do not return to the safety of Antwerp. England’s stack swoops through Calais and eliminates them, then besieges Antwerp, now holding only two defenders. He takes it the next impulse, playing Siege Mining to be sure. Charles and company march from Florence through Nice, controlling it, and besiege Marseilles. However, he only has one card left and his assault fails to take the city.

Southern Theater

First impulse, Ottoman besieges Rome (with Ibrahim) and Ravenna (with Suleiman), controlling Ancona on the way. Hapsburg besieges Venice and launches his ships. Papacy launches his Venetian fleet and the ship in Ravenna to the Adriatic. Ottoman builds a fleet in Coron (where he already has a sizeable navy). Ottoman and Hapsburg make a deal under which the Hapsburg will attack the boat docked in Rome (clearing the way for the Ottoman assault) and the Ottoman will attack the fleet in the Adriatic. Andrea Doria and three ships attack the Papal ship in Rome, but on eight dice to three they tie 1-1 and the Hapsburg loses a ship. Papacy moves his fleet from the Adriatic to the Tyrrhenian (Barbarossa’s fleet at Coron fails to intercept); Andrea Doria evades to dock at Genoa. Ottoman plays Unsanitary Camp to kill two regulars inside the besieged Rome. Hapsburg announces he’s not attacking the Papacy any longer and moves his stack from Venice to besiege the French in Florence, controlling Modena on the way. The Ottoman fleet launches to the Ionian, then splits up - Barbarossa and three corsairs to the Adriatic and four squadrons to the Barbary Coast. The single Papal ship in the Adriatic successfully evades to dock at Ravenna. This forces the Ottoman to fight it in the port (because corsairs don’t count when determining whether you can besiege a port); on the same naval move his four squads on the Barbary Coast attack the Venetian ships in the Tyrrhenian. In Ravenna he loses two of the three corsairs but does sink the Papal ship; in the Tyrrhenian, though, he loses 3-5 on eight dice apiece, losing three of his own boats while sinking one Venetian boat. He assaults Ravenna and takes it. The Hapsburg takes Florence. The Papacy, not realizing that the Ottoman has an LOC to Rome from his Hapsburg ally in Naples, sails from the Tyrrhenian to attack the single remaining Ottoman ship on the Barbary Coast, sinking it, then continues around to the Adriatic and sink the remaining corsair with Barbarossa aboard. Suleiman brings some extra regulars down to Rome and takes the city.

Special

Papacy puts 2CP into St. Peter’s.

Score

Ottoman: 16
Hapsburg: 19
England: 26
France: 17
Papacy: 11
Protestant: 27

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't fail to take the extra space (turn 4 Aleander debate). The Pope had already flipped it for me- it was Wales, which was the only English-speaking Catholic space left, hence the Pope didn't need to consult me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I didn't fail to take the extra space (turn 4 Aleander debate). The Pope had already flipped it for me- it was Wales, which was the only English-speaking Catholic space left, hence the Pope didn't need to consult me.

Ah, that explains it. I will correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have noticed another, rather more serious error.

My final CP was on the French Bible, but it didn't complete it: the French had put paid to that by forcing my discard of Schmalkdic League earlier. I was on 27 points even without the French Bible bonus (which I never achieved)- all because of the erratic debating of Aleander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eastern Theater

Ottoman besieges the Knights in Rhodes. Hapsburg plays Threat to Power to remove Ibrahim, but it’s only for the turn. France then plays Janissaries Rebel for unrest in Durazzo, Scutari, Sofia and Nicopolis. Ottoman assaults Rhodes with Suleiman but Protestant plays Gout (from a deal with the emperor). On the same impulse the Ottoman assaults with just four units and takes the city. Later he removes unrest in Sofia.

How come?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How come what?

A lot of powers ganged up on the Ottoman, for which they were well paid by the Hapsburg. Actually this moment annoyed the Ottoman, which may be one reason for his decision to invade Italy rather than Hungary in Turn 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought the "Threat to Power" card removed the leader on whom it was played for the rest of the game. How come Ibrahim was removed "only for the turn"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Threat to Power can remove a leader from the game. When it is played and the target chosen, a die is rolled. On a 1-3 the target is removed from the game, on a 4-6 he is only removed the turn (Or possibly the other way around, but it is a 50% chance either way). So the card is not as good as you thought. In this case it looks like the Ottoman was only taking Rhodes that turn anyway, so the card play was ineffective (Which France probably wanted it to be!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether it's for the turn or the game depends on a die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Have noticed another, rather more serious error.

My final CP was on the French Bible, but it didn't complete it: the French had put paid to that by forcing my discard of Schmalkdic League earlier. I was on 27 points even without the French Bible bonus (which I never achieved)- all because of the erratic debating of Aleander.

Ah. I will correct.

I write these based on the ACTS journal, which is how errors like this creep in. I very much appreciate your corrections!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Philip and Sam for enlighening me on this. I recalled an earlier post from the designer expressing surprise at how few players played this card as an event. It all makes sense to me now.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Forster wrote:

Our group considered this game so abnormal that we decided to immediately play another game with the same power assignments. The bizarreness goes down in Turn 4.

I've only played the game once, and not recently, so I'm unable to translate the detailed description you gave into a narrative. Could you explain to this Here I Stand novice what the bizarreness was?

Thanks in advance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwb3 wrote:
Greg Forster wrote:

I've only played the game once, and not recently, so I'm unable to translate the detailed description you gave into a narrative. Could you explain to this Here I Stand novice what the bizarreness was?
Thanks in advance...

In real life, The Ottoman Empire was OK with Christianity--Istanbul was (and is) one of the major locations for the Greek Orthodox Church. But for them to end up in control of Rome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The events in Italy were the wierd part. The Ottomans invaded Italy in alliance with the Holy Roman Emperor... and conquered the Papal States. Normally they would attack Hungary or stick to Piracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
The events in Italy were the wierd part. The Ottomans invaded Italy in alliance with the Holy Roman Emperor... and conquered the Papal States. Normally they would attack Hungary or stick to Piracy.

I have seen the Ottoman invade Italy from time to time, but never a coordinated simultaneous strike with the Hapsburg. And the fact that he had Spring Prep in combination with the Hapsburg alliance meant he was able to move in a huge stack right up close and personal on impulse one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers; I think I begin to understand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.